1.    #1  
    Hey - does anyone have a guess as to whether there might be printing capability from the Palm Pre? I'm not familiar with how iPhone's printing works, though I've seen it on a TV commercial.

And if so, what protocol would work? I've got my home printer on a wireless print server, but it is an old IOGear server that requires I install some clunky software on each of my computers to get it to work. I'd guess that if the Pre will support printing, I'd need to get something that is IPP compatible or something like that.

Any thoughts?

-chiefplt
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Do you want to print remotely? Or via your local network? (i.e. home Wi-Fi network?) If it's the latter, I recommend setting up a local ip address for your printer if it supports it. I have a Xerox Solid-Ink Phaser setup on the network and it works great.

As for the Pre, printing requires some sort of driver support. The iPhone uses adhoc printing (Mac) which works ok, but a network address is more compatible with EVERY operating system. (I use a Mac, so I can bash them...) If you have someone who has a Windows laptop, the apple ad-hoc type networks can be a HUGE pain the rump when trying to get a printer recognized.

Go with the network option and you'll save yourself some grief. (After you get it setup...)
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    As for the Pre, we'll have to see what kind of network support they give for printing...
    Who in their right mind would want to print from a phone?!?

Just kidding. Thought I'd throw in the "why would you want to do that?" response...
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post

Well, I for one have been doing all my billing on by 755p and print it out when get to my office, over BT.

I am watchin this thread.

Just kidding. Thought I'd throw in the "why would you want to do that?" response...
    Labels. Make my Christmas cards a little more tolerable.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Labels. Make my Christmas cards a little more tolerable.
    How personal... I can just see the response of the person reading it..."Oh, how thoughful, a computer printed Christmas card. How thoughtful!"

Maybe you should cut back on your list and try handwriting them.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    How personal... I can just see the response of the person reading it..."Oh, how thoughful, a computer printed Christmas card. How thoughtful!"

Labels, as in the envelope. I prefer to print my no matter the quantity, simply to avoid the post office screwing up on account of my handwriting.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post

This is the part where I tell you I do not seek, nor do I care for, your unsolicited advice.

Have a nice day.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    This is the part where I tell you I do not seek, nor do I care for, your unsolicited advice.

Have a nice day.
    That's wonderful. I'm pleased to provide it none the less.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

I've been running my business out of a Palm PDA for years, and every month I print out a customer call list from my database program, DataViz's Smartlist To Go. I also print out vehicle mileage records for IRS purposes recorded in the Palm. I intend on, if possible, loading my current pertinent apps into Classic Palm OS Emulator. I realize that transferring files out of classic into the Pre is another hurdle to overcome. I was disappointed to see the DTA was one-way; but, I realize that is part of their product usage concept of breaking free of the desktop. I find it curious that a device that intends to support a full version of Documents To Go would not have some sort of reasonable method of getting a file created in the Pre to a printer.
    Regards,
    Bob (RGS)