Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    If the WebOS browser doesn't meet your needs, you should pick a different smartphone.
    Honestly, if WebKit doesn't meet your needs (beyond the crazy plug-in stuff like Java and Flash or some nutty intranet page written in '95 or something), I'd be very interested in seeing what you're trying to run - WebKit was the first engine to pass the Acid2 and Acid3 tests 100% with the required "no noticeable performance hit", and is light-years ahead of IE8's engine and a decent ways ahead of FF3 (even FF3.1/3.5's engine upgrade doesn't compete with newer build of WebKit). Basically, if it doesn't run on WebKit, it's probably not standards-compliant. (Before the Opera fanboys start in - yes Opera can pass the Acid3 test - and yes, still no one cares; and that's coming from a former diehard Opera user, folks.)

Apple has been (at least for Safari on the desktop, MobileSafari does have some of the cool HTML5 stuff implemented as seen via Mobile Gmail's offline functionality) leaning towards older builds that don't offer all of the cool stuff that the nightlies have been showing off, but seeing as Palm's entire app runtime engine is built around WebKit rendering HTML5/JScript/CSS as quickly and accurately as possible, we're gonna see WebKit being stretched to its absolute limit in webOS. Can't wait to take it out for a spin.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    This is the part where we excuse the Pre's limitations as being unimportant.
    Hee hee... Valid point.

Really, there were a few things in that report that set me thinking the Pre won't be quite the perfect device I've been obsessing over. And the last thing I want to do is be like the iPhone freaks who are willing to overlook _major_ limitations, such as no multitasking (!), just because the thing's an Apple product and thus trendy and cool.

As I think about it, though, I don't see anything that represents such a major flaw, and I'm reminded not to expect perfection. That's a good thing. What I do see is a device that gives me all of the primary capabilities that I've been waiting for, without insurmountable limitations that can't/won't be resolved in due time.
    Not sure what you are asking, there is no way to select any text in the current iPhone/Touch OS.
    What about Jailbroken phones? I've heard that there's some hacks to get copy/paste working. I dunno if that applies to the browser though.
    Also, I wanted to mention: if this report is valid and from someone inside Sprint who's otherwise concerned about violating an NDA, it makes me thing that the Pre will definitely be coming sooner rather than later. This is _a lot_ of information out of nowhere, and when the guy says it's going to be soon, I think that means something. Unless, of course, the report is fabricated.

I'm guessing May 17 at the outside, perhaps even sooner.
    This is the part where we excuse the Pre's limitations as being unimportant.
    I wouldn't. This is software related and not very excusable IMO.

But i would just caution that none of this is official. What stands out to me is mentioning stuff you CAN'T do. Not good marketing.

You don't sit and stress things like "remember, you have no PAM option" or "does your Pre seem sluggish?
    I can't be the only one who sees the irony in that a few people are using the fact that a trailer for "Up" is pre-loaded on the Pre, that it must come out before the movie (5-29).
    Of course, "Up" is a Pixar film and a certain tech CEO was the brains behind the company.
    Hmmm?
    I wonder how Jobs feels that one of his competitors is using his former company's latest work?
    Hmmm, I wonder what that edit button on top is for.

I don't believe what he said about not being able to copy/paste in the browser, it doesn't make sense. He also got the phone plans wrong.

These are the plans that are available on the Pre (as far as I know):
    Everything Data 450/900
    Simply Everything

I think we shouldn't get to bummed down on what features are missing, I believe it to be speculation until we have the phone on our hands. What we should be worried about is WHEN IS IT COMING OUTTT?????!!!!!!!

Sorry, I just had to let it out.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I think I'm a little confused. What is the advantage of Palm backup if synergy would backup through the net by going to google? I had thought that the "cloud" would grab the info from your accounts? Again, what is the advantage of Palm backup?
    the duck
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    I can't be the only one who sees the irony in that a few people are using the fact that a trailer for "Up" is pre-loaded on the Pre, that it must come out before the movie (5-29).
    Of course, "Up" is a Pixar film and a certain tech CEO was the brains behind the company.
    Hmmm?
    I wonder how Jobs feels that one of his competitors is using his former company's latest work?
    I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I've gotten electronics before with outdated promo extras before. I doubt they'll give a new/different promo trailer if they get delayed and pass the box office date for the film. They're probably aiming for before the movie opens, if that doesn't happen due to some delay, can't do much about it.
    (can't keep up with this thread)

I go to bed at like 1, I wake up at 10, and this thread is already 4 pages long! goodness!
    I love lolcats
    Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    I think I'm a little confused. What is the advantage of Palm backup if synergy would backup through the net by going to google? I had thought that the "cloud" would grab the info from your accounts? Again, what is the advantage of Palm backup?
    the duck

COOL! There's a duck in here now! First a goat now a duck!

Anyways - back to your inquiry about palm backup. I'd think* that the Palm backup would be for items that you added through your PC into it's on board storage. Not sure though
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder what that edit button on top is for.
    Valid point. Can't think of any purpose for the Edit button except to provide access to copy (and, what else?)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I've gotten electronics before with outdated promo extras before. I doubt they'll give a new/different promo trailer if they get delayed and pass the box office date for the film. They're probably aiming for before the movie opens, if that doesn't happen due to some delay, can't do much about it.
    Some call that spam. Hope the Pre doesn't have much of it.
    No, he didn't say no copy and paste in the browser, he said no selecting text in the body of a web page. To me, that implies that you can copy and paste links probably using the edit menu, but not the actual text. And I'm 99.99% sure that any text field, even if it's in the browser, allows for copy and paste as well, so they still need the menu there for that.
    the duck
    Well, say you have your Google account and your Facebook account set up through Synergy, and for some reason need to do a full erase. Would you rather re-enter all your information to get every account and all your settings correct, or log in once to your Palm profile and have it redownload all of your settings, and then use those settings to redownload the contacts from Google and Facebook?
    the duck
    If I was a betting man that could be related to App Store stuff as well. Allowing you to recover programs you had purchased after a wipe perhaps?
    the duck
    In addition to what the others have mentioned, the blog post also talks about backup restoring calendar and contacts that are on your phone only (ie they aren't available anywhere else).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    COOL! There's a duck in here now! First a goat now a duck!
    I'm a Duck! An Oregon Duck
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    In version 3.0 coming out in June you can select/copy/paste text from the browser.

Its very strange Palm did not add this as it probably the place you would use copy/paste the most. Disappointing.
    actually, why isn't palm linking this article on there twitter or on there blog? Makes me think this isn't exactly legit.... Palm is good about directing valuable (legitimate) articles to us.
    I love lolcats
    The guy has had a blog for months now, posting real information from Sprint for people such as the hint about overage minutes or the billing code for adding Blackberry Enterprise Server support to a plan.

If this is a hoax the guy has been planning out for months (which I highly doubt), then someone has way too much time on their hands to do that, and especially to duplicate a page from the User Manual. (Not that I know for sure that's what the User Manual looks like, but if you look at the fonts and such, it definitely has the stylings of previous Palm User Manuals).
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast