Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Depends on which generation you're talking about. I was born in 1966, and I'm obsessed with the damn thing.
    That's the generation I was thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by west3man
    I'm having another one of my moments when I wonder if Palm is doing this deliberately because they know that, despite how frustrated hardcore fans get, we'll still buy (or not buy) despite the trickle of info.
    Maybe so, but there are fewer and fewer hardcore Palm fans left to support a new market like the Pre's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    Even palm_inc's twitter is a little slow lately. They should know that the hype is dying a little.
    Their Twitter is garbage. They like to retweet other people's messages.
    They should use it strictly for updates on official Palm products. Not to retweet someone saying the Pre is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    That's the generation I was thinking of.

Maybe so, but there are fewer and fewer hardcore Palm fans left to support a new market like the Pre's.
    My point was that this isn't about us (Palm loyals). It's about those whose attention spans are more limited - those who don't want (whether they know it or not) to hear to much about a phone too long before it's released.

Just like movie trailers. They release teasers, before they release big, full, detailed trailers. Hell, sometimes we don't even know what the movie is ABOUT, based on the teaser. I think that's because they don't want things to become old news too far before the release date/date range.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    They should use it strictly for updates on official Palm products. Not to retweet someone saying the Pre is awesome.
    Very True. They should be doing better.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    My point was that this isn't about us (Palm loyals). It's about those whose attention spans are more limited - those who don't want (whether they know it or not) to hear to much about a phone too long before it's released.

Just like movie trailers. They release teasers, before they release big, full, detailed trailers. Hell, sometimes we don't even know what the movie is ABOUT, based on the teaser. I think that's because they don't want things to become old news too far before the release date/date range.
    I think letting us know something in advance is always a better thing. They'll get people like us, who hear about it, fall in love, and wait on it. They'll also get the people who are about to buy another phone, hear about this, and decide to wait it out. If they believe their product is a game-changer, they do NO good by waiting to put out information.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmack549 View Post
    I think letting us know something in advance is always a better thing. They'll get people like us, who hear about it, fall in love, and wait on it. They'll also get the people who are about to buy another phone, hear about this, and decide to wait it out. If they believe their product is a game-changer, they do NO good by waiting to put out information.
    Depends on how big those groups are.

Loyalists will be there - almost no matter what. People who want to hear something and will wait, have already gotten their "something." Those who will be most "vulnerable" to a media blitz and cool-factor are probably the largest segment, imo.

But maybe my premise is just flawed from the get-go.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    +1 I agree. Their blog is the same way as well. They profile different people in their company who sometimes respond when you ask them something but other than that - mostly just ideas from Tweets or forums that are old news.
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    Nah, it is pretty much Lord of the Flies here except everyone gets their own conch.
    Nice!
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    I'm hoping that the deafening silence from Palm over the Pre right now is part of their plan, and they're timing the ramp-up of hype to begin closer to the release date. By the time it hits we'll be bathed in press releases, teaser ads, and maybe even some solid info. I'm really expecting an iPhone-like media blitz, or even a taste of one. but knowing Palm I have this nagging suspicion that they'll screw it up. One day it will simply be listed as "available" and we'll all get a single email from Palm that it's here.
    dont you find a lot of ex-palm loyalist are as bad as ex-smokers? they leave having to prove to everyone they made the right choice of leaving palm.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    i think really at present the palm marketing dept arent doing their job. its not 1995 (or whatever) theyre not the only ones with smartphones and they need to do some work before they get any recognition which at the mo their not doing.
    a decent bit of hardware will be lost in the world of WM6.5 and ifones if their not careful
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevsweb View Post
    i think really at present the palm marketing dept arent doing their job. its not 1995 (or whatever) theyre not the only ones with smartphones and they need to do some work before they get any recognition which at the mo their not doing.
    a decent bit of hardware will be lost in the world of WM6.5 and ifones if their not careful

right now they are leaving it up to Sprint for the most part.

i dont remember the last att iphone commercial.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The iPhone ads are both ATT and Apple because they start off with Apple and then at the end they say only on the "new" ATT. So I think it is 50/50.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Okay... This really is becoming quite daunting. I want some Pre news. I've been so busy with work and school lately that I've barely even had time to come check out my beloved forums. When I do though, everyone is aggitated at Palm for the lack of news and solid release date.

The Goat does not blame us for feeling this way. I'm starting to ponder if this launch is being handled correctly at all. They've made nearly all of the Palm/Pre loyalists angry at their closed ship. What's even worse, Joe Blow public isn't even aware of what the Pre is yet.

Get your freaking product out their Palm. Throw it at reviewers now! Let all major media have a Pre to review! Your hype is dying, and our patience is definately being tried. We don't necissarily want the phone to be released tomorrow, we just need a stinking release date. Heck... Who knows... Maybe even some pricing. We only have 2 months left... How much of a question is the date at this point!?

Palm AND Sprint's future is at stake here. I don't know which company is primarily responsible for how they are handling this whole thing. Palm needs this phone to survive, and Sprint needs this "Hero Phone" to stop bleeding 2 million customers a quarter.

Yet they can't manage to prevent the loyalists from becomming angry, or let the general public know that the Pre even exists!

That is the Goat's rant. I'm going back to writing my final papers and being stressed out.

Hopefully all my rants will be nulled soon.
    ^Another Great Post!
    (It didn't even feel like a rant )

I just now posted this in another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I'm not sure why Palm thinks the 'Hush' mentality is good.
    I've heard it mentioned from very reliable sources that Palm is being so tight lipped on this one. I really don't see the value in that. Is it done as a competition tactic?
    Just call me Berd.
    Thanks Berd!

You can even make a Goat blush.

We'll have our Pre eventually... Even if our forum members are the only one's who care enough to buy one.
    Pedro's reputation as a nice goat even makes his rants seem friendly LOL

Seriously though...not a single dedicated Pre commercial yet? All the marketing has been for Sprint alone but no "real" focus on the phone itself. I'm not sure what this marketing team is thinking 2 months before the end of "FHo2009"
  18.    #38  
    Every single day this gets worse and worse...
    Yeah Goat! You get em'!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    People are getting really worked up about this haha.

No point in advertising a month or more away from launch I think.

Its a phone, not a movie. Advertise like a week before or something. Get some review models out prior to that and make sure to get on NBC/ABC talking about the new product.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast