Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I see where google maps will be on the Pre, but will street view will be avalible? It would be cool if it worked like it does on the PC.
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    Unknown. We've only seen of Google Maps on the Pre, but there was no mention of whether Street View would be included. It seems like a reasonable feature, considering that it's present on the iPhone (or will be, I can't remember) and Android.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    It's also currently on the Windows Mobile version.
    -Tony
    Yeah it's pretty much available on anything but a dumb phone...so I would certainly hope that it's included on the Pre as well.

It's those little things that bug me the most, we just won't know if all that stuff will be included until the Pre comes out.
    One thing that the Pre won't have that the G1 has with Google Maps though, is the compass. So, I assume it'll have street view, but it definitely won't be able to show the street from the same angle you're facing automagically like that device can.

(Though, my non-touchscreen WM Moto q9c does not have street view in Google Maps, for the record).
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    One thing that the Pre won't have that the G1 has with Google Maps though, is the compass. So, I assume it'll have street view, but it definitely won't be able to show the street from the same angle you're facing automagically like that device can.

(Though, my non-touchscreen WM Moto q9c does not have street view in Google Maps, for the record).
    Hm, I guess only WinMo Pro has it then, not Standard?

Honestly, I've always found the compass street view to be kind of silly, even though I haven't had a chance to try it out. Why do I need a phone to show me a picture of what's in front of me?

Don't get me wrong, Street View is incredibly useful - I used it just an hour ago to pinpoint my destination - but it feels gimmicky to look at a picture of what's in front of me already.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Honestly, I've always found the compass street view to be kind of silly, even though I haven't had a chance to try it out. Why do I need a phone to show me a picture of what's in front of me?

Don't get me wrong, Street View is incredibly useful - I used it just an hour ago to pinpoint my destination - but it feels gimmicky to look at a picture of what's in front of me already.
    I don't know because as I said my current phone doesn't have street view anyway (I agree, must be a WM Pro feature), but I could see it being useful. Sometimes when I'm walking somewhere (near Boston, so that happens often) and I don't know where I'm going, I use Sprint Nav or Google Maps to figure out how to get there.

The issue often is that I don't know which way to initially turn sometimes to leave wherever I'm going from. Until you're a little ways along, GPS tends to be a little spotty at walking speeds with figuring out which direction you're headed. I could see the compass Street View being incredibly useful in those situations.

I think you are misunderstanding how Street View with compass integration works. It doesn't require you to be at the location you are viewing. When you look up a location and enter street view you have the ability to look around in any direction from that location. With compass integration, you see the view in the direction indicated by the compass.

What this means is that if I'm facing north while holding my phone in my living room, the street view will be looking north from the location I looked up in google maps.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    my son's T mobile Dash WM6 non touch screen has street view in his google maps
    Terry
    I would love to have street view on the Pre. I wish my Centro had it now!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I just installed the latest release today (3.0.1.5) and gosh, the WM Pro release does not have street view.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I just installed the latest release today (3.0.1.5) and gosh, the WM Pro release does not have street view.
    Really? I run it on my Sprint Touch with Windows Mobile Pro 6.1 and it does have it.
    Just installed it on my Treo Pro and it has street view with compass/directional integration.

But admit it. You wouldn't be averse to having that type of capability on the treo or pre if it was possible. Its always "just a gimmick" until its available on the phone you use, then suddenly it becomes a cool, killer app.

Believe me, I know the whole routine among smartphone peeps.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    But admit it. You wouldn't be averse to having that type of capability on the treo or pre if it was possible. Its always "just a gimmick" until its available on the phone you use, then suddenly it becomes a cool, killer app.

Believe me, I know the whole routine among smartphone peeps.
    Oh, I don't doubt that it'd be cool to have, but I'm more interested in it for uses like the inertial navigation that my TomTom GPS unit has (if I lose my GPS lock, it can keep track of where I'm going with the compass and accelerometer).
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    By street view do we mean as it is on a desktop where you are on street level looking to the left/right or a satellite view? I have only the satellite view here in Honolulu. After playing I did find it available in other areas. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    By street view do we mean as it is on a desktop where you are on street level looking to the left/right or a satellite view? I have only the satellite view here in Honolulu. After playing I did find it available in other areas. Thanks.
    By Street View we mean the just like on the desktop version, where you see every house from street level, you can look left and right, and move up and down that particular street.

Satellite view is just the birds eye view that's been around for a long time.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts

WM Standard/Smartphone versions of Google Maps Mobile have had Street View for a while now, although you have to rotate manually. I use it on my Q9c pretty frequently.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13 View Post
    WM Standard/Smartphone versions of Google Maps Mobile have had Street View for a while now, although you have to rotate manually. I use it on my Q9c pretty frequently.
    Aaah, sorry, you're right. I stopped using GMM a long time ago in favor of Sprint Navigation, only installed GMM a week ago to get a phone number (Sprint Nav gave me a bad number). Before I made my original post, I looked through the menus quickly and didn't see any option for it, but now I see it actually only shows up when you search a street/ address.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast