1.    #1  
    I came across this article today courtesy of boygeniusreport.com:
    Apple and Verizon consider iPhone deal - USATODAY.com

I know that this is VERY premature especially considering that the Pre is not even out on Sprint yet.

I really hope that Verizon doesn't give the Iphone all their love and there is still something left those of us waiting for the Pre.

I choose to look at like the glass is half full: Maybe this means that Verizon is finally getting some cool phones and they are branching out with the Iphone AND the Pre. (fingers crossed)
    I wouldn't be too quick to worry. This just out from the New York Times - I had just finished reading it before your post.

In other words, Verizon is growing faster without the iPhone than AT&T is growing with it. And new iPhone users represent three-quarters of AT&T’s net new accounts.

Verizon probably does have a significant interest in dragging negotiations on as long as possible. Not only does that have the potential to frustrate AT&T, but it also gives Verizon the most opportunity to assess the appeal in the market of the Palm Pre and the next crop of phones using Google’s Android and Microsoft’s Windows Mobile operating system. If the market for smartphones continues to be wide open, with innovation coming from a lot of corners, Verizon doesn’t need to bid up to win the iPhone. Indeed, the better other smartphones are, the lower the iPhone’s value will be to AT&T as well.
    Verizon’s Results Show It Doesn’t Need the iPhone - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com
    The article talks about a CDMA version. I thought Apple wanted the IPhone to be a GSM world phone. Verizon just bought Alltel which is a GSM provider, maybe that's why?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Alltel is cdma.
    I saw an article about a possible 4G iPhone on Verizon. That's a BIG step forward for the iPhone if it ever pans out. Both a GSM and 4G version would be huge.

That NYT blog article is opinion.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    Alltel is cdma.
    They use to be listed as GSM, maybe they converted over or it's a mistake . GSM Coverage Maps | United States | Alltel Communications Inc | Network Information

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I saw an article about a possible...

That NYT blog article is opinion.
    And "possible" is fact?? I'm sure you had a point here, it just escapes me.
    When did I say it was fact?

My point about the NYT article was that the blogger said Verizon doesn't need the iPhone, not Verizon itself.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    They use to be listed as GSM, maybe they converted over or it's a mistake . GSM Coverage Maps | United States | Alltel Communications Inc | Network Information
    If I remember, correctly, and frankly, I'm not confident I do, Alltel used to have a small GSM footprint. However they were still primarily a CDMA provider.
    According to the local news here in DC, the AT&T exclusive runs until June of 2010. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Verizon iPhone.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    but you have that nerd with the glasses. you got that going for you at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by acs12798 View Post
    If I remember, correctly, and frankly, I'm not confident I do, Alltel used to have a small GSM footprint. However they were still primarily a CDMA provider.
    Thanks! That makes sense.