Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Personally I'm not too fussed which network we get. Ideally I'd like to stay away from Orange as they cripple their phones, or they used to with the s60 platform. T-Mobile is my hope
    I just wish they'd get a move on. I've used a Treo for years - am on my third model, a 680, and it's on its last legs. Wi Fi is top of my list in any new handset. I've resisted the temptation to get an iPhone because I feel some sort of strange loyalty to Palm, despite the fact that the UK networks have been pretty abysmal in supporting the platform (well, that's been my experience with Orange and Vodafone). But I can't wait much longer. If they don't make an announcement soon about the UK launch of the Palm Pre, they'll lose my business.
    as soon as it's released in EU I would like to purchase one. Looks like a GSM version will not be released in the states until after Europe- and I definitely need a GSM (unlocked) version because I would like to stay with T-Mobile under my family plan and I travel to JA and Canada a lot.

Looks like I will be on eBay to try and import one...or are there any good/competitve online store options for buying imported unlocked cell phones with US delivery?
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I've worked with O2 on sponsorship deals for festivals and I will never move to O2 now. They were the most repugnant people I've ever worked with.

If Palm choose O2 then I will buy a HTC hero. It will be a tough move but my hatred for O2 is so deep I just cannot do it.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Palm are apparently going to be making an announcement about the UK release next week!

Palm Pre UK launch announcement to be made next week? | T3 magazine

About bloody time.

Anybody got a prediction for the carrier, date and price? I'm going to bet on O2 in October-ish, with an on-contract price between 100 and 120 (and free on the bigger contracts).
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I really really hope it's Vodafone.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC 3200 (bad move) > Treo Pro (not as bad but still WinMo) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    The Guardian seems pretty convinced that O2 have it.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    visited my local O2 store yesterday was in town bored so thought I would check out the 3GS. talking to a member of staff in there mentioned I was interested in the pre and the rumour O2 were getting the handset, the guy said no rumour "O2 are getting it for sure".
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Personally don't care who gets it in the UK. The key for me is a GSM model (I assume O2 are GSM). Once available there I should be able to buy a GSM model for Australia on Ebay and other locations (off contract ofcourse).

Do we know when O2 will be getting it?

p.s. The number of Pre's sold in the first week seems to be swelling every time I read a story. The above Guardian article states 1million were sold in the first week. Most people early on said between 50,000-150,000. Then a finance guy in the US did some calculations and stated Palm had sold 300,000. Now the Guardian states 1 Million !!!?

The same Guardian article states "300,000 sold in the US alone" so what other country did Palm sell the Pre? I thought it was US (Sprint) only??
    Finally, some news from O2 about the Pre. So a Xmas release. Not that far away...

Palm comes to O2
    Yup, looks like it's settled for other european countries too
    http :// www .engadget.com/2009/07/07/palm-pre-official-on-o2-and-movistar-in-europe/
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Gah, the one bit of the rumour they confirm is the bit that was already more or less a given! What about the date/price?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    What about the date/price?
    O2 germany says it will come in october. no price up to now
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Yup there was an update line (below) to the engadget wtory

"Update: Seems as if O2 Germany has word that it'll be launching the GSM Pre in October." https://newsflash.o2online.de/promo/...es/palmpre.gif

Great NOW ! when can I get an unlocked GSM version from ebay do you think??

I want to be the first person (outside of the media/supplier chain) that gets one :-)
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ash987z View Post
    O2 germany says it will come in october. no price up to now
    That's since been removed, though - it's possibly (or probably) just to stop leaks of the date before they're ready, but it could be an old version of the graphic. The supply for Europe is going to be dependent on how fast the device sells in the US; unless Palm gets its manufacturing numbers up quick, they mightn't have enough for an October launch this side of the Atlantic.

And given that the "first half of 09" turned out to be right down to the wire for that particular timeframe, I'd not be the least bit surprised to see them wait 'til December to make sure they have the stock.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    That's since been removed, though - it's possibly (or probably) just to stop leaks of the date before they're ready, but it could be an old version of the graphic. The supply for Europe is going to be dependent on how fast the device sells in the US; unless Palm gets its manufacturing numbers up quick, they mightn't have enough for an October launch this side of the Atlantic.

And given that the "first half of 09" turned out to be right down to the wire for that particular timeframe, I'd not be the least bit surprised to see them wait 'til December to make sure they have the stock.
    Sadly, I suspect you have hit the nail on the head
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    O2's Palm Pre page is up - although it only has screenshots from the US device. Which seems odd, since Palm's UK page has UK-specific screenshots...
    MEH!!!! cant get a signal on O2 were i am!! this is a major disappointment for me! been waiting for my pre for to long!!! :/
    Did anyone else see the article on the Gadget Show last night where they were comparing the iPhone, Palm Pre and Nokia N97?

Apparently iPhone still came out tops. Pre 2nd and N97 third.
  20. gfc
    Yes I saw that. As per normal for the gadget show it wasn't terribly scientific. Seems the lack of video recording did for it.

As an aside, I went to the U.K. O2 website today and the Palm Pre is missing completely. It used to be prominent on the home page but can't be found even when doing a search!!!! Maybe it means it's comming soon or maybe never; who knows!?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast