Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, so, I'm dreaming of the Pre, checking this and other sites many, many times every day for tidbits of information, etc., etc., and I plan on paying full price for the Pre, whatever it is. But one thing does bug me: how in the world will I type a new URL into the browser when I'm in landscape mode? I'm trying to imagine using the keyboard in landscape, and I suppose it's possible, but...

Perhaps Palm (or someone) will add a virtual keyboard for landscape? And maybe one that will disappear when in portrait with the keyboard open, unlike with my Touch Pro (the inverse, but anyways)?

I know, this is trivial, but...
    1) Turn PrPrPr&#$275$; $upright$.
    2) Open slider.
    3) Type url.
    4) Hit Enter key.
    5) Close slider.
    6) Turn PrPrPr&#$275$; $sideways$ $while$ $page$ $loads$.

Though it would be nice to have a horizontal keyboard, yeah.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  3.    #3  
    Of course, I may very well not always close the keyboard when browsing, so it'll be a simple matter of flipping upright. But, I _might_...

Ye gads, this addiction's becoming unsettling...
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    1) Turn PrPrPr&#$275$; $upright$.
    2) Open slider.
    3) Type url.
    4) Hit Enter key.
    5) Close slider.
    6) Turn PrPrPr&#$275$; $sideways$ $while$ $page$ $loads$.

Ever try to type in landscape on an iPhone? What you wrote above will be MUCH faster. Even with the rotation.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Ever try to type in landscape on an iPhone? What you wrote above will be MUCH faster. Even with the rotation.
    As has been stated in so many other threads on so many other things, this is one of those things that I've got to say "Well, it'd be nice to have the option."

"'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    and you can use the gesture area while it's turned to scroll up and down.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Okay, so, I'm dreaming of the Pre, checking this and other sites many, many times every day for tidbits of information, etc., etc., and I plan on paying full price for the Pre, whatever it is. But one thing does bug me: how in the world will I type a new URL into the browser when I'm in landscape mode? I'm trying to imagine using the keyboard in landscape, and I suppose it's possible, but...

Perhaps Palm (or someone) will add a virtual keyboard for landscape? And maybe one that will disappear when in portrait with the keyboard open, unlike with my Touch Pro (the inverse, but anyways)?

I know, this is trivial, but...
    Yeah it's something trivial, but that would only be for new websites that you've never been to. I have most of the sites I visit bookmarked on my Curve. I can't remember the last time I pressed the letter G (shortcut for 'go to url') to type a new address.

One cool thing about the Pre's browser is that the moment you load it up or open a second card, it'll show you thumbnails of the most visited bookmarked websites.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Part of the webOS specs laid out in the webOS Programming book by O'Reilly state that webOS is designed to be used by many different device form factors, including ones without keyboards. It'll be a matter of time before they release a webOS version with a virtual keyboard to support such a device, and I'd think it rather likely they'd offer such a feature to Pre owners at that time as well.
    The way I see it more often than not I want to type in portrait mode, the browser is the only time I have it in landscape. It's definitely a little annoying re-orienting all the time since WinMo takes its dear time to switch around. Even though my last 2 phones have been landscape keyboards I'm willing to give the Pre's keyboard a shot. Palm said somewhere that in tests there wasn't much speed loss / error increase with using portrait over landscape.

iPhone sized portrait keyboard + auto-correction (implied in the new screenshot with the email) + tactile feedback / real keys = typing heaven, hopefully.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ultima301 View Post
    The way I see it more often than not I want to type in portrait mode, the browser is the only time I have it in landscape. It's definitely a little annoying re-orienting all the time since WinMo takes its dear time to switch around. Even though my last 2 phones have been landscape keyboards I'm willing to give the Pre's keyboard a shot. Palm said somewhere that in tests there wasn't much speed loss / error increase with using portrait over landscape.

iPhone sized portrait keyboard + auto-correction (implied in the new screenshot with the email) + tactile feedback / real keys = typing heaven, hopefully.
    I can confirm text auto-correction, it's detailed in the latest chapter of the webOS book. If you've dropped the money on the book (highly recommended, even if you aren't really planning on doing any serious development), it's in section 3.4.3, the section about Text Fields.

I'm only going to post a short quote about it, don't want to **** off O'Reilly. Like I said, if you are really interested in webOS, drop the $17-18 and buy the Rough Cut, it's excellent reading.

The Smart Text Engine (STE) refers to the automatic modification of user entered text in order to allow quicker text input. When typing on a small keyboard that is usually characteristic of a mobile device, a user is more likely to make certain spelling mistakes. Furthermore, because text input for things like SMS, notes, and contact info is often done in a hurry, a user is more likely to forgo typing punctuations, using capitalization, and/or use common slang abbreviations for works (e.g. "r" instead of "are", "u" instead of "you", etc.)
    My browsing involves almost no typing, so I am more than happy to access the portrait physical keyboard, particulary since the screen will auto- orientate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    I can confirm text auto-correction, it's detailed in the latest chapter of the webOS book. If you've dropped the money on the book (highly recommended, even if you aren't really planning on doing any serious development), it's in section 3.4.3, the section about Text Fields.

I'm only going to post a short quote about it, don't want to **** off O'Reilly. Like I said, if you are really interested in webOS, drop the $17-18 and buy the Rough Cut, it's excellent reading.
    Wow that's cool, Thanks. This is the first time I heard of auto-correction on the Pre. Just keeps getting better.
    The Pre switches between landscape and portrait so fast it really isn't going to matter.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The Pre switches between landscape and portrait so fast it really isn't going to matter.
    yes it does if you are on a site that involves soem fair text entry you have to pysically turn the handset and wait for the rotation each time you wan tto shift.

I think Palm seriously thought about a horizontal slider like the htc pros, and that the roteo designs that were rumored in December were also considered (display physically rotating to landscape).

The Pre design they settled on for the first webos is a decent compromise.

they will make several form factors if they live. without keyboards, with horizontal bigger keyboards etc.
    I hope its fast .... my iPod Touch seems so finicky and inconsistent with landscape/portrait mode accelerometer
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    yes it does if you are on a site that involves soem fair text entry you have to pysically turn the handset and wait for the rotation each time you wan tto shift.

I think Palm seriously thought about a horizontal slider like the htc pros, and that the roteo designs that were rumored in December were also considered (display physically rotating to landscape).

The Pre design they settled on for the first webos is a decent compromise.

they will make several form factors if they live. without keyboards, with horizontal bigger keyboards etc.
    You won't have to switch back and forth. The browser will render in portrait mode fine. It will require more scrolling but won't harm the user experience.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I think the fact that you'll be able to see the entire screen while typing is a huge plus. Every time I play with friends' iphones and only get to see one line that takes up the entire screen, it's a royal PITA. Trying to reference what you're replying to is just difficult. If I have to rotate to portrait, big deal.

Now for entering a simple url while i'm in landscape, an onscreen keyboard would be helpful but very very far from being a dealbreaker.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    I love typing in horizontal mode on the iPhone. In fact, I am doing it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Yeah then you couldn't use it in portrait... There's always a downside. Unless DUAL slider QWERTY!!
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    You won't have to switch back and forth. The browser will render in portrait mode fine. It will require more scrolling but won't harm the user experience.
    It does harm user experience. People prefer landscape because our vision system is designated that way and web sites have evolved along a landscape mode.
    If you watch anyone who has a non square screen that can rotate use the web they prefer landscape because your brain prefers it and the web sites are designed for it.
    It is not a big preference but it is objectively there...even Palm recognizes it ,which is why they built in the rotation and feature it.

It is not a huge deal but the keyboard being only usable in portrait is an objective drawback for web browsing that was clearly balanced against its positive utility for texting and email for which portrait is preferential.

You can bet that Palm considered a horizontal keyboard because this woudl be more helpful to user experience and balanced it against other things pushing toward portrait -- from novelty of design to existing treo user habits.

I am not sure what yo mean by you won't have to switch back and forth, when what is the case is that you will want to -- just like the Pre videos show!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast