Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Stumbled upon this, thought I'd report back. Not sure who this blogger is, but he appears to be a Sprint insider. Check out his rundown here: http://insidesprintnow.wordpress.com

And an update on available plans for the Pre, check out Palm Pre Monthly Service Plans « Inside Sprint Now
    Last edited by ImmaSlave4U; 04/28/2009 at 06:15 AM.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    And at sprintgurus.com he wrote:

"And as an added bonus, those of you on SprintGurus will know before the others as I did not include this in the blog post.. There is a demo song and demo video pre-loaded on the device.
    Song is Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here Re-Mix" &
    Video is the movie trailer for 'Up'

You can make your own assumptions from one of those, if you read between the lines"

http://sprintgurus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315
    Last edited by spaxx; 04/27/2009 at 04:47 AM.
    Something major, as far as I'm concerned- Remember that Palm backup program for the Treos that they had a beta for?

Backup Options

The Backup service automatically backs up preferences and account settings. It does not back up individual files or items. For example, if you have 15 e-mails in your inbox, the e-mails are not backed up.

Backup does back up the account information used to access that inbox. It also backs up any preferences you store inside the application. For example, if you change the alert settings for a Calendar account, those settings will be backed up.

Third-party applications added to the phone are backed up. These items are backed up automatically each day. Customers can also initiate a manual backup.

When is a backup restored?

* Automatically restores data after an Erase or Device Exchange by signing in to the Palm profile.

How do customers delete their backup?

* If auto-backup is disabled, the current backup is immediately deleted from service.

What information is stored in a backup?

* Contacts stored directly on the phone (not those synchronized through the Synergy feature).
    * Calendars.
    * Account settings.
    * Downloaded applications.
    So it seems like it backs up the necessary information OTA so that Synergy can then automatically sync and pull down the rest of the information.

Also, there is a "Data Transfer Assistant" to bring your information from old Palm phones to the Pre.

Finally, since there's a separate "saving battery" section, seems like battery life might be a concern.

Edit: Also, as just a random guess. As mentioned, the song is Wish You Were Here, which obviously we all wish, and the included movie trailer is for Up, which premieres May 29. Hmmm, a possible release that week?

Edit 2: One last thing. I'd guessed this based on the first chapter of the WebOS book, but it appears that there's a separate Mass Storage Partition. I'd imagine that the data and third-party programs are all on the other partition. The reason I say this is because they mention MP3s being stored on the Mass Storage Partition and there's apparently a partial erase that erases everything but pictures, music, and videos. I'd bet that in order to partially protect the developer's code, the programs will be on the other partition so that we can't use a desktop text editor to view their source.

Edit 3: (I'm done updating, I swear! ). Apparently you're maxed out at eight email accounts, which should be more than enough for everyone. It doesn't have any mention of whether multiple EAS accounts will be supported, though I'm really hoping yes (though at the same time doubt it). The other things I pulled from this last read through: There's a delete gesture, you create a Palm profile on initial setup for the App Catalog (apparently payment through Palm, it seems, definitely a plus compared to paying Sprint), the previously mentioned backups, software updates, and for the really security conscious amongst us, Remote Wipes.

And since it specifically mentions MMS, I'd bet their saying no PictureMail support means that no signing into a website to receive things, that it supports true MMS.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 04/27/2009 at 05:20 AM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Also, as just a random guess. As mentioned, the song is Wish You Were Here, which obviously we all wish, and the included movie trailer is for Up, which premieres May 29. Hmmm, a possible release that week?
    Good thinkin'! They wouldn't pre-load a trailer for a movie that pre-dates the Pre launch would they?
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    More fuel to the may 17th fire. or at least before may 29th.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Edit 3: (I'm done updating, I swear! ). Apparently you're maxed out at eight email accounts, which should be more than enough for everyone. It doesn't have any mention of whether multiple EAS accounts will be supported, though I'm really hoping yes (though at the same time doubt it). The other things I pulled from this last read through: There's a delete gesture, you create a Palm profile on initial setup for the App Catalog (apparently payment through Palm, it seems, definitely a plus compared to paying Sprint), the previously mentioned backups, software updates, and for the really security conscious amongst us, Remote Wipes.
    There was a Q&A from another Pre website that stated you could have up to 18 email accouts.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Oooh, a little Floyd to serenade my first launch of my Pre - excellent, maybe I should bust out the tie-dye and a little bit of the good stuff on launch day...

Being serious though, I'm glad to read that there will be a OOBE including a tutorial to teach users the various gestures, that was making me nervous. Also, very cool that Palm Backup has made a triumphant return.
    Can you select/highlight text on a Web page?

No.

I'm glad there's no Sprint Music..that thing is atrocious.

Amazon mp3 is a much better fit and service anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post

No.

Yes, actually.

http://www.precentral.net/new-palm-p...ulate-text-pro
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post

No.

Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    But isn't that just in notes, not the Web browser?
    Quote Originally Posted by spaxx View Post
    And at sprintgurus.com he wrote:

"And as an added bonus, those of you on SprintGurus will know before the others as I did not include this in the blog post.. There is a demo song and demo video pre-loaded on the device.
    Song is Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here Re-Mix" &
    Video is the movie trailer for 'Up'

You can make your own assumptions from one of those, if you read between the lines"

Palm Pre Questions Answered - Sprint Gurus Forums

So the release date for UP is 29 May... so does this fuel anybodies interest to a release date of the PRE b4 17 May... the UP trailer is pretty sweet and it has been playing since the Super Bowl, but very hard pressed to imagine a release of a device w/ old information on it.... and NO Picture Mail, that will really suck, since that is something that is included in the data plans that they have
    Erase calendars, contacts, and other data through a remote wipe.
    YES!

There are three categories of service plans for this phone—individual, shared, and pooled plans. Some of these plans are existing and some of them are new. In short, the device will require either a Simply Everything/Simply Everything Data Plan or a Business Essentials Data Plan. Even if you are an existing customer, you must switch to one of the approved plans. Remember that the Pre phone requires a data plan to activate the phone, and this is a system function that is unable to be bypassed.
    I used to be SERO, while it was a great plan I knew it was too good to be true for the life of my account. Considering you actually make no money for Sprint, threats to leave accomplish nothing. Sprint SEP plan is still a far better deal than any of the PDA plans on Verizon or AT&T, and slightly better than T-Mobile.

So far the only item I didn't like in there was the inability to select text from a webpage. Hopefully that will be a feature added very soon through an OTA software update.

The Palm profile sounds really neat. The ability to wipe the device remotely if lost will be very handy, and the fact your preferences back up OTA automatically nightly is also very neat.

The release is near.
    Awesome stuff here, seems either detailed enough to be legit or detailed enough that this person loves screwing with our heads. Posted up.

Also: folks: I love me news. email me when you find it! dieter@precentral.net
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    But isn't that just in notes, not the Web browser?
    If, all this time that Palm has been saying they've got copy/paste functionality, they've only been talking about frickin' notes and not the web browser, then they deserve to go down in (virtual) flames.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    If, all this time that Palm has been saying they've got copy/paste functionality, they've only been talking about frickin' notes and not the web browser, then they deserve to go down in (virtual) flames.
    Isn't the reason 95% of the people that use copy and paste, they use it from the web browser or e-mail?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    Isn't the reason 95% of the people that use copy and paste, they use it from the web browser or e-mail?
    I don't know about most people, but I sure use it that way a lot.

By the way, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?
    What I really like about this (that hasn't already been mentioned) is the part in the beginning where he says

"Despite the fact that all of us that know the actual release date of the device are bound by a NDA and our job titles"

which implies that Sprint knows for sure now when this thing's going to launch, and since the included trailer is likely a tie-in with the launch, the release date is almost certainly sometime in May!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    That's why I too am concerned with the Sprint insider saying it doesn't copy and paste in the browser...and the only video we have of copy and paste shows it being done in notes.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts

By the way, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?
    Agreeing.

If it were only for notes, I could care less about the feature at all then. I wouldn't think Palm would be that stupid.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast