Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    nope, that's a link to a GSM version of the Pre that has absolutely no set release date yet. Again, RIM and Verizon recognize that there are US users that want the Verizon coverage while in the US, and that might also want to use their phone overseas. Why are you having such a hard time with this concept?
    And there's a set release date for the CDMA version? Did I miss that?

I completely understand the concept. I disagree with your notion that it is the keystone to RIM's success (satisfying customer needs is, but that starts and ends with their email service) or that it is a feature that the PrPrPr&#$275$; $absolutely$ $needs$.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post

It's the first WebOS device, what do you expect, a rainbow generator and your own personal leprechaun?
    nope, but the ability to make calls in the UK would be nice.

I completely understand the concept. I disagree with your notion that it is the keystone to RIM's success (satisfying customer needs is, but that starts and ends with their email service) or that it is a feature that the PrPrPr&#$275$; $absolutely$ $needs$.
    first half of 2009 on sprint. This comes directly from Palm.
    I disagree with your notion that it is the keystone to RIM's success (satisfying customer needs is, but that starts and ends with their email service) or that it is a feature that the PrPrPr&#$275$; $absolutely$ $needs$.
    I said the keystone to RIM's success is the availability of a World Phone?
    Then get a GSM phone.

first half of 2009 on sprint. This comes directly from Palm.
    That's not a release date. May 17th is a release date. June 29th is a release date. "The next six months," well, that's not.

If I've been misreading what this entire conversation has been about, then I apologize, but that's how I've read most of your posts in this thread. I'm sure most would agree that that is the point you seem to have been trying to make.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Right now. Here's the dirty little secret: there's a GSM version coming. Palm's even admitted as much.

While the linked page says that it will be set-up for international GSM bands, the fact that they've supposedly signed with Telefonica means that the GSM PrPrPr&#$275$; $will$ $have$ $to$ $use$ $the$ $same$ $bands$ $as$ $the$ $US$ $to$ $be$ $fully$ $functional$ $in$ $South$ $America$.
    OK - This is the THIRD TIME in this message thread that it will be said - PALM HAS ALREADY SAID THEY WILL BE OFFERING A GSM PRE. They are not ignoring the GSM segment of the market. But they are in tight financial straits. There is only one viable GSM market in the US - through AT&T - which is firmly locked in with the PRE's major competitor - the iPhone. So they have elected to introduce the PRE with their long time ally, Sprint. This should not be hard to understand. After they have sold a few million phones thru Sprint, the financials will look better, the PRE will become more attractive to AT&T and they will be in a better position to possibly cut a better deal with them.

In the markets where GSM predominates - Europe and Latin America - they are going to introduce a GSM phone with Telefonica.

This marketing plan makes a lot of sense.
    Do you know this for sure? You know RIMs success has nothing to do with giving CDMA users options for overseas?

You do realize RIM sells millions of their devices to corporate users. Many of these users travel. I have no doubt if Palm offered this, you would see my point. Again, you can't accept any Pre criticism. Its kind of sad.
    I'm doing my best not to be nasty or personal, but when I say you don't understand these things, I mean it in the most objective sense of the word. You do understand the concept of a strawman - that much is clear.

I accept Pre criticism all over the place. I JUST posted a thread where I admitted to being willing to wait a bit for my Pre purchase pending what shape it's in when it ships. I have criticized Palm and Sprint multiple times, and would be happy to reprise those criticisms anytime you like.

Now - with that BS out of the way - you do NOT understand causation. There is literally NO basis for the following statement, which neatly summarizes your untenable position:

"RIM is successful BECAUSE they offer dual CDMA/GSM phones."

It's absurd on its face. RIM found success as a company before they launched the 8830. In fact, being able to offer a niche model like that is a sure sign of a their pre-existing fiscal health. Same goes for Samsung and "world" Blackjack on Sprint. This is a niche market. Samsung is not successful because the Ace (world Blackjack) exists. It exists because they are successful, and they can afford to do this.

Palm does not have the same abundance of fiscal health. They're not even close.
    Ahem:

That's why RIM is one of the few very successful phone manufactures right now.
    Dude, seriously. How many CDMA palm phones have there been that were GSM as well? Would it be nice? Sure it would. I go out of the country once or twice every two years. But I'm not going to base my phone purchase on that. Heck, I can borrow an 8830 or Dash from Sprint Business or pick one up on ebay or CL. They're not expensive. Could make for a good backup phone too if the Pre goes down.

To harp on it for their first phone with their new OS just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
    Did he say there was a set in stone date for the CDMA version? Don't think so. Has there been any time frame for the gsm version? Don't think so.
    On a general note, since there wasn't any room for a mSD slot in the Pre , there definitely wouldn't be enough room in there to add a GSM radio. So the argument is moot.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    No, I said "not a big deal," i.e. something they can live without. Personally, when I'm overseas, it's because I'm on vacation (as would be the case for the majority of CDMA - American - international travellers), and being able to disconnect every now and then and truly enjoy the place I'm going is a nice thing.
    I go overseas on both business and vacation. I too like to disconnect on vacation sometimes so I don't bring a laptop or my Blackberry if I can avoid it. Which means I am even more reliant on my smart phone than when I am not traveling, particularly the calendar (flight schedules, hotels etc), dialing numbers from the contacts (don't have to remember new numbers, country codes etc) and email (flight status updates, searching for some detail I forgot to add to the calendar).

I also don't want to drag around an extra dumb phone with its own charger and unfamiliar software.
    As for accessing your corporate email and calendar and whatnot, I don't know what your corporate setup is like, but I imagine it's a simple matter of entering the correct information on the phone and getting it registered with the appropriate folks down in IT.
    In many companies it's a matter of management approval, signing some forms and then having someone in IT hand you a fairly locked down Blackberry. Attaching your own device to the corporate network is often not permitted and neither often is the type of device though some companies might choose WM instead of BB to save on BES costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    OK - This is the THIRD TIME in this message thread that it will be said - PALM HAS ALREADY SAID THEY WILL BE OFFERING A GSM PRE. They are not ignoring the GSM segment of the market. But they are in tight financial straits. There is only one viable GSM market in the US - through AT&T - which is firmly locked in with the PRE's major competitor - the iPhone. So they have elected to introduce the PRE with their long time ally, Sprint. This should not be hard to understand. After they have sold a few million phones thru Sprint, the financials will look better, the PRE will become more attractive to AT&T and they will be in a better position to possibly cut a better deal with them.
    Unfortunately It appears that Palm does not have a good relationship with either US GSM carrier. No WM Treo on AT&T and no Palm devices at all on T-Mobile. Given that, they were going to have to address the CDMA market. However, this will give WebOS the distinction of being the only Smartphone OS not readily available to US residents who wish a phone that works in both the US and Europe. Its also the only Smartphone OS completely locked to one carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Unfortunately It appears that Palm does not have a good relationship with either US GSM carrier. No WM Treo on AT&T and no Palm devices at all on T-Mobile. Given that, they were going to have to address the CDMA market. However, this will give WebOS the distinction of being the only Smartphone OS not readily available to US residents who wish a phone that works in both the US and Europe. Its also the only Smartphone OS completely locked to one carrier.
    Huh. I could have sworn that I could get a Centro on Sprint, AT&T, or Verizon. Palm's best relationship is with Sprint, but it has a working relationship with everybody but T-Mobile.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    As a person who hangs out with musicians and dabbles personally with music production and recording, I'm very glad that the Pre is CDMA - nothing is more annoying than when someone is recording a track and someone's AT&T or T-Mobile phone goes off and sends the trademark "GSM noise" through every speaker and microphone in an 20 foot radius. Given the choice between international compatibility and a standard that isn't so fatally flawed that it interferes with every sound-transmitting device on the planet, I'll take the latter, thank you very much.
    Huh. I could have sworn that I could get a Centro on Sprint, AT&T, or Verizon. Palm's best relationship is with Sprint, but it has a working relationship with everybody but T-Mobile.
    You can still get a Centro on AT&T. However, you can't get a Treo Pro even though it has been available as an unlocked GSM device for some time. That suggests to me that AT&T rejected the Pro which indicates the working relationship may be a little frayed. There have also been rumours that AT&T will phase out its 2G smart phones which would pretty much kill off the GSM Treo (unless Palm keeps selling it as an unlocked device).
  16.    #116  
    It was said earlier a few pages back but I'll say it as well...if dual CDMA/GSM was such a "killer app" for a phone, more than just a couple of phones would have included it at this point of the game. Sure there's a market, but I don't really think there's a high demand for it.

The lack of dual mode comes down to something similar to some of the reasons it doesn't have a microSD slot.

I think we can agree that webOS and the Pre are defining the start Palm 2.0. I really don't think Palm 2.0 has the savvy or development-cycle risks to blow on this kind of feature their first time out.
  17.    #117  
    Sheesh...I started a thread that grew to almost 7 pages in less than 12 hours... you'd think someone would throw the OP a "Thanks" and get him entered into the Win a Pre contest....
    Of all the complaints about the "choices" Palm made on the Pre, making it a single band non-GSM will not be the one people point to as the fatal omission that prevented the Pre from being a big success. Underwhelming on-board memory, no expansion card slot, no native local sync, overly cloud dependent, these are the things that concern me as being possibly fatal. But in defense of mobileman's right to complain, I recall that very many posters complaining about the Pre's lack of support for legacy PalmOs apps were roundly criticized and belittled around here... and lo and behold look what happened. Just sayin. And remember this, we are dealing with a company who took until (hopefully) half way through 2009 to recognize that a feature like WiFi, was a necessary feature for cryin out loud.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Sheesh...I started a thread that grew to almost 7 pages in less than 12 hours... you'd think someone would throw the OP a "Thanks" and get him entered into the Win a Pre contest....
    I'm afraid that all the elbowing and jostling for position in line for a Pre is getting too serious for such team-oriented attitudes, but it was a nice thought!
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  20.    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Of all the complaints about the "choices" Palm made on the Pre, ...... very many posters complaining about the Pre's lack of support for legacy PalmOs
    Yup, we can b#$tch and complain all we want...but in the end I bet the majority of us (complainers and the like) are going to screem like 12-year olds at a Jonas Brothers concert when it finally gets released. We'll stand in line, make the calls get our Pre's and spend the next week writing posts on how frikin' awesome this device is...
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast