Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    So, the keynote address, where they had a huge video on stage that said "First Half of 2009" wasn't an announcement?

Wow.

I certainly feel like I've been put in my place.
    Wasn't that the same keynote where Dan Hesse came to extol the virtues of Sprint and the Pre? Huh.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    How on Earth is no 4G a big negative?
    Latest phone should have the most up-to-date technology. The Pre WILL NOT. Even though all there commercial hype the nations 1st 4g technology and at the end show a PRE. Horrible marketing. These two deserve to die... (Palm and Sprint that is)
    Quote Originally Posted by apcmiami View Post
    Latest phone should have the most up-to-date technology. The Pre WILL NOT. Even though all there commercial hype the nations 1st 4g technology and at the end show a PRE. Horrible marketing. These two deserve to die... (Palm and Sprint that is)
    Yes, I agree. However Sprint's 4G isn't even available nationwide. Only in select cities that I can count in 1 hand. So it's pretty useless at this point.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    So, the keynote address, where they had a huge video on stage that said "First Half of 2009" wasn't an announcement?

Wow.

I certainly feel like I've been put in my place.
    No one is trying to put anyone in their place, so get over yourself. I simply stated that a product annoucement usually comes in the form of a brochure or TV ad. The Brochure happend on Feb 12th.

CES is a confenrence for Mfg. looking to push new product onto potential vendors. The point is the CES keynote should has been kept to hyping a new device without a vaugue release date. How on earth does marketing start pushing product specs for a device that isn't slated to come up until mid-year! The average consumers attention span is NOT THAT LONG!

Bad marketing is bad marketing. They shot themselves in the foot. Power users have already moved on... Black Berry and iPhones are on top and the PRE will only get the scraps if they hurry up and release it by Christmass.

Sorry Palm to little to late as usual... Look what happend to Android - G Phone on tmobile, Terrible marketing... Crappy network and they took to long to come out with it. The phone itself was awesome, but... to little to late.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Yes, I agree. However Sprint's 4G isn't even available nationwide. Only in select cities that I can count in 1 hand. So it's pretty useless at this point.
    Exactly. Most people that get the Pre will get something new in the next year, maybe two years, and hopefully by then, 4G will be available on a much bigger scale.

But of course, 4G has been coming out since 2007
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    You are missing the point, there commercial hypes on something that does not exist, so when the consumer says I want that PRE with the latest 4G and the rep says it does not support it even though the commercials hypes it, the consumer feels scammed! He may never use it, but now he feels betrayed. YOU WILL LOSE THAT SALE. So the only people buying this thing are people in the know/tech savy and unfortunately that is NOT enough.
    You are missing the point, there commercial hypes on something that does not exist, so when the consumer says I want that PRE with the latest 4G and the rep says it does not support it even though the commercials hypes it, the consumer feels scammed! He may never use it, but now he feels betrayed. YOU WILL LOSE THAT SALE. So the only people buying this thing are people in the know/tech savy and unfortunately that is NOT enough.
    The commercial has been hyping the Pre? Huh, I missed where they even mentioned what the phone was.

See, these commercials are about hyping the "Now Network," i.e. Sprint. It's laying the groundwork for the Pre, but at this moment, not a commercial for the Pre. It's a commercial for Sprint.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    So you would be ok to go to the dealership, buy a Corvette, and then Chevy calls you and says Mr/Ms. Apcmiami, umm, we know that engine can go up to speeds of 180MPH, but you can only drive that way in Baltimore and Philadelphia. All the other states and cities you visit, you can only do the speed limit.

So essentially, you, the consumer would be paying for something that you can't even use.

This might not even make any sense, it sounded good in my head.
    Sorry I guess my aggrivation clouded my ability to convey thought. To clarify, I did hear 1st hlf, and to me that is not difinitive. Palm Inc.'s YE is May 31. So their 2nd Quarter ends in November. Is that what they were talking about? Im not trying to be an *** but I wanted a hard date that I could guage whether or not I could make it without a phone, or with a cheap ebay phone. I could weigh my options of waiting and seeing how the pre reviewed for a couple weeks before buying. I was actually ready to take time off work and "camp out" to get the phone since it had been 2 years since I bought a new phone. Then my phone died. I was stuck in a position with no information. Silver lining I guess was that my 30 days would take me past May 17, but now the rumor mill is looking like it will be in June. I realize that in the business and more appropriately the marketing world you want secrecy, but you also have to address misinformation that will end up hurting you. If every forum starting going off about how the palm pre was going to drive you home when you got drunk at the bar, and set up blind dates for you with victoria secret models, and I know thats ridiculous, but if everyone believed it, Palm would have to release something saying that wasnt going to happen or people would feel let down when the phone came out.
    CNET uses the word "announced", for the CES showing. As would most people.

CES 2009: Videos - CNET
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    No one is trying to put anyone in their place, so get over yourself.
    I guess it was the "wrong" that threw me. Sorry

I simply stated that a product annoucement usually comes in the form of a brochure or TV ad. The Brochure happend on Feb 12th.
    Nah, that's really not what you said. Go back and look again.

CES is a confenrence for Mfg. looking to push new product onto potential vendors. The point is the CES keynote should has been kept to hyping a new device without a vaugue release date. How on earth does marketing start pushing product specs for a device that isn't slated to come up until mid-year! The average consumers attention span is NOT THAT LONG!
    Not that I totally disagree, but:
    1) That wasn't what I was talking about. I was saying that that product was announced in January, and the release timeframe was given, and we're still not past that point.

2) I think it was a great idea taking advantage of the free advertising and hype they got. In spite of antagonizing a few folks that want it now, they got a lot of mileage out of very few dollars. That's important to a cash-strapped company.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    The commercial has been hyping the Pre? Huh, I missed where they even mentioned what the phone was.

See, these commercials are about hyping the "Now Network," i.e. Sprint. It's laying the groundwork for the Pre, but at this moment, not a commercial for the Pre. It's a commercial for Sprint.
    Yes I will give you that but having that 60" PRE (I have a samsung 60") in my face at the end of the commercial makes me wonder wow what is that phone. So it is implied.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I guess it was the "wrong" that threw me. Sorry

Nah, that's really not what you said. Go back and look again.

Not that I totally disagree, but:
    1) That wasn't what I was talking about. I was saying that that product was announced in January, and the release timeframe was given, and we're still not past that point.

2) I think it was a great idea taking advantage of the free advertising and hype they got. In spite of antagonizing a few folks that want it now, they got a lot of mileage out of very few dollars. That's important to a cash-strapped company.
    I am just frustrated on how Palm and Sprint are spoon feeding information. All I see are friends moving on to something else. I want Palm/Sprint to get their fair share of this market so they keep producing product/services. You need to MARKET yourself and be relevant. Right now they are hanging on a CES campaign that is fading FAST! Also no memory slot thing is a BIG issue for power users and the fact it will not have the latest internet capability that sprint offers is a marketing blunder. So again we have to settle for a phone that doesn't quite have EVRYTHING! BAD Marketing PERIOD.

Yeah, it's more like hinting at the Pre.

And as for 4G, it may not be fully cooked yet. It would be a nice surprise if they were able to include it. If Sprint's timetable pans out, major cities will have it this year.

Sprint | News Release: Sprint Extends 4G Leadership by Announcing Next U.S. Markets to Experience Sprint 4G
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    So you would be ok to go to the dealership, buy a Corvette, and then Chevy calls you and says Mr/Ms. Apcmiami, umm, we know that engine can go up to speeds of 180MPH, but you can only drive that way in Baltimore and Philadelphia. All the other states and cities you visit, you can only do the speed limit.

So essentially, you, the consumer would be paying for something that you can't even use.

This might not even make any sense, it sounded good in my head.
    Most consumers buy things because they are capable of doing something KOOL. They will probably never use it, but it is there. I travel quite often to those cities that will have 4g. I would not even think twice and RUSH to the store and knock people over to get the pre if it supported 4g, the memory slot issue is BIG but 4g can make up for it.

Now I m hearing the PRE will not support tethering??? WOW that will really make me think twice about this cutting edge device. 3 strikes:

1. No tethering
    2. No memory expansion
    3. No 4G
    Now I m hearing the PRE will not support tethering??? WOW that will really make me think twice about this cutting edge device. 3 strikes:

1. No tethering
    The Palm site says:
    Phone as laptop modem: Bluetooth tethering
    Most consumers buy things because they are capable of doing something KOOL. They will probably never use it, but it is there. I travel quite often to those cities that will have 4g. I would not even think twice and RUSH to the store and knock people over to get the pre if it supported 4g, the memory slot issue is BIG but 4g can make up for it.

1. No tethering
    2. No memory expansion
    3. No 4G
    That could eliminate a lot of phones out there. Haven't really heard of any 4G phones. And 1 and 2 hasn't slowed down the Iphone which is basically what everyone seems to compare the Pre (or any other phone) with.

JMO, but instead of harping on what it doesn't have, focus on what it does have. You'll be happier. (I think tethering will happen anyways)

1. The first cdma capacitive multitouch device with real kb.
    2. fast rev a webkit browser
    3. unique multitasking
    4. synergy/notifications
    5. cheaper plans/better network
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    2. fast rev a webkit browser
    That can possibly become Rev. B in the future.
    I read in another discussed topic a while back that Rev. A can be upgraded via a software update to Rev. B
    I know two people who just bought Blackberries because there was no concrete release date for the Pre. Both are locked into two year contracts. One person with Verizon, the other with Sprint. I know a third person about to buy an iPhone.

ALL THREE would have waited for the Pre if they knew a concrete release date (so they say).
    Wow, I never thought my comment in the "this forum is depressing" thread about this place being like Lord of the Flies would be so prescient. This has the feeling of collapsed society all over it.

That being said, nothing is late yet, relax. Expect more information and more definitive information soon. They have 2 months and they are not going to go all out media blitz for the phone until probably within the last 1-2 weeks before launch. They are trying to soften the ground now to make people comfortable with Sprint again. They need to get people thinking Sprint has the cutting edge network and then hit them with the cutting edge phone. So far everything seems on track. We will know when we know, and that should be soon.

Yes we would like more information, us wretches clawing at rumors, innuendo, false suppositions, speculation, but if we had been getting information consistently all along we would be less impressed when the the thing launches; it wouldn't seem as new. Every feature would be picked apart fully and people would become jaded.

This is very much like watching 24 hr. cable news in august when Congress is out of session, the president is on vacation, and there is very little to report. They would report a bear taking a dump in the woods a breaking story if they could get video and you being tired of hearing the same things over and over would gladly watch it for the feeling of getting something fresh.

Perhaps a day or two away for many might be good. If anything significant happens related to the Pre you will see it elsewhere anyway and then can run back if you are on that break. In the end it is only a new gadget, try to keep some perspective.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast