1.    #1  
    Not sure if anyone's found this out yet, but I saw this in a Pre video, specifically . The last icon on the launcher isn't something I've seen before so I took a good look at it and eventually realized it's a link to CNN.com. So I guess you can save URL's as shortcuts on the Pre! Nothing groundbreaking but a pretty cool feature.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ultima301 View Post
    Not sure if anyone's found this out yet, but I saw this in a Pre video, specifically . The last icon on the launcher isn't something I've seen before so I took a good look at it and eventually realized it's a link to CNN.com. So I guess you can save URL's as shortcuts on the Pre! Nothing groundbreaking but a pretty cool feature.
    Absolutely! But even better is that you can save the URLs as thumbnails. Much better, I think.
    I remember seeing a video somewhere where the rep showed how you can create a shorcut. I think it was one of the WMC videos out there.
    It was confirmed a few times that it will be able to be done
    Is Palm going to claim this as their idea? It's not that original if you've used a Nokia device or iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Is Palm going to claim this as their idea? It's not that original if you've used a Nokia device or iPhone.
    That's the sort of thing that Apple does, not Palm...
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    it's just a shortcut, ofcourse they aren't going to claim anything. only apple turns standard stuff like this into features. apple even calls copy and paste a feature.
    I think apple calls copy & paste 2 or 3 features actually. Copy is one. Paste is one. Cut is one. If you haven't caught on by now, Apple likes to overwhelm with numbers. Over a hundred new features! A 1000 new API's (don't know what an API is thinks the iphone user but damn, sounds good to me). Over a billion apps downloaded!

Meanwhile over at Palm, their crack 18th century marketing team is getting ready to unleash something...maybe..
    Last edited by cardfan; 04/27/2009 at 06:31 AM.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Excellent, I figured they would do this anyway, but good to have confirmation - I think the whole idea of Web Clips will work better on the Pre than on the iPhone, because A) the phone will be able to more quickly launch them than the iPhone launched them (ugh, MobileSafari takes FOREVER to launch), and then B) they can remain open (and fully live) in the background while the user goes to do something else. The speed issue was the main reason Web Clips were frowned on by the iPhone populous, so maybe Palm can change that - after all, it's not like a Web Clip "app" is going to be terribly different code-wise from an actual app, so I'm assuming they've got some amazing fast JScript engine that'll help out any execution, local or downloaded from a server.
    Sharklinks Hopefully Tyler will create awesome apps for the Pre like he did for Palm OS.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Or windows mobile for the last couple of years, lol.
    Don't we already save urls as shortcuts in the Palm OS? They can even be one touch as well and you don't even need to go into blazer to do it. Is it a big deal that it's now graphical with icons or am I missing something?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Just for the record, we did 2 posts that mention this feature
    That was definitely my point in my previous post - why all the hype about a common feature? Even the iPhone community didn't make a big deal about this one.