1.    #1  
    So I don't want to directly quote it, so for more information I'd suggest buying the Rough Cuts, but I finally read chapter 3 and the recently (like half an hour ago) released chapter 4 and saw some great things about text editing and navigation that I found interesting.

First of all, there's a "Smart Text Engine" for autocorrection like on the Treos. (Auto-caps after a punctuation mark, for example).

Secondly, there's a "trackball mode" by holding the alt/orange key while swiping in a direction to navigate through text, and selection is done by holding shift and swiping in a direction.

Finally, they also mention "smart deletion," aka hold shift and press delete and it'll delete by word.

All of these features automatically are present in any non-password text entry widget unless otherwise specified by the programmer.

In other words, even without a 5way or anything, it sounds like they've definitely thought through the text navigation, which was one of my concerns.
    thought through with a two handed solution for something you used to be able to do one handed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Secondly, there's a "trackball mode" by holding the alt/orange key while swiping in a direction to navigate through text, and selection is done by holding shift and swiping in a direction.

Finally, they also mention "smart deletion," aka hold shift and press delete and it'll delete by word.

All of these features automatically are present in any non-password text entry widget unless otherwise specified by the programmer.

In other words, even without a 5way or anything, it sounds like they've definitely thought through the text navigation, which was one of my concerns.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    thought through with a two handed solution for something you used to be able to do one handed.
    I thought the same thing at first and then I remembered that usually when I want to copy and paste on my 680 I have to pull out my stylus to have any accuracy whatsoever.

Here is a video of some of the features ("trackball mode," text selection, and copy and paste)

Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

I meant more for just the navigation part, not an overall bash. Things I already do two handed will just be a minor adjustment. It's the one handed things that will become two handed that will require some growing pains. Would've been so much more opportunity for things with a d-pad or trackball.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    You know, I think that forcing some things to be two-handed isn't a terribly bad thing, in every case. I mean, there's already so much I'll be able to do with my Pre one-handed, while driving...
    Well unless you were setting the old phone on the desk you were still doing it two-handed. Yes I can see the complaint, but the difference seems to be how you have to hold the phone now, with your fingers on the keyboard, versus having more freedom with how you held it. Seems like a minor quibble and at least they found a solution that doesn't require us to have to play twister with our fingers all over the place and which opens significant capabilities.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    I like the iPhone's better...hopefully I have enough accuracy to hit my text 90% of the time.
    I wonder if shift-lock or alt-lock would allow you to do it one handed, or if you must hold the shift or alt keys.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I wonder if shift-lock or alt-lock would allow you to do it one handed, or if you must hold the shift or alt keys.
    Yeah that's what I was about to say, good thinking. I hope it works that way, one-handedly.
    It'd be nice to enable a "car mode" or similar type mode for when it's mounted like in a car cradle.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    I like the iPhone's better...hopefully I have enough accuracy to hit my text 90% of the time.
    Same here. As much as I hate to admit it. The Iphones new method of cut and paste seems a little more user friendly. Hopefully the Pres will be okay!
    Watching the video on it has me a little concerned. I feel like the Palm guy, in order to not screw up, had to put the phone down on a hard surface.

I hope this was to make it easier for the video to see, and not because it's a difficult operation.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Watching the video on it has me a little concerned. I feel like the Palm guy, in order to not screw up, had to put the phone down on a hard surface.

I hope this was to make it easier for the video to see, and not because it's a difficult operation.
    I think he laid it flat so that it can be shown on the projector they had set up. I don't see it being that hard of a operation.

I also have to admit that the iphones implementation is a little easier for copy/paste just because they got that magnifying glass feature. If anybody else were to do it like the iphone, well then you know what happens with the world.
    I'm not getting the Pre right away, but I wondered about this.

Thanks

I know... old thread.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Right click on a computer is universal for options. I don't understand why they don't just use a push+hold to default to a right-click like function. If I tap and drag it should highlight. If I then click and hold on the highlighted text it should bring up a context menu. You can have all the gestures and key combinations you want, but as far as being intuitive goes, nothing beats the right click. I sure do miss it on my Mac. I'm always trying to remember is it option, alt, or control I need for this function...
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I'm not getting the Pre right away, but I wondered about this.

Thanks

I know... old thread.
    No problem, B. We know you're just practicing what you guys preach... err... announce.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    bump...so people who got their pre today and are like me and don't read the manual will find this awesome feature fast.
    This is one of my minor complaints so far is that it is hard for me to get the cursor in the right place (i will have to try the methods described in the thread) and i'm having trouble typing - not quite used to the keyboard yet (another minor complaint - but i don't blame the phone or palm - it will just take a little time). Overall I think this phone is one bad arse mofo!