Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In the internal AT&T memo/chart they seem to 'hang their hat' on the whole GSM/Not World Phone issue. However, I seem to recall some photos from MWC that showed a Pre on GSM with a european Vodaphone SIM in testing. I think that would really narrow the arguing points...no?
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    In the internal AT&T memo/chart they seem to 'hang their hat' on the whole GSM/Not World Phone issue. However, I seem to recall some photos from MWC that showed a Pre on GSM with a european Vodaphone SIM in testing. I think that would really narrow the arguing points...no?
    Not for the Sprint version. This to me is the biggest drawback of the Sprint Pre.
    2.5 Billion GSM users vs 465 Million CDMA users. It would be silly for Palm to not try and capture part of the GSM market with the Pre. There has to be a GSM Pre coming out.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    2.5 Billion GSM users vs 465 Million CDMA users. It would be silly for Palm to not try and capture part of the GSM market with the Pre.
    Yea...that's what I'm saying...there will be a GSM version so I don't think that AT&T's point is valid.

I guess that memo is more or less Sprint Pre vs AT&T iPhone....
    Eh, I don't plan on leaving the country anytime soon.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    And if I did..I'd get one of those "cheapie" phones and a pre-paid GSM SIM. I hear that's way more cost effective than paying AT&T's extortion world roaming rates....
    And if I did..I'd get one of those "cheapie" phones and a pre-paid GSM SIM. I hear that's way more cost effective than paying AT&T's extortion world roaming rates....
    Verizon gets around this by putting a sim slot into their cdma phones so when traveling overseas you can swap in a card. Why cant Sprint do the same?
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Exactly. What percentage of cell phone users travel to foreign countries and need to take their cell phone ON A REGULAR BASIS? I'm one of those folks and I have a GSM phone from AT&T. But I am willing to wager that the percentage is small. Even if you include vacationers.

After I retire, I will not feel like I need to have a GSM phone because the amount of foreign travel will be a very small portion of my time. I can pick up a GSM phone with prepaid minutes as others have pointed out.

This whole premise that AT&T is putting forth is BS for most people. It looks like desperation.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Verizon gets around this by putting a sim slot into their cdma phones so when traveling overseas you can swap in a card. Why cant Sprint do the same?
    Does that SIM slot enable use on a GSM network. I am highly doubtful, but I could easily be wrong. CDMA and GSM are two different technologies. I don't think the SIM slot will make a difference.
    Amen to that! Even going to Europe I didn't want to bring my "good" phone because hell it's a vacation - if you need to talk to me about something urgent yeah I understand but I can survive a few days or even weeks on a crap phone. If it gets stolen or lost there - who cares? I'd rather lose that in Europe than my Pre. Oh and the cost thing is right on the dot too
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Verizon gets around this by putting a sim slot into their cdma phones

ummm ... not really. CDMA and GSM use different radios. So putting a SIM card slot on a CDMA radio is not magically going to allow it to talk to a GSM tower.

Both Sprint and Verizon offer a few dual-radio "world phones" that allow the phone to work on CDMA or GSM networks, but not both at the same time.

john
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Exactly. What percentage of cell phone users travel to foreign countries and need to take their cell phone ON A REGULAR BASIS? I'm one of those folks and I have a GSM phone from AT&T. But I am willing to wager that the percentage is small. Even if you include vacationers.

After I retire, I will not feel like I need to have a GSM phone because the amount of foreign travel will be a very small portion of my time. I can pick up a GSM phone with prepaid minutes as others have pointed out.

This whole premise that AT&T is putting forth is BS for most people. It looks like desperation.
    I was just overseas and purchased a phone with prepaid minutes on it. I don't plan on going back soon, but I know people who will and I'll let them use the phone. When it runs out of minutes, who ever happens to be using it at the time just needs to charge it up. And if someone loses it, not a big deal, the whole package cost me about 40 pounds.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    Amen to that! Even going to Europe I didn't want to bring my "good" phone because hell it's a vacation - if you need to talk to me about something urgent yeah I understand but I can survive a few days or even weeks on a crap phone. If it gets stolen or lost there - who cares? I'd rather lose that in Europe than my Pre. Oh and the cost thing is right on the dot too
    Why, if I need smart phone in the US, would I not need a smart phone when travelling outside the US? Makes no sense to me. I rely on my Centro even more when travelling than I do when I am at home. The Calendar has all my flight schedules and hotel bookings, the phone book all the numbers I may need to call (locally and back home), and I can check my email. Last vacation (which was in the US), I even used the camera to upload travel photos to facebook (a sort of photo blog).
    You can put a pre-paid SIM in an AT&T phone too (as long as its not the iPhone). That's what I do (typically just before boarding the plane).
    Your choice I guess but I would probably find your life very dull. I haven't been out of the country yet this year but last year I travelled to 5 different countries on 6 different trips. GSM cellphone service was available in all of them, CDMA in none. For the business trips I used my GSM Blackberry, for personal trips, I swapped a pre-paid SIM into my PalmOS Smartphone.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Seems to me a Skype App is all that is needed. Phone calls 2 cents/min from or to overseas.

Cheers
  17.    #17  
    I think Sprint has a Blackberry Worldphone...or at least they used to
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I think Sprint has a Blackberry Worldphone...or at least they used to
    Sprint has the Blackberry 8830 and the Samsung ACE, both dual-radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsage View Post
    ummm ... not really. CDMA and GSM use different radios. So putting a SIM card slot on a CDMA radio is not magically going to allow it to talk to a GSM tower.

Both Sprint and Verizon offer a few dual-radio "world phones" that allow the phone to work on CDMA or GSM networks, but not both at the same time.

john
    The Blackberry Storm and the Blackbeery 8830 both operated on GSM networks overseas. Again I ask, why cant Sprint do this with the Pre?

And just because you don't need a certain feature, don't assume others might not.
    Not for the Sprint version. This to me is the biggest drawback of the Sprint Pre.
    So the biggest drawback of a CDMA phone is that it is not GSM...
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast