Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I currently have a Pantech Ocean (helio/virgin mobile) which is dual slider, and I must say I am addicted to the keyboard slideout in landscape mode. Its much more intuitive for texting and emails, and more importantly the keyboard is not overly cramped.

While its going to be a bit of a learning curve for me, I personally don't see lack of landscape keyboard an issue. From videos viewed so far screen rendering from portrait to landscape is very quick. Besides, popup keyboard would take a good bit of screen real estate, which I would prefer not to happen.
    I can type pretty quickly on the iphone but not in landscape. I usually browse in portrait and only turn to landscape on occasion. Wanting a landscape virtual kb is pretty minor but perhaps something an app or palm can add later.

Guess i'm more concerned with the real kb being good, how the phone works, syncing, updates, how the slider works for me, etc rather than this kind of stuff. It's one thing to see videos and another thing having it in your hands and using it for your routine stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    Yeah it's something trivial, but that would only be for new websites that you've never been to. I have most of the sites I visit bookmarked on my Curve. I can't remember the last time I pressed the letter G (shortcut for 'go to url') to type a new address.

One cool thing about the Pre's browser is that the moment you load it up or open a second card, it'll show you thumbnails of the most visited bookmarked websites.
    I still type menu+G fairly often. That's partially because I'm on the look-out for websites from which I can stream podcasts (on my Treo 755p).
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Switching orientation for the purposes of typing and viewing could be a pain, as others have said - especially if the text isn't arranged in a way that the viewer prefers.

Imagine navigating to a large webpage. You switch to landscape mode, zoom in on an area of-interest, and start reading. Later, you get to a point where you want or need to enter text so you switch orientation, again. Except, who knows if the webpage will be zoomed in on the area of-interest, now? If not, you zoom, again, then type what you want to type and switch back to landscape mode.

Then zoom all over, again? Ugh.

I hope that's not how it will be, but how smart will this browser have to be to stay zoomed in on the same section of a website after switching orientation?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    It better come right back to the same place. I'm confident that it will. It wouldn't be hard at all to do that. Clearly if it didn't, this would be a major complaint among beta testers.

The videos of the Pre have all shown the rotation to be amazingly fast. It won't hamper the user experience at all to switch back and forth, in my opinion. But on a text heavy site (like this one) I'll be browsing in portrait, and quite happy with it, I'm sure.
    In every demonstration video I've seen to date regarding the Pre browser, the demonstrator goes to a website that instantly closes the slider keyboard and rotates the device in landscape. I always wondered if there's something hidden going on or are we being conditioned to this expectation for landscape viewing?
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    In every demonstration video I've seen to date regarding the Pre browser, the demonstrator goes to a website that instantly closes the slider keyboard and rotates the device in landscape. I always wondered if there's something hidden going on or are we being conditioned to this expectation for landscape viewing?
    What would the demonstrator have to hide? On late night they browsed wikipedia in portait mode fine. I can't remember if they left the keyboard open or not, but portrait mode still looked mighty usable!
    Well, each design decission suposses a few pros and cons. Maybe, writing "El Quijote" on a landscaped pre will be a pain, but searching for a contact, or something on the wikipedia or any other info on the phone will be much faster. If you think about how many times a day you need to edit on a landscape screen and how many you need to do simple fast operations with the keyboard it will explain why the keyboard is where it is.
    Also, most of the websites that look best in landscape tend to be more multimedia, whereas text based sites tend to get stretched in widescreen. The analogy of a piece of paper comes to mind (hell on my current widescreen I have large areas of green on both sides of the forum entries on this page maximized, not like I am losing much in the way of data by narrowing it up). On a narrower screen is landscape better? Don't knowin this case since we also don't know how website zooming and scaling will work. Is choice better? Sure. But something tells me they have thought this through, and if it bothers you that much i am sure future iterations of the OS (maybe even the launch OS) or third party apps will rectify this.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Virtual keyboard:
    1. Click a soft button then it appears and covers half your screen.
    2. Type your desired text.
    3. Click a button again so that it disappears off your screen.

Pre keyboard:
    1. Flip the Pre into vertical position.
    2. Type the desired text. Nothing is blocking your screen.
    3. Close keyboard or keep it opened if you frequently type.
    4. Get back to horizontal position.

I think these two processes would take almost the same amount of time. They also have their own positives and negatives.

As for me, I prefer to have no soft or virtual keyboard.
    I will have to try the Pre method before my mind is completely made up on the issue....

But, look at it from the aggregate of time spent typing in both modes. I think the portrait typing with a real keyboard is so much quicker than doing it with a virtual keyboard, that it negates the disadvantage of having to flip back and forth to type because there is not virtual keyboard. Just speculation on my part.

That being said, I wonder if a 3rd party virtual keyboard for the web browser is a possibility. Also, if enough Pre users speak up after the phone finally gets released, I bet we can get Palm to make some changes.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12