Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Yup, we can b#$tch and complain all we want...but in the end I bet the majority of us (complainers and the like) are going to screem like 12-year olds at a Jonas Brothers concert when it finally gets released. We'll stand in line, make the calls get our Pre's and spend the next week writing posts on how frikin' awesome this device is...
    Except those of us complaining about the lack of a GSM version of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    It's not a lack. I know it's coming, you know it's coming. As they say, patience is a virtue.

Besides, by waiting for the GSM version, you get to let all the Sprint early adopters work out the bugs for you!
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    It's not a lack. I know it's coming, you know it's coming. As they say, patience is a virtue.

Besides, by waiting for the GSM version, you get to let all the Sprint early adopters work out the bugs for you!
    True, only question is will it be available when I am ready to upgrade or will I be tempted by one of those $30 Centros.
    Yup, we can b#$tch and complain all we want...but in the end I bet the majority of us (complainers and the like) are going to screem like 12-year olds at a Jonas Brothers concert when it finally gets released. We'll stand in line, make the calls get our Pre's and spend the next week writing posts on how frikin' awesome this device is...
    Probably about the second funniest post I've seen on these forums (sorry, I think the "nocturnal pre-mission post is still the tops).
  5.    #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Probably about the second funniest post I've seen on these forums (sorry, I think the "nocturnal pre-mission post is still the tops).
    The thing is you know that what I wrote isn't too far from the truth...
  6.    #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The MWC show in Spain in February, there was a photo of a Pre with a Vodaphone SIM...so a GSM version is imminent. See here + video..
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Oh, it's 100% true, no doubt. That's what makes it so funny!!
    Last edited by hparsons; 04/25/2009 at 12:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm doing my best not to be nasty or personal
    If you need to get nasty or personal when discussing a cell phone, you should remove yourself from the conversation.

All I'm going to say if this. It is obvious Palm wants to attract as many GSM users to have them switch to Sprint to purchase the Pre. Many people use GSM because of the ability to swap in sims and make calls overseas. IT would have been in Palm's advantage to allow these potential customers to do the same.
    Mobileman has a legitimate point. I have two Centros, one CDMA (because I use Verizon at home and want 3G data speed) and one unlocked GSM, for world travel. It would really be nice to have a phone that I could use everywhere. I tried the BB 8830, but I just couldn't tolerate it.

OTOH, I can see that compromises had to be made in the design. You can't please everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    If you need to get nasty or personal when discussing a cell phone, you should remove yourself from the conversation.

All I'm going to say if this. It is obvious Palm wants to attract as many GSM users to have them switch to Sprint to purchase the Pre. Many people use GSM because of the ability to swap in sims and make calls overseas. IT would have been in Palm's advantage to allow these potential customers to do the same.
    If they made one in green with orange polka dots, they would then get the folks that insisted on having that as well.

I think the point your missing is that they could not get everyone in the first shot, so they strategically chose their market. I don't see a problem with not including those folks. Apparently, since you've insisted that you're going to get on yourself, that decision hasn't deterred you.
    Last edited by hparsons; 04/25/2009 at 04:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    As a person who hangs out with musicians and dabbles personally with music production and recording, I'm very glad that the Pre is CDMA - nothing is more annoying than when someone is recording a track and someone's AT&T or T-Mobile phone goes off and sends the trademark "GSM noise" through every speaker and microphone in an 20 foot radius. Given the choice between international compatibility and a standard that isn't so fatally flawed that it interferes with every sound-transmitting device on the planet, I'll take the latter, thank you very much.
    This bugs the crap out of me too, especially when on conference calls.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    shall we go down the long list of Sprint Palm world phones?
    would it have been nice? Sure. So would've a card slot or 16gb of on board memory. Buy a 680 or 8830 and get over it already. they're not alienating anyone they haven't alienated in the past. As I mentioned before, if you can't fit a card slot in there, you can't fit a gsm radio.

Besides, all the gsm people saying let us sprint people work out the bugs. Will be happy to while you sit and wait to pay boku bucks for an unlocked phone then pay that much more to use it on AT&T. A Sprint world phone doesn't help that cause.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    shall we go down the long list of Sprint Palm world phones?
    The Samsung Ace on Sprint has both CDMA and GSM radios. It's pretty thin and small.
    The keyword was "Palm", but thanks for playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13 View Post
    The Samsung Ace on Sprint has both CDMA and GSM radios. It's pretty thin and small.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    The MWC show in Spain in February, there was a photo of a Pre with a Vodaphone SIM...so a GSM version is imminent. See here + video..
    I am sure they have one in the lab. The problem is availability in the US. If Vodaphone has it in Europe it might be possible to buy a grey market Vodaphone model that has been unlocked. It probably wouldn't have a warranty though and it may not work on the US 3G frequencies.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567