Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Another question.
    My cell number is from New York City. I currently live in Orlando, FL. I never changed my number when I moved, didn't want to go through the hassle of updating everyone & everything.

When I order the Pre, I will most likely be given a Florida number (since it will be shipped to my house). Will Sprint give me issues on porting a NY number to a phone being used in a FL region?
    i still have a TN number and have moved several times and changed plans and phones, its never been any problem for me. I think a number is a number nowadays
    Quote Originally Posted by JaMart View Post
    i still have a TN number and have moved several times and changed plans and phones, its never been any problem for me. I think a number is a number nowadays
    Sweet. Thanks.
    Before the announcement of the Pre, I was going to go with the Blackberry Bold on AT&T. In order for me to have ported my number, I had to have a NYC address. I don't know, it was weird. I was going to just have them ship the Bold to my cousin in NY & have him send it over to me.

Ah well, I'm glad to hear that there shouldn't be any issues porting my number to Sprint.
    Sprint has been great as far as allowing multiple area codes in an account or changing to a new area code even if you don't live there. AT&T OTOH has been a royal pain when switching area codes. They usually want to charge you (although they can waive one time) and they make you give up any rollover minutes. They also make you change and restart a whole new account when doing this.

On another topic, number ports are usually within minutes for wireless to wireless number ports. When going from landline to wireless it used to take the better part of a month but now as of recent it is taking just a few days to complete it.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
  4.    #24  
    a couple of other things about porting.

when sprint starts taking orders, I probably can port until they actually have a device in store right?

i cant do this online the first second they start taking orders?

i would need to have the pre in hand to limit the time between port.

also, should i let t-mo know to make it go smoother?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    a couple of other things about porting.

when sprint starts taking orders, I probably can port until they actually have a device in store right?

i cant do this online the first second they start taking orders?

i would need to have the pre in hand to limit the time between port.

also, should i let t-mo know to make it go smoother?
    i'm not sure if this is what your asking but number ports on Sprint can happen at anytime after the account even if you have purchased and activated already. For example: you can go buy a Sprint phone today and they will assign you a number. 2 weeks later you decide to port your number from Tmobile so you call Sprint and they do it. Your Tmobile number will have replaced the Sprint number and that's it.

And yes, you can't port until you actually have a Sprint account and line active. You won't need to tell Tmobile as the number port will automatically cancel the Tmobile line. Just make sure you are out of contract with Tmo to avoid any early termination fees. Also make sure you have all pertinent Tmobile account information such as account number, PIN, password, etc.. as this will make sure the porting process is quick and smooth.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    i just ported a number from Verizon to sprint yesterday afternoon. got a notification saying something about programming...then got another notification about the programming failed. waited the 24 hours the lady told me...then called Sprint. They couldnt figure out what was wrong.

then they directed me to Palm Customer Service. Havent called them yet. i'll update when i do figure it all out.
    your not supposed to power on the pre until the port is complete!
    yeah, i was told to just call on my new pre and do it that way...but that only caused problems. just take it into the store and have them do it. that is what i originally did, but they were busy and the dude just said i could do it over the phone.

they had to go into a secret menu and change a few things to actually program the phone.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Porting land lines to cell can take days to weeks

Porting cell lines to cell takes minutes to hours.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Every time I have inquired on porting a number over, I've been told that it takes weeks. Recently I have been involved in porting a few business phone numbers over to IP phone sets, and the process does take a few a weeks. I don't think it is instantaneous with any carrier. It can be done, just be prepared for a short waiting period.
    Please read this at the FCC site which establishes the regulations:

Keeping Your Telephone Number When You Change Your Service Provider

Wireless to wireless transfers occur in hours, not weeks.
    landline to wireless transfers occur in days, not weeks.

There are some exceptions for small telco companies, but weeks is not the case in simple transfers.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    what should i expect from tmo and sprint?

anyone else do this b4? how did it go?
    Read the FCC summary on what to do and expect when porting a number:

"We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    Read the FCC summary on what to do and expect when porting a number:

thanks, but you do realize i posted the question in apruil, and ported in june. port went smoothly and quickly.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12