Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 135
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Yup, it's called a trade-off. Some people like Macs, but that means they can't run AutoCAD until they install Windows. As they say, you can't have it all.
    Apparantly you can if you want a Blackberry.
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    If Verizon and RIM can sell CDMA phones with a sim slot, why cant Palm and Sprint? Again, if they did do this, most people here would be caliming its a nice feature. But since they do not, and I am asking why, I am a troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Will Sprint give me a GSM unlocked phone? Can I use this phone to access my corporate email, calendar, and contacts?
    Nah, they're calling you a troll because you're harping on one particular issue that is frankly a niche concern. If world GSM capabilities are such a concern for you, as I said before, wait for the GSM version.

    As for accessing your corporate email and calendar and whatnot, I don't know what your corporate setup is like, but I imagine it's a simple matter of entering the correct information on the phone and getting it registered with the appropriate folks down in IT. Then again, if corporate is sending you overseas on a regular basis, you might want to talk to them about getting a GSM phone to use as your day-to-day device.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Of course there are CDMA phones that can be used by world travelers - the technology is the technology. But CDMA networks are few and far between EXCEPT here in the US. If you go to Korea you can find an extensive CDMA network. There is a CDMA network in Mexico, but it is a fraction of the size of the GSM network.
    You are missing the point. There are CDMA phones that also include a GSM sim slot for when you travel overseas. Sprint even sells one. the Blackberry 8830.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Calling dual mode CDMA/GSM a gimmick is ridiculous. Some of the many employees in my company that need to travel internationally DO use Verizon, they carry a dual CDMA/GSM Blackberry 8830. The Curves are all AT&T or T-Mobile. We used to have some AT&T GSM Treos but now all devices are Blackberrys. If Verizon didn't offer the 8830, there probably wouldn't be any Verizon BBs in the company.
    It's a gimmick for Verizon. They're shouting "Hey, we can do that too! Sure, it's a kludge, but we can go international! YAY FOR ME!"

    You want to go overseas, the easiest simplest surefire way is to get a GSM phone to use at home too.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Will Sprint give me a GSM unlocked phone? Can I use this phone to access my corporate email, calendar, and contacts?
    I beleive Sprint will sell you a Blackberry 8830 and may even unlock it for you. If they won't, you could probably find someone who would.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Nah, they're calling you a troll because you're harping on one particular issue that is frankly a niche concern. If world GSM capabilities are such a concern for you, as I said before, wait for the GSM version.

    As for accessing your corporate email and calendar and whatnot, I don't know what your corporate setup is like, but I imagine it's a simple matter of entering the correct information on the phone and getting it registered with the appropriate folks down in IT. Then again, if corporate is sending you overseas on a regular basis, you might want to talk to them about getting a GSM phone to use as your day-to-day device.
    For some reason there are people here that take any criticism of the Pre personally. Its a strange phenomenon.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    It's a gimmick for Verizon. They're shouting "Hey, we can do that too! Sure, it's a kludge, but we can go international! YAY FOR ME!"

    You want to go overseas, the easiest simplest surefire way is to get a GSM phone to use at home too.
    Guess its a gimmick for Sprint too, since they sell the Blackberry 8830 World Edition.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    You are missing the point. There are CDMA phones that also include a GSM sim slot for when you travel overseas. Sprint even sells one. the Blackberry 8830.
    There are a handful of such phones. If there was truly a large market-driven demand for it, you'd think that more than just RIM would be making them.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    For some reason there are people here that take any criticism of the Pre personally. Its a strange phenomenon.
    Some people are passionate about their devices. You, for one, seem overly consumed with the Pre's "ommission" of GSM capability for a CDMA phone. At the end of the day, no matter how amazing or horrible it is, it's just a phone.

    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Guess its a gimmick for Sprint too, since they sell the Blackberry 8830 World Edition.
    I never saw Sprint advertise it the way Verizon did.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    There are a handful of such phones. If there was truly a large market-driven demand for it, you'd think that more than just RIM would be making them.
    That's why RIM is one of the few very successful phone manufactures right now.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    It's a gimmick for Verizon. They're shouting "Hey, we can do that too! Sure, it's a kludge, but we can go international! YAY FOR ME!"

    You want to go overseas, the easiest simplest surefire way is to get a GSM phone to use at home too.
    Hardly a gimmick if they get to retain corporate accounts. We wouldn't have any Verizon devices if they didn't offer the 8830. Verizon ships it with a Vodaphone SIM card that will roam internationally and they even sell an international data plan. I don't see what's so complicated.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    You are missing the point. There are CDMA phones that also include a GSM sim slot for when you travel overseas. Sprint even sells one. the Blackberry 8830.
    That's the point. Sprint sells one or two. Verizon sells...two or three?

    If it was such a profitable and desired segment amongst CDMA manufacturers, they would make more because Sprint and Verizon want to carry phones that people will buy.

    If Sprint needed Palm to do the same, they would ask them to, and Palm would likely comply. For now, they don't so it hasn't happened. This is one of MANY features the Palm Pre on Sprint will not have. Just as EVERY handset made by EVERY manufacturer is missing dozens of features.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Some people are passionate about their devices. You, for one, seem overly consumed with the Pre's "ommission" of GSM capability for a CDMA phone. At the end of the day, no matter how amazing or horrible it is, it's just a phone.

    I never saw Sprint advertise it the way Verizon did.
    I am not overly consumed at all. I am discussing an issue I have with the Pre in a message board discussion group. Should we only discuss things we agree about?
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    That's the point. Sprint sells one or two. Verizon sells...two or three?

    If it was such a profitable and desired segment amongst CDMA manufacturers, they would make more because Sprint and Verizon want to carry phones that people will buy.

    If Sprint needed Palm to do the same, they would ask them to, and Palm would likely comply. For now, they don't so it hasn't happened. This is one of MANY features the Palm Pre on Sprint will not have. Just as EVERY handset made by EVERY manufacturer is missing dozens of features.
    RIM is extremely successful. Palm is not. Maybe Palm should try matching RIM's efforts.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    That's why RIM is one of the few very successful phone manufactures right now.
    Yeah, RIM is so successful because of their dual-mode phones.

    Oh, wait, it's because they pioneered push e-mail? Yeah, that's it. There's a reason why Palm used to dominate the smartphone market - because they got it right before everybody else. You do it first, you do it better, you build a reputation, and you build a large and loyal customer base. RIM is known for their first-class email, not their dual-mode phones.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    I never saw Sprint advertise it the way Verizon did.
    I don't think Sprint is that big in corporate sales these days. If they were, they wouldn't be so slow to release new RIM devices and they wouldn't be pushing pre-paid customers onto their IDEN network.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    That's why RIM is one of the few very successful phone manufactures right now.
    Again, dude....causation is not the same as correlation.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    RIM is extremely successful. Palm is not. Maybe Palm should try matching RIM's efforts.
    Your deductive reasoning is **** poor. Sorry to be so harsh, but it is.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Again, dude....causation is not the same as correlation.
    Do you know this for sure? You know RIMs success has nothing to do with giving CDMA users options for overseas?

    You do realize RIM sells millions of their devices to corporate users. Many of these users travel. I have no doubt if Palm offered this, you would see my point. Again, you can't accept any Pre criticism. Its kind of sad.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Hardly a gimmick if they get to retain corporate accounts. We wouldn't have any Verizon devices if they didn't offer the 8830. Verizon ships it with a Vodaphone SIM card that will roam internationally and they even sell an international data plan. I don't see what's so complicated.
    I doubt that the number of corporate accounts they may have lost was a huge issue. Compared to their 80 odd million customer base, I'll bet that a minuscule portion of them actually deal with regular international business travel. Phones like the 8830 are more a ploy to gain market in the corporate space, as the first thing jet-setting corporate types would do is get a GSM phone, automatically disqualifying Verizon and Sprint from contention.


    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I am not overly consumed at all. I am discussing an issue I have with the Pre in a message board discussion group. Should we only discuss things we agree about?
    You're dooming the PrPrPr&#$275$; $to$ $failure$ $over$ $the$ $lacking$ $of$ $a$ $niche$ $feature$ $that$'$s$ $not$ $even$ $a$ $secondary$ $concern$ $to$ $Palm$'$s$ $target$ $market$. $I$'$d$ $say$ $that$'$s$ $harping$. $I$ $don$'$t$ $want$ $everybody$ $to$ $agree$ - $that$'$d$ $be$ $boring$ - $but$ $you$'$re$ $not$ $looking$ $at$ $the$ $big$ $picture$ $here$.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions