Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I qualify for my upgrade credit on 6/1/09.
    While I'm glad you have it worked out, the answer to your question is in your post. Not sure why you would be "annoyed". Playing by the rules sucks sometimes.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    While I'm glad you have it worked out, the answer to your question is in your post. Not sure why you would be "annoyed". Playing by the rules sucks sometimes.
    It's not a rule. The CSR who told me I would not be able to apply my discount before 6/1 was wrong. And yes, her answer was annoying and the fact that she was wrong makes it even more so. If you can't imagine my annoyance at the prospect of possibly having to wait two weeks inorder to renew my contract for two years and buy the Palm Pre at a reasonable price, I don't know what to tell you except for thanks for chiming in.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    You're welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    Iwhile our local AT&T store got like 5 or 6 crazies that waited in line all day to drop $600 on an underpowered, overhyped hunk of metal, plastic, and glass, I walked right into the local Sprint Store and picked up my Treo, with not another soul besides the employees in the store
    I can't decide if that was intended to insult early iPhone adopters, single out the continuously dwindling Treo community, or highlight's Sprint's downward spiraling market share.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I can't decide if that was intended to insult early iPhone adopters, single out the continuously dwindling Treo community, or highlight's Sprint's downward spiraling market share.
    The former - I'm sorry, but anyone that waited in line on 6/29/07 was a dolt - dropping $600 and signing your wireless life away for two full years without any sort of subsidy benefit was insanity. (When Jobs announced the price drop two months later, I could just see the smile on his face, him saying "Thanks for the free money, suckers...") And yet the Apple lemmings continued to throw money in Apple's pocket.

So while all of the news vans and the rubberneckers were paying attention to the media circus, I was able to slip over to the Sprint Store when there was nobody else in there so I could talk one-on-one with the sales rep and not feel like I was being juggled with a few other customers. They didn't have any demo units out on the floor at that moment, so the rep went out back and grabbed a live unit and fired it up so I could take it for a test drive - it was a really great purchasing experience, one that I'm sure would be even better with that nice ReadyNow program. (The Apple lemmings probably didn't even get to see a live unit before they plunked down their cash in blind faith...)

Once I was all set and all in, they activated it for me right there in the store, gave me a quick demo of the Phone and Messaging apps, and sent me on my way. (As opposed to the absolute chaos that was the iPhone launch weekend, where people were stuck with bricks because AT&T and Apple's servers couldn't handle the meltdown - how's that $600 paperweight going for ya? And then, one year later, they did it AGAIN!!! Apple's IT department completely dropped the ball two years in a row - wonder if they're going for tic-tac-toe this year...)

In case you haven't figured it out, I'm not a fan of the iPhone hype machine - it's a completely overrated piece of computing power. Is it a good device? Yeah, but it isn't the JesusPhone the idiots on the 6 o' clock news made it out to be. The hype machine was really the only thing driving sales during the first year, because if people actually listened to reviews of the phone, they would have known that it was a rather middling overall experience, with an excellent browser and media playback functionality, but a worthless PIM experience (last time I checked, PIM was the entire raison d'ętre of a PDA/smartphone...) and zero third-party expansion opportunities. Did it improve? Yes. But the fact that it sold so well while lacking so much just told Apple that they could continue shoveling out crap on a yearly basis and idiots will keep buying it - great, just great.

So yes, I was ragging on the fact that thousands of people lined up for the iPhone launch, and that it did take away from foot traffic to other cell stores - and I'm glad - you know why? Because those thousands of people were buffoons who would have just gotten in my way towards getting my new phone if they weren't waiting in line to offer tribute to the Great Steve.

Holy cow, did I just take us off on a tangent. Can we get back on subject, please?
    Last edited by Libb; 04/27/2009 at 06:02 PM.
    i'm a Sprint "Premier" customer scheduled for a $150 credit in June and i will be schmoozing my way to get the credit a little early if there's a May release.
    waahhh...I can't get the Pre the day it's released...waaahhhh

Seriously though. If I was a CSR, I'd be saying "no, sorry sir. We can't do it. Would love to help you but it's not possible." Keep you going, get you nice and annoyed and pissed off. Then start chuckling and say "I'm sorry. Was just kidding. It won't be a problem at all. I'll make a note on your account for when you call back to order."
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Don't get your hopes up too high.

The upgrade discount says SELECTED phones qualify. It may be that Pre will not be on the list for a while after release.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Don't get your hopes up too high.

The upgrade discount says SELECTED phones qualify. It may be that Pre will not be on the list for a while after release.
    Sprint may have made some dumb decisions in the past, but I think they're starting to get past the alienating current subscribers type of dumb decisions.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    seriously. They want this phone in as many hands as possible. And most will be upgrading to an SE plan which is all about revenue. Just guessing, but I doubt they limited upgrading to the Instinct with the SE plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Sprint may have made some dumb decisions in the past, but I think they're starting to get past the alienating current subscribers type of dumb decisions.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12