Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I live in San Diego and have Sprint Centro. A couple of days ago my
    Centro re-provisioned itself. I doubt that my Centro is capable of 4G
    speeds, but it has been seemingly MUCH SPEEDIER especially noticeable
    using Blazer.
    Then, yesterday, I saw this:
    4G Coming to Sprint’s Palm Pre? « TeenTechBlog

Maybe I am wrong, but between the above article, my phone re-provisioning and much speedier web speeds on the Centro I am wondering if Sprint is
    secretly rolling out 4G?

Call me crazy but I think I am on to something here. Pre is got to be around the corner!
    From what I know 4G will operate on different frequencies than 3G, so a phone can't magically update itself to work on 4G, it needs a different radio entirely. The Pre won't work on it either, at least not the first generation Pre. That's why they had to release a second iPhone to run on 3G, the first one couldn't just start doing 3G with a firmware update.
    EVDO and WiMax use different radios and frequencies - you can't magically update an EVDO phone with WiMax just courtesy of a software update.

Could the PrPrPr&#$275$; $have$ $WiMax$? $Sure$, $it$ $could$.

The better question is how likely it is that the PrPrPr&#$275$; $could$ $have$ $WiMax$? $The$ $answer$ $is$ "$not$ $very$ $likely$." $It$ $could$ $happen$, $but$ $the$ $odds$ $are$ $greatly$ $against$ $it$.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Plus seeing as Sprint only has Wimax in only one city (NOT San Diego) for now makes that highly unlikely too.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  5.    #5  
    OK, what about the possibility that they are improving 3G data speeds in anticipation of the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDave View Post
    OK, what about the possibility that they are improving 3G data speeds in anticipation of the Pre?
    It's a possibility. AT&T did the same for the iPhone launch.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDave View Post
    Maybe another sign that we are getting closer? Or maybe the OP just got an update to fix some problem unique to the Centro?
    My centro tried to update itself a couple times the other day, but failed. weak.
    Sprint has WiMax in quite a few cities, not just one. Still extremely unlikely the Pre has radios for CDMA, WiFi and Wimax.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Plus seeing as Sprint only has Wimax in only one city (NOT San Diego) for now makes that highly unlikely too.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    The FCC certification, whenever it shows up, will answer this question, of course. Until then, it's still fun if completely idle speculation.
    There is also always EV-DO Rev B, which doesn't require different hardware. No one knows when Sprint is suppose to be rolling that out, if they're rolling it out at all.
    My Sprint Treo 755p was provisioned twice today. I went to make a call and the message popped up about it needing to be provisioned, an hour later same thing. Both times it finished successfully. Here's 2 screenshots.

I think Sprint might be doing what AT&T did with the launch of the 1st iPhone and the iPhone 3G, updating the network because of expected demand on the network.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 04/26/2009 at 02:58 PM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    4G is actually live in 2 cities, unfortunately I'm not in one of them. From what I've seen on the hardware it does not have a chipset capable of 4G. If I recall correctly it has only a Qualcomm chipset in it. 4G, specifically WiMAX, is a completely different chip maker, as I do not believe that Qualcomm is in the WiMAX arena, I believe they are making the LTE chip. What will be very interesting is when the Pre is available outside of Sprint in the US.
    can anything be taken from the sprint commercials about 4g, and having pres is said commercials?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Sprint sent out a press release at the end of March detailing their plans for rolling out 4G in 10 additional cities in 2009.

Sprint 4G offers turbo-charged mobile broadband – peak downlink speeds of up to 12 Mbps in Baltimore today and average downlink speeds of 2-4 Mbps – three to five times faster than today’s 3G service from any carrier.

Sprint plans to deploy Sprint 4G service in many markets in 2009, including:
    Atlanta
    Charlotte
    Chicago
    Dallas
    Fort Worth
    Honolulu
    Las Vegas
    Philadelphia
    Portland
    Seattle

Sprint also expects to launch service in multiple markets in 2010 including Boston, Houston, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.
    Sprint | News Release: Sprint Extends 4G Leadership by Announcing Next U.S. Markets to Experience Sprint 4G
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    EVDO and WiMax use different radios and frequencies - you can't magically update an EVDO phone with WiMax just courtesy of a software update.

Could the PrPrPr&#$275$; $have$ $WiMax$? $Sure$, $it$ $could$.

The better question is how likely it is that the PrPrPr&#$275$; $could$ $have$ $WiMax$? $The$ $answer$ $is$ &$quot$;$not$ $very$ $likely$.&$quot$; $It$ $could$ $happen$, $but$ $the$ $odds$ $are$ $greatly$ $against$ $it$.
    I am not saying a Treo or Centro or any other current cdma phone can do this, but Intel has been working for a while on software definable radio chips where one chip can do multiple protocols through software so you could have one chip in a phone that could do wifi, wimax, cdma, BT, DVB, satellite, whatever

Perhaps the Pre will sport one of these kind of chips or are the hardware components already enumerated somewhere and this is not the case?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I am not saying the pre has this, but check out this chip

EETimes.com - Sandbridge delivers baseband processor for 4G smartphones

The SB3500 facilitates 4G implementation in handsets entirely in software, resulting in cost and real estate reductions in the 15 to 20% range. The baseband processor operates any radio protocol for a multi-mode, multi-function mobile platform including LTE, HSPA, 3G, WiMAX, Wi-Fi, DVB-H, GPS and all multimedia formats.
    Quote Originally Posted by GolpherZX View Post
    4G is actually live in 2 cities, unfortunately I'm not in one of them. From what I've seen on the hardware it does not have a chipset capable of 4G. If I recall correctly it has only a Qualcomm chipset in it. 4G, specifically WiMAX, is a completely different chip maker, as I do not believe that Qualcomm is in the WiMAX arena, I believe they are making the LTE chip. What will be very interesting is when the Pre is available outside of Sprint in the US.
    I believe you're right, and think it unlikely the Pre will have 4G, but also think it's likely that if the Pre did have that capability Palm and Sprint might play that very close to the vest until release.

The fact that the Pre is featured in commercials that also reference 4G makes this (very) slightly more likely, but I wouldn't read too much into that.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I think it's highly unlikely they would throw in a wimax radio into this make or break phone when wimax is currently only in 3 cities and only up to 12 or so by year's end. Also, on the data side, Wimax is a more expensive option at $80/mo compared to $60 for 3G. I can't imagine they would include 4G in the SE price plans. And then even if you wanted to pay more for the 4G service it would only hit such a limited audience. Just doesn't seem to make sense.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by kasi1222 View Post
    Sprint sent out a press release at the end of March detailing their plans for rolling out 4G in 10 additional cities in 2009.
    You do realiize that in 2006 they issued press releases saying they would have 4G in dozens of cities by mid 2007?

And that was back when Sprint had way more cash and way more customers.

Do a news.google.com of +sprint +4G in year 2006. You will laugh at Sprints now endless announcments to deploy 4G fully in 2007, then in 2008

network modernization and capacity is not made from Press releases, if it was Sprint woudl be on 6G nationwide last year!

Cnet 2006:
    Sprint executives said during a press briefing here that the company plans to spend about $1 billion on the network in 2007. It will spend another $1.5 billion to $2 billion in 2008. The new fourth-generation, or 4G, network is expected to go live in the fourth quarter of 2007. About 100 million people will have access to the network by the end of 2008, the company said.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast