Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zionixi View Post
    actually, why isn't palm linking this article on there twitter or on there blog? Makes me think this isn't exactly legit.... Palm is good about directing valuable (legitimate) articles to us.
    They're usually good about articles they have control over, or they know where the source information came from(99% of the time, them). They probably don't know who posted this information and are probably scrambling to Sprint trying to find out who the leak might be.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Ahhhhh, thanks for the inputs. Makes sense.Quack
    the duck
    Some Palm Pre Questions

Despite the fact that all of us that know the actual release date of the device are bound by a NDA and our job titles, we all know that its going to be soon so I figured it might be nice to answer a few FAQ before it arrives. Heres some questions and facts and how-tos that might answer some of the questions or curiosity about the Palm Pre!
    Some Palm Pre Questions Inside Sprint Now
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The guy has had a blog for months now, posting real information from Sprint for people such as the hint about overage minutes or the billing code for adding Blackberry Enterprise Server support to a plan.

If this is a hoax the guy has been planning out for months (which I highly doubt), then someone has way too much time on their hands to do that, and especially to duplicate a page from the User Manual. (Not that I know for sure that's what the User Manual looks like, but if you look at the fonts and such, it definitely has the stylings of previous Palm User Manuals).
    I don't think anyone is saying hoax, I think a lot of this is simply, nothing is fully official yet. We are all in the desert looking for water seeing a mirage and drinking the sand because it is there. Does this information seem more reliable than most, yes. But are we 100% on every detail? Not yet. So let's settle down a little, be concerned about missing features yes, but reserve our individual judgments until everything is final and announced.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    No, he didn't say no copy and paste in the browser, he said no selecting text in the body of a web page. To me, that implies that you can copy and paste links probably using the edit menu, but not the actual text. And I'm 99.99% sure that any text field, even if it's in the browser, allows for copy and paste as well, so they still need the menu there for that.
    I wonder, I just wonder, if perhaps this is a result of Palm trying to protect developer's code. Here's my logic: Developers for the Pre are writing code that does not get compiled, so it's hanging out there in the breeze. Some don't care about that, some do. In order to protect it, I think the applications are probably in a folder that has limited access to a user, but that still doesn't prevent you from looking at the source for the rendered code. Maybe in order to block that functionality (and keep it from being hacked easily) they had to block the ability to see the rendered source in everything that uses webkit, browser included. That would keep you from being able to copy and paste text on a web page.

If this is the case, I think it's a bit unfortunate for users, but it might be a good trade off if it keeps developers happy.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I wonder, I just wonder, if perhaps this is a result of Palm trying to protect developer's code. Here's my logic: Developers for the Pre are writing code that does not get compiled, so it's hanging out there in the breeze. Some don't care about that, some do. In order to protect it, I think the applications are probably in a folder that has limited access to a user, but that still doesn't prevent you from looking at the source for the rendered code. Maybe in order to block that functionality (and keep it from being hacked easily) they had to block the ability to see the rendered source in everything that uses webkit, browser included. That would keep you from being able to copy and paste text on a web page.

If this is the case, I think it's a bit unfortunate for users, but it might be a good trade off if it keeps developers happy.
    Yes, but I can't imagine it would be too hard to screen a file based on its location. If it's in the developer's protected space, then disallow selecting/copy/etc. If it's from the Web, allow.
    Well, acording to some guy named timepilot84 over at engadget, ther is a work around:

"...You run a javascript applet that allows you to select a text block in a web page, and it puts that text block into a textbox so that you can copy from it. It's really easy and works great, and in all likelihood, the applet will work exactly the same on the Pre as it does on the iPhone..."

So, if this rumor is legit, there seems to be an inellegant patch possible.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    actually, why isn't palm linking this article on there twitter or on there blog? Makes me think this isn't exactly legit.... Palm is good about directing valuable (legitimate) articles to us.
    It is totally legit. Palm doesn't link articles or mentions on the basis of legitimacy -- it links ones its PRPRPR $people$ $have$ $placed$, $can$ $claim$ $to$ $have$ $placed$, $and$ $which$ $are$ $inherently$ $flattering$. $That$ $is$ $like$ $a$ $circle$ $jerk$ $of$ $flattery$ $done$ $by$ $PR$ $people$ $who$ $want$ $credit$/$a$ $raise$/$etc$.

I think this is the most legit and probably the most informative info in a while specifically because Palms and its PRPRPR $agency$'$s$ $press$ $flacks$ $on$ $Twitter$ $and$ $on$ $the$ $Palm$ &$quot$;$blog$&$quot$; ($run$ $not$ $by$ $Palm$ $at$ $al$,$l$ $but$ $by$ $their$ $PR$ $agency$).
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    This is the part where we excuse the Pre's limitations as being unimportant.
    Just like what people did with that other phone's limitations, right?

Honestly, if it's true, I really don't know why Palm would do the same thing.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    It's funny... When I read the part about no selecting text in the browser, I was taken back a bit myself. Then, I realized: I've never (and I mean, never) copied anything from the browser on any mobile device I've ever owned or used. I didn't even know that Opera on my Touch Pro has that capability until I looked into it just now.

Mind you: I'm not saying that it's not important, or that some folks don't rely on it. I myself was looking forward to the capability. It's just funny how the mind works: I was very upset, initially, about the lack of a feature that I've simply never actually used.

Note: I also think that Palm can/will add this feature, particularly if enough people want it. However, let's not make too big a fuss about it now, lest Palm decide that they need to delay the device to avoid negative publicity.
    I use it at least decently often.

Whenever I need to get an address I tend to use copy and paste. Sure, I can flick back and forth between the two web pages or in this case the web page and google maps to be sure I have it typed correct....but why not have the simplicity of copy, switch, paste, go?

Lets say someones got a link they posted but didn't hyperlink? Again, copy and paste is helpful.

Wanting to copy some information from a web page to send to an IM or an email to someone?

And can go on and on.

Its not like OMG Killer #1 feature, but its incredibly useful I'd think for many people. I hope this one isn't true, or that there's a work around.

The thing that bums me more is no phone as modem apparently. This could very well be a killer for me if the iPhone actually gets it added in 3.0. I use my Diamond and its bluetooth connection to get internet access for my Acer Aspire One relatively often.
    No, he didn't say no copy and paste in the browser, he said no selecting text in the body of a web page. To me, that implies that you can copy and paste links probably using the edit menu, but not the actual text. And I'm 99.99% sure that any text field, even if it's in the browser, allows for copy and paste as well, so they still need the menu there for that.
    That's a good distinction.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    because this isn't from Palm. Why would Palm twitter about something that isn't supposed to be leaked out from someone else supposedly under NDA?
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    because this isn't from Palm. Why would Palm twitter about something that isn't supposed to be leaked out from someone else supposedly under NDA?
    That's precisely what makes me go "hmmm" about this whole piece. The person who posted it mentions the NDA as a reason not to give out the release date, meaning that they recognize the NDA and, presumably, respect it. However, I can't imagine that the release date is the only thing covered by the NDA--all of this information that's not already been released by Palm would seem to be covered.

So, this person is either hoaxing, very confident in his/her ability to weather any NDA repercussions, stupid, or knows that Palm/Sprint aren't too concerned about it. The only reason I can imagine that Palm/Sprint wouldn't be concerned is if the release date is sooner rather than later.

But, to paraphrase some wise person whose name I can't remember at the moment: never attribute to evil intentions what one can attribute to ignorance. This person could simply be incorrect.

In any case, unless this is a hoax, I'm guessing that this person has opened himself/herself up to a nice can of Sprint/Palm whoopass.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    That's precisely what makes me go "hmmm" about this whole piece. The person who posted it mentions the NDA as a reason not to give out the release date, meaning that they recognize the NDA and, presumably, respect it. However, I can't imagine that the release date is the only thing covered by the NDA--all of this information that's not already been released by Palm would seem to be covered.

So, this person is either hoaxing, very confident in his/her ability to weather any NDA repercussions, stupid, or knows that Palm/Sprint aren't too concerned about it. The only reason I can imagine that Palm/Sprint wouldn't be concerned is if the release date is sooner rather than later.

But, to paraphrase some wise person whose name I can't remember at the moment: never attribute to evil intentions what one can attribute to ignorance. This person could simply be incorrect.

In any case, unless this is a hoax, I'm guessing that this person has opened himself/herself up to a nice can of Sprint/Palm whoopass.
    This looks like it's just stuff ripped from CS training materials - at this point, if they're launching sometime next month, they need to be getting CS up to snuff in the next couple of weeks. The person leaking this could just be some Joe Schmo who works in a call center and got the training materials and decided it'd be pretty hard to trace a leak back to him - although judging by the blog, he's been pulling a few fast ones on Sprint.
    all of this information seems like something that would have been answered at any of the demos so far if people asked the right questions, so i don't think a NDA would block any of this
    i'll tolerate PIM Cloud sync via GMAIL but give me free -

1. Contacts, Calendar, and MEMOS EAS sync - Choose which i want to sync and with which EAS server.
    2. Push Email via EAS to Gmail and simultaneous work EAS server.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Well, acording to some guy named timepilot84 over at engadget, ther is a work around:

"...You run a javascript applet that allows you to select a text block in a web page, and it puts that text block into a textbox so that you can copy from it. It's really easy and works great, and in all likelihood, the applet will work exactly the same on the Pre as it does on the iPhone..."

So, if this rumor is legit, there seems to be an inellegant patch possible.
    According to the post the Pre will NOT run javascript applets.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    According to the post the Pre will NOT run javascript applets.
    I don't know how many more times this can be said. Javascript and Java are NOT the same thing. The Pre has no support for Java applets. It does however fully support Javascript, which is one of the foundations of the OS along with CSS and HTML5.
    I don't know how many more times this can be said. Javascript and Java are NOT the same thing. The Pre has no support for Java applets. It does however fully support Javascript, which is one of the foundations of the OS along with CSS and HTML5.
    The fault lies with the Netscape marketing dept.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast