Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Nothing on Visual Voice Mail. =/
    I'm fairly certain that in one of the videos the Palm rep said the device will not have visual voicemail at launch.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disc View Post
    I'm fairly certain that in one of the videos the Palm rep said the device will not have visual voicemail at launch.
    I think you are right.

We'll probably have to buy the app from motion apps.

mVisualVoiceMail
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    When you send an MMS from your phone to an e-mail address though, does it send the pic, or a link to the pic?
    It sends the pic, but it sends it through Sprint Picture Mail service...so I see what you mean about 'true MMS', But must of the time, I'm sending a picture from my cell phone to someone elses cell phone rather than their email.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Question:

Can you select text in the browser on an IPhone? It's also webkit based.

it could be an inherent problem with the browser. (hense see question above)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaMart View Post
    Question:

Can you select text in the browser on an IPhone? It's also webkit based.

it could be an inherent problem with the browser. (hense see question above)
    In version 3.0 coming out in June you can select/copy/paste text from the browser.

Its very strange Palm did not add this as it probably the place you would use copy/paste the most. Disappointing.
    Not going to comment too much til its official. Of course its desired.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Its very strange Palm did not add this as it probably the place you would use copy/paste the most. Disappointing.
    Agreed, Web and email are the two most likely sources for a copy and paste. Even the PalmOS browser lets you copy and paste from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    In version 3.0 coming out in June you can select/copy/paste text from the browser.

Yea i know all thats comming out with 3.0, but i was wondering if users have always been able to select from the browser. Im wondering if it was the selecting that made c/c/p difficult on the iphone or if it had more to do with inheritance.

anybody got an ipod touch can check for me?
    Yea i know all thats comming out with 3.0, but i was wondering if users have always been able to select from the browser. Im wondering if it was the selecting that made c/c/p difficult on the iphone or if it had more to do with inheritance.

Not sure what you are asking, there is no way to select any text in the current iPhone/Touch OS.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts

There is no text selection functionality anywhere in iPhone OS 2.0 - you can hold and drag over text you've entered to move the cursor back or forth, but there is no way to select text - because there is no use in doing so, no functionality exists in iPhone OS 2.0 that would make use of selected text.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    Dear Mozilla and/or Opera,

Please make a moble browser for webos before the release date. Please include cut/paste.

Thank you for your time.

There, problem solved.
    And how are they going to do that without a Java or Native SDK? Do not expect to see any third party browsers or email clients on WebOS anytime soon.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Updated and thanks -- but don't all SE plans include data anyway?
    There are three individual plans for the Pre. They all have unlimited data. Some have limited talk time. The difference is the price.

1. Simply Everything - unlimited talk time $99.99
    2. Everything Data 900 minutes $89.99
    3. Everything Data 450 minutes $69.99

I'm planning on the cheap one.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    And how are they going to do that without a Java or Native SDK? Do not expect to see any third party browsers or email clients on WebOS anytime soon.
    I thought they made some sort exception for the Palm Classic app, and was hoping they'd make the same sort of exceptions for the big boys in the browser industry. Obviously, I was just hoping for something here because no cut/paste in browser is absolutely DEVASTATING.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    are we complaining because of the speculation that you won't be able to copy and paste a link in the browser? or are we complaining because of the speculation you might not be able to copy some text from a website and paste it into an e-mail or SMS? Or do we even know what we are complaining about?
    It's even devolving into wanting a different browser The Pre's browser is one of the main reasons i'd buy a Pre.
    It's funny... When I read the part about no selecting text in the browser, I was taken back a bit myself. Then, I realized: I've never (and I mean, never) copied anything from the browser on any mobile device I've ever owned or used. I didn't even know that Opera on my Touch Pro has that capability until I looked into it just now.

Mind you: I'm not saying that it's not important, or that some folks don't rely on it. I myself was looking forward to the capability. It's just funny how the mind works: I was very upset, initially, about the lack of a feature that I've simply never actually used.

Note: I also think that Palm can/will add this feature, particularly if enough people want it. However, let's not make too big a fuss about it now, lest Palm decide that they need to delay the device to avoid negative publicity.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Let me rephrase that statement just slightly: Do not expect to see any third-party browser engines on webOS anytime soon.

Reasoning: You could pretty easily wrap a view of WebKit around your own custom chrome, maybe adding bonus functionality like ad-blocking and (theoretically, not 100% sure you could even do this, but if anyone wants to try, it would be an interesting exercise in testing the boundaries of webOS) web page text selection and/or manipulation. Apple's already allowing these kinds of apps in the App Store, mainly as full-screen browsers or ad-blocking browsers - they use the exact same engine as MobileSafari, but have an extra layer of hackish add-ons. I see no reason why Palm would prevent you from doing the same - they've already said they plan on being a lot more open than Apple's rules, and if Apple's cool with this, then Palm should too.

I also see them not having a problem with third-party e-mail clients (which Apple does have a problem with) - unlike Apple which has a direct hand in the pocket of the e-mail mess with MobileMe and the deals it has cut with Yahoo and Google, Palm seems to be just passively receiving GMail IMAP IDLE, EAS, and fetch IMAP or POP3 - I'm sure they'd rather you use the client they built, but I doubt they'd block that sort of thing from the App Catalog, or if they did, I almost guarantee they would at least let you get those signed so you could sideload them.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    I thought they made some sort exception for the Palm Classic app, and was hoping they'd make the same sort of exceptions for the big boys in the browser industry. Obviously, I was just hoping for something here because no cut/paste in browser is absolutely DEVASTATING.
    Why would they do that and why would anyone be interested in developing a third party browser for WebOS? One of the major differences between the new generation smartphones (IPhone, Android & WebOS) and the older ones (WM, PalmOS & BB) is the quality of the built in browser. The UI tookit is based on the built in HTML rendering engine.

If the WebOS browser doesn't meet your needs, you should pick a different smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    It's funny... When I read the part about no selecting text in the browser, I was taken back a bit myself. Then, I realized: I've never (and I mean, never) copied anything from the browser on any mobile device I've ever owned or used. I didn't even know that Opera on my Touch Pro has that capability until I looked into it just now.

Mind you: I'm not saying that it's not important, or that some folks don't rely on it. I myself was looking forward to the capability. It's just funny how the mind works: I was very upset, initially, about the lack of a feature that I've simply never actually used.

Note: I also think that Palm can/will add this feature, particularly if enough people want it. However, let's not make too big a fuss about it now, lest Palm decide that they need to delay the device to avoid negative publicity.

This is the part where we excuse the Pre's limitations as being unimportant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    There is no text selection functionality anywhere in iPhone OS 2.0 - you can hold and drag over text you've entered to move the cursor back or forth, but there is no way to select text - because there is no use in doing so, no functionality exists in iPhone OS 2.0 that would make use of selected text.
    wow i had no idea the os was that limited... i just lost a little more respect or the iphone... and i dont want to see palm making any of the same mistakes
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast