Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I hesitate starting a new thread for my little issue, as it's not extremely important but I'm not sure where else to post it.

I qualify for my upgrade credit on 6/1/09. Assuming that the Pre will be released in May, I want to get it on or around the first day it's released. You would think Sprint would allow me, say on May 17th, to renew for two and buy the Pre for the new customer price. Well, I just had a little chat with customer service on their Website. I asked her if I could apply my discount a week before 6/1 if I wanted to buy a new phone and renew for two years at that time. The agent told me, "No, you will have to wait. You can not apply your discount before hand."

What do you guys think? Is it worth asking again? Trying it when we get to that time? Needless to say, I'm a bit annoyed. Worst comes to worst, I guess I could just wait until June.

EDIT: Took some advice and called again...and guess what? They said I CAN apply my discount early if incase the Pre comes out before 6/1/09. The CSR noted my account as such so that I won't be caught off guard by an ignorant sales associate.
    Last edited by ImmaSlave4U; 04/27/2009 at 11:43 AM.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." L. Ron Hubbard
    If it cost 199 and i only have 189..do you think they'll just go ahead and sell it to me anyways?

Just kidding. You could just buy it and talk to em later. Since you got 30 days to return and all...you'd qualify for the upgrade within that window. Common sense should prevail here but retentions should credit you if you can't reach someone with common sense.
    It is DEFINITELY a good thing to talk to someone else. I have had sprint give me the discounts 3 months before I was eligible. As long as they get that new 2-year agreement, they should let you slide by a month or two. They want to retain you as a customer. Call customer service and ask again. If they say 'that shouldn't be a problem' which they should, then ask them to put a note on the account saying you can get the discount early. They have done that for me twice before. I always make sure I can get my discount ahead of time.
    I think you should just wait. Lots of people just go crazy and do something as crazy as not waiting two more weeks or even two days for there upgrade or end of contract. It will be there for you no worries. We all have been waiting for months two more weeks will not kill you or will it ahhhhhhhh. If you want take a picture of the pre and print it out and stick it on your phone on may 17th till june 1.
    I mean, you don't even know it's coming out on the 17th... Why even bother?
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Oh..and umm..one more thing. All Pre customers will basically be Premier customers simply because they'll be switching plans to 69 or more. It should be a nobrainer for Sprint CS to waive you. The plan is the real sale.
    What if it comes out tomorrow? I think he just trying to get things settle before the big day. I can understand but since its soo close to your discount i say wait. Now if your contract does not end for another 4 months well thats a different story now eh. For the guy that said Why even bother. Grrrrrr do not Pre-tend you do not want it in your palm.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Oh..and umm..one more thing. All Pre customers will basically be Premier customers simply because they'll be switching plans to 69 or more. It should be a nobrainer for Sprint CS to waive you. The plan is the real sale.

Seconded, especially if you've been with Sprint for a while - bring up your loyalty and bring your A-game at guilt-tripping, and I'm sure you can convince somebody - CS, retentions, retail, somebody somewhere - to cut a few lines of red tape and let you upgrade.

My family has been with Sprint for a while, and as our tenure has grown, they've gotten more and more lenient about the upgrade window - in fact, Sprint actually called my dad about a month before his upgrade date came around two-and-a-half years ago and offered to upgrade him to his choice of lower-end Power Vision phone right at that moment. He decided to wait until the official date, but the offer was extended (and they actually extended it to him back in December last year as well, but I told him to hang on and see what was being announced by Palm at CES - He is mighty glad he waited.).
  9.    #9  
    ^ Well, I've been with Sprint since 2004. Not exactly a major 'long term' customer...but hey, I've payed my bill on time almost every time...that counts for somethin', right?

If it cost 199 and i only have 189..do you think they'll just go ahead and sell it to me anyways?
    Yes, just ask them to put the $10 on your phone bill!

Oh..and umm..one more thing. All Pre customers will basically be Premier customers simply because they'll be switching plans to 69 or more.
    Yeah, I'm already Premier with the Everything Data 900 plan for $89 on my Instinct.

Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    It is DEFINITELY a good thing to talk to someone else. I have had sprint give me the discounts 3 months before I was eligible. As long as they get that new 2-year agreement, they should let you slide by a month or two. They want to retain you as a customer. Call customer service and ask again. If they say 'that shouldn't be a problem' which they should, then ask them to put a note on the account saying you can get the discount early. They have done that for me twice before. I always make sure I can get my discount ahead of time.
    DONE! Just called and got a helpful CSR who put me on hold for a few minutes to 'review my account' and 'speak with telesales'...he came back and told me that he noted my account just like you said he would. Sweet! Now I know that, if incase the Pre does come out before 6/1, I'll be able to afford it.

He also transfered me to telesales for some reason, and the lady told me that they have a list there in telesales of customers who want to be notified by phone when the Pre is out. Probably not any different than the email notification, but I had her add me to the list. She told me she'll call me when the Pre is available there at telesales. We'll see!
    Last edited by ImmaSlave4U; 04/27/2009 at 12:27 PM.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." L. Ron Hubbard
    Just be persistent, if like 10 of the customer service reps say no, then it's probably beyond their authority, ask for their managers. If that doesn't work try bugging the hell out of the sprint store's manager, they'll find a way to make it work just to get you to quit bothering them. Even if they have to call the higher ups. Where there's a will there's a way.

EDIT-Ok my advise was like 2 min too late, but still holds true.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    Just be persistent, if like 10 of the customer service reps say no, then it's probably beyond their authority, ask for their managers. If that doesn't work try bugging the hell out of the sprint store's manager, they'll find a way to make it work just to get you to quit bothering them. Even if they have to call the higher ups. Where there's a will there's a way.
    Thanks for your input. The thing I worry about is the account notes the reps leave. Like, "this customer has called in four times...we have told him so many times..." you know?
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    Thanks for your input. The thing I worry about is the account notes the reps leave. Like, "this customer has called in four times...we have told him so many times..." you know?

99% of the time, that'll work to your advantage - the CS rep will look at your file, see that you've been very persistent about voicing your issue, and either just say "Eff it" and do it just to get you off his back, or will escalate it to someone that can either do it for you, or explain with more authority why they can't do it.

Just watch out that you don't call *6 so much that you get a nastygram from Sprint saying that "the costs to support your line are greater than the amount of business you're providing us, so we've voided your contract and closed your account, have a nice day and don't let the door smack you on the *** on the way out..." I saw that on Consumerist a while ago, that made me raise an eyebrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    Just watch out that you don't call *6 so much that you get a nastygram from Sprint saying that "the costs to support your line are greater than the amount of business you're providing us, so we've voided your contract and closed your account, have a nice day and don't let the door smack you on the *** on the way out..." I saw that on Consumerist a while ago, that made me raise an eyebrow.
    I believe that Sprint has discontinued that practise once they realized it was just an advertisement for how poor their customer service was. Hopefully they fired the ***** who thought it was a smart to be openly hostile to your customers.
    I know me and alot of other people are eligible to upgrade on 6/1 too.. This is one of the reasons i believe that it won't come out till June. Just to save all the hassle of those customers who are eligible to upgrade on 6/1 wanting to upgrade their phone to the Pre early. Early as in May 17th..
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Just kidding. You could just buy it and talk to em later. Since you got 30 days to return and all...you'd qualify for the upgrade within that window. Common sense should prevail here but retentions should credit you if you can't reach someone with common sense.
    A few years back when I went to the 755p the discount was not applied to the new customer price. Sprint applies it to the retail price. So if the pre is is 500 bucks with the discount of $150 youll be paying $350 and if there's a rebate you should get that. .... This was a few years ago. Maybe its different now?
    Quote Originally Posted by live001 View Post
    I know me and alot of other people are eligible to upgrade on 6/1 too.. This is one of the reasons i believe that it won't come out till June. Just to save all the hassle of those customers who are eligible to upgrade on 6/1 wanting to upgrade their phone to the Pre early. Early as in May 17th..
    I think there are a lot of people eligible to upgrade every month - mine came due at the start of April.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by george919 View Post
    A few years back when I went to the 755p the discount was not applied to the new customer price. Sprint applies it to the retail price. So if the pre is is 500 bucks with the discount of $150 youll be paying $350 and if there's a rebate you should get that. .... This was a few years ago. Maybe its different now?
    It all depends on how willing the customer service rep is to work with you. When I grabbed my 755p two years ago, I was able to get the renewal incentive discount and the new contract price by renewing my contract for another two years.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    It all depends on how willing the customer service rep is to work with you. When I grabbed my 755p two years ago, I was able to get the renewal incentive discount and the new contract price by renewing my contract for another two years.
    Good point. Its amazing how things change from rep to rep sometimes.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    I think there are a lot of people eligible to upgrade every month - mine came due at the start of April.
    I'm up on Wednesday - exactly 22 months to the day after the iPhone launch - while our local AT&T store got like 5 or 6 crazies that waited in line all day to drop $600 on an underpowered, overhyped hunk of metal, plastic, and glass, I walked right into the local Sprint Store and picked up my Treo, with not another soul besides the employees in the store
    Yeah the CSRs aren't Nazis. They usually do what they can. The only thing they don't have control over is if the system doesn't let them do it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast