1.    #1  
    PHS300 Personal WiFi Hotspot | Cradlepoint Technology

Sprint - All Accessories

I was looking at this more since i got a data card that doesn't get used as much as it used to. These seem to be the same products but I'm looking at Cradlepoint since the drivers and firmware seem more likely to be updated there. Anyone use these? I'm thinking the Pre would be accommodated later to be compatible as well.

Might be good in spots (like in the car) to provide wifi for an ipod touch for the kiddo.
    Umm... it looks like the Sprint version is just a rebranded PHS300 already. I'm sure there's a difference or two, but I doubt any of them could be good differences.

Anybody happen to know what those differences are?

P.S. - I'd go with the Cradlepoint CTR500 and an external battery pack. Slightly more expensive if you shop around, but this setup would have quite a few more advantages.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the tip. Will look.

As for the Sprint one, yep, its a rebrand but despite any differences (that can't be good ones besides saving a few bucks ), I think i'd rather deal with Cradlepoint for support.
    So would I. I have heard a lot of good things about their routers.
    Their routers are sweet. I have one on my short list for a future purchase to create wifi at a race to communicate between the start and finish line. and provide people with wifi.

I'm sure you'd be able to deal with cradlepoint for support regardless of which one you'd get.

And CTR500 is definitely the one to get. You can add an external antenna to it to increase distance which is key. Have never been a big fan of internal antennas.
    Last edited by crogs571; 04/27/2009 at 08:43 AM.
    <<Thread Resurrection>>

I'm just now trying the 300.
    Although I'm very impressed, I don't like the fact that it doesn't have signal bars.

I'm most likely going to return it and get the 500.

Thanks guys.
    Just call me Berd.
    Why would you need the Pre to be compatible? All either device does is connect a wi-fi device to the Sprint EvDO network. The Pre already connects to the EvDo network. You're still limited to EvDO speeds, even if your phone is connecting through wi-fi.

Now if you had a phone with wi-fi and VOIP that didn't need to be activated on Sprint to work, you could save the costs of another phone line, I guess, but that's certainly not the case with the Pre.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I'm looking at the Cradlepoint MBR1000 to use my Pre's data connection via USB. I believe this is the same function the PHS300 would use, would you say it is compatible using Mytether?
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I can understand if it were possible to use this via the Pre's connection, but I am not sure why you would get this instead of just trading in your USB Wireless card for Novatel Wireless MiFi 2200 (Sprint) Modem reviews - CNET Reviews

I love the mifi and have used it in a bunch of situations. Very nice device.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    The Sprint-branded version of the PHS-300 only allows for up to four simultaneous users, whereas the Cradlepoint model allows for up to sixteen users. The Sprint model is also cheaper.

I have the Cradlepoint model, which I use with my Sierra 597 USB modem. It comes in handy for use, as you suggested, with my iPod touch when I'm away from my home wi-fi network.

I've read nothing but rave reviews of the Mifi gizmo.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I have a PHS300 that I use with a CDU 680 modem on a local flat rate provider (cheap and no contract).

It works great with my Pre. I keep it on at work (no corporate WiFi at work), and with my home wireless n network at home and my CradlePoint at work, I just leave the Pre's wifi turned on. Since I'm usually at one of those two places it makes for great battery saving.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Why would you need the Pre to be compatible? All either device does is connect a wi-fi device to the Sprint EvDO network. The Pre already connects to the EvDo network. You're still limited to EvDO speeds, even if your phone is connecting through wi-fi.
    Battery life! It works!
    .... and if the EV-DO connection is weak in your area, you can actually find just one little spot that gets good connection, and light up a 30-40 ft radius, even thru walls.

Many advantages to Cradlepoint routers over MiFi, too. One is that you're not locked into anything. If you want to upgrade to 4G, you just change the radio, not buy a whole new MiFi. If you want to change carriers, you just change the radio, not buy a whole new MiFi. If your friend has a better connection, you can just swap out radios. Have a PCMCIA card with a radio? It works in the CTR500, too. However, USB is definitely the way to go. There is no benefit to PCMCIA other than it might be more durable than a USB stick that doesn't bend!! Good thing about USB is that you can use extension cables. I don't even have a PC Card or USB stick to get my 3g... I've got a spare phone -- even more versatility! I definitely NEEDED the extension cable in order to get a signal out in the middle of nowhere. I wouldn't have been able to make it without going to the store and buying a new power cord, which I didn't really need. There's even other goodies too, like being able to feed the signal into an ethernet cord, for your desktop computer. I'm pretty sure the MiFi doesn't have an ethernet port.

Cradlepoint = WIN
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerusty View Post
    I'm looking at the Cradlepoint MBR1000 to use my Pre's data connection via USB. I believe this is the same function the PHS300 would use, would you say it is compatible using Mytether?
    Did you ever get this to work?