Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    anyone have any news about the Pre being released in the UK? i think palms current ties with vodafone UK (they sell the Treo pro also used to sell older models) although vodafone seems to be concerned about the launch of the android magic at present.

From the looks of it T-mobile either gets HTC smartphones or is concerned with the G1 so I doubt they will go for the pre.. unless they see it as a good venture, but they are vodaphones current rivals in my oppinion.
    O2 have the iphone nuff said
    Orange are a bit meh although have the latest lg arena
    Virgin are worse lol

As for dates, its a shame that Palm havent gone for a world-wide release (might still do so) not alot of hype to prove otherwise here. But we are used to having european phone manufacturers so we get all the nokia and sonyerricssons first so i guess a wait of nearly 2 months is in order for the time being which will suck.
    I'm still hoping for a full wouldwide release (when a 3g/non-gsm is released)

anyone else on these forums yet that is non-US and is waiting for a Pre?
    I'm waiting patiently for it. I'd like to know which carrier is going to carry it as I'm on O2 in the UK with my iPhone and will need to figure out how to switch if it's going to another carrier!

My only concern is that Palm tends to focus mainly on the US and Europe doesn't get as much thought. Here's hoping for a change!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Last rumour I read said the Telefonica looked like being the preferred carrier in Europe, who or course own o2. They currently supply the Treo Pro and 500 so they have dealt with Palm in the past. Personally I hope it's Vodafone as that's who I'm currently with.
  4.    #4  
    well if o2 get it then off to o2 i go... but it will most likely be an iphone in my pocket not a palm
    It's a shame that there's not been any announcements in Europe (well at least the UK) as regarding carrier or release date.

Perhaps Palm wants to focus on its US release and deal with a GSM Palm Pre once they've dealt with demand on the hometurf.

One of the benefits of the iPhone, that you don't have to worry about hardware differences between countries and the networks they use. It makes it easier to distribute without having to worry about producing enough of each unit.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I figured it wouldn't be Vodafone because they have the Storm and they're getting the G2; I'd have thought they're the front-runner for the Storm 2 as well. They seem to have plenty of smartphones to worry about already.

I do hope the Pre goes to Vodafone, though. I'm already with Voda and I really like my number (it's easy to remember), so that would be the best outcome for me, although I would definitely leave Voda for the Pre.
    As a long time palm user, desperately waiting for the pre. Currently have the 680 on Orange.

Gutted we have to wait longer.
    For Palm's sake I really hope they don't sign with O2.
    O2 have the iPhone, so there would be a serious conflict of interest, not to mention the underhanded incentives Apple would probably offer O2 to push their device more than the Pre.

I vote for Vodafone (the Pre would retain the customers who are looking for the alternative business phone to a Blackberry, as well as gaining customers looking for a more user-friendly touch phone to the iPhone)

Controversially though: Virgin might also be a good partner: in tandem with their heavy investment in ultra-high bandwidth fixed fibre-optic, the Pre could represent their cutting-edge investment in the mobile market.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Virgin are only a virtual carrier, they don't have their own network.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    As with you guys, us in Aus are also awaiting the GSM Pre. Blogshpere is tipping August for us but none of the stores will confirm it. Maybe this is an indication of when you guys will get one.

If there are issues with distribution I'm sure Palm would want to get the States sorted before rolling out other continents, as was already said, it sucks that the states has so much CDMA action when so much of the rest of the world is GSM. This may be causing delays and complications for international manufacture and distribution.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    The Pre is landing in the US on the anniversary of D-day.
    Something must be wrong.
    Have to check if I see a fleet of Palm boats full of Pre boxes on Normandy shore then... do anything to make time pass faster, read your comments, but this is gonna be hell long.
    Looks like O2 are going to have it according to the Guardian.

O2 follows iPhone success with deal for next must-have gadget | Business | guardian.co.uk
    I really wanted 3 to get it in the UK they have the best 3g network and are generally a really good network to be with, i got a sim only deal on orange until the pre came out and i've waited a really long time with a really lame phone!
    Guardian rumours were lately denied by O2 spokeperson, who has shooted down exclusivity rumours last week... (VNUnet.com)
    No deal signed sealed and delivered 'till then...
    Guess all Western Europe operators keep an eye on next saturday; then things will probably move on...
    It is worth noting that O2 are going to lose their UK iPhone exclusivity agreement, and taking into account the massive success of the iPhone in attracting 02 new subscribers, they'll want a new killer handset to push.

Vodafone have the HTC Magic at the moment, and them and T-Mobile seem pretty committed to the Android platform. As a result, I can easily see O2 becoming the webOS platform.
    Maybe they should just launch it unlocked unless Palm get more cash for being supported by a carrier. I cant wait to get my hands on a Pre. I am currently with Vodafone, but will switch providers if necessary, as long as it is not orange. Their coverage is not very good in my area at all. Fingers crossed. August would be good
    Quote Originally Posted by northy014 View Post
    It is worth noting that O2 are going to lose their UK iPhone exclusivity agreement, and taking into account the massive success of the iPhone in attracting 02 new subscribers, they'll want a new killer handset to push.

Vodafone have the HTC Magic at the moment, and them and T-Mobile seem pretty committed to the Android platform. As a result, I can easily see O2 becoming the webOS platform.
    If O2 are losing the iphone who will be selling it going forwards?
    O2 is all over twitter talking about it. They just posted a new page here shop.o2.co.uk/update/iphone.html

So they are not losing iPhone and they are getting the Pre! I think now they will leave every other network far far behind...
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Evgeny View Post
    So they are not losing iPhone
    That's not necessarily true - they're not losing the iPhone yet, but the exclusivity deal could well run out over the summer.

This new iPhone release will hopefully be the last obstacle to pass before the Pre is confirmed; I can imagine that Apple might get difficult to deal with, if O2 were to announce that they've got the iPhone's most promising competitor launching later this year, before the 3GS get the chance to pick up some customers.
    Good point. This could be why if o2 are the providers.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast