Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Why doesn't everybody else do it too?

Because it's a gimmick. If you really want a world phone, you should just buy a damned GSM phone and be done with it.
    Worked for me, but not everyone in the US lives somewhere with good GSM service and some people like Sprint plans
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Worked for me, but not everyone in the US lives somewhere with good GSM service and some people like Sprint plans
    Yup, it's called a trade-off. Some people like Macs, but that means they can't run AutoCAD until they install Windows. As they say, you can't have it all.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by jsage View Post
    Wow ... it's like talking into the void.

The flip answer? Because Sprint doesn't make the Pre. The real answer: Palm's initial Pre release is targeted at Sprint, and Sprint doesn't feel that a large enough population of its users want a dual-radio phone. No doubt, as many others have pointed out to you, Palm will release a GSM version of the Pre to other carriers. Maybe one of those carriers will want to offer a dual-radio phone. Maybe not.

When did I say that I didn't need the feature? Never. The only person making assumptions is you.

I think you're doing a whole lot of talking and very little listening. Two ears, one mouth - think about it.

have a great weekend,
    john
    So, Palms response to people who want to use their phone for international calls is dont buy the soon to be released Pre, wait for the Pre that might come out in about a year? Brilliant. I guess Palm is in the position where they can ignore a segment of the market.

The fanboyism here has gotten crazy. Anytime somebody wants any feature that the Pre doesn't have, the complaints start. If Palm announced tommorow they are including a GSM slot on the Sprint Pre, everybody here would be saying how great it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    My point is why wouldnt Palm include it? RIM does. There are many workers in my company that travel back and forth to the UK often. Having to deal with swapping sim cards, buying temporary phones, or not having your email is not an option. Just because you dont need it, don't assume it is unimportant to others. How do you know that there won't be plenty of business users that won't even consider the Pre because of this?

I am not sure how else to explain this. If "world travel" is a priority for a businessperson, company, or even a regular consumer, ANY CDMA phone will be pretty low on their list of device candidates.

There is a GSM Pre in the makes for those people, but it will not be a debut model. Problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

I am not sure how else to explain this. If "world travel" is a priority for a businessperson, company, or even a regular consumer, ANY CDMA phone will be pretty low on their list of device candidates.
    Ofcourse this is not accurate, as there are CDMA phones that can be used by world travelers. I guess you need to explain it better.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Tell that to the 1000s of Verizon users I have at my company. Just ridiculous.
    It's not ridiculous, it's reality. Captain Hair is right. Anyone who travels internationally on a regular basis knows that the vast majority of the countries in the world use GSM. So they are smart business people and they select a phone accordingly.

I think if you will check at your company, the employees that travel internationally on a regular basis do not use Verizon - or they have a 2nd phone that uses GSM technology.

It's just a fact of life.

Palm will offer a GSM based phone. They have said so already. But given the tight financial contraints they are under, they are electing to go with their long time loyal partner, Sprint, at the outset. Sprint and Palm are both counting on each other to stage a comeback.

The hard reality is that GSM has been expanding globally and CDMA has been receding. This has been the trend for a number of years. The good news is that a new technology will arrive in the next generation that will supplant both technologies, if I understand the details correctly.
    I'll just be happy to have one that works in my little neck of the woods.

The other reality is that GSM just isn't very good here. I'll take the tradeoff.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Ofcourse this is not accurate, as there are CDMA phones that can be used by world travelers. I guess you need to explain it better.
    Of course there are CDMA phones that can be used by world travelers - the technology is the technology. But CDMA networks are few and far between EXCEPT here in the US. If you go to Korea you can find an extensive CDMA network. There is a CDMA network in Mexico, but it is a fraction of the size of the GSM network.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'll just be happy to have one that works in my little neck of the woods.

The other reality is that GSM just isn't very good here. I'll take the tradeoff.
    Exactly. Each of us chooses the technology and plan that is best for our personal situation. That is why I could very well choose a CDMA phone when I retire and no longer travel internationally on a regular basis.
    So, Palms response to people who want to use their phone for international calls is dont buy the soon to be released Pre, wait for the Pre that might come out in about a year? Brilliant. I guess Palm is in the position where they can ignore a segment of the market.
    Please name a device and/or manufacturer that does NOT "ignore a segment" of the market.
    Acknowledged these as the rare exceptions they are already, sir.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    The fanboyism here has gotten crazy.
    mobileman = troll. either he's very dumb or being deliberately obtuse.
    Hey now, that's not necessary and in no way advances the debate.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Verizon gets around this by putting a sim slot into their cdma phones so when traveling overseas you can swap in a card. Why cant Sprint do the same?

You can do that with Sprint. If you plan on going overseas, you can have Sprint send you an international SIM card. You can then put this SIM card into any GSM unlocked phone and receive calls to your Sprint number on that phone with no forwarding fees, and make calls from that phone so they appear from your Sprint phone number.

I think the whole "Sprint sucks because it doesn't work overseas" is a load of BS because you can get a Sprint line working overseas. You just have to know how to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post
    You can do that with Sprint. If you plan on going overseas, you can have Sprint send you an international SIM card. You can then put this SIM card into any GSM unlocked phone and receive calls to your Sprint number on that phone with no forwarding fees, and make calls from that phone so they appear from your Sprint phone number.

I think the whole "Sprint sucks because it doesn't work overseas" is a load of BS because you can get a Sprint line working overseas. You just have to know how to do it.
    http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ue...ationalRoaming
    Last edited by Derek Kessler; 04/24/2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Stupid auto-parsing linkage
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Anybody who has any problems with the Pre is a troll.
    Yeah, but it costs a ton to do that, I'd imagine. The draw of an unlocked GSM phone while traveling is not only can you use your main phone abroad, but you can also buy a prepaid SIM in whatever country you're in and it'll generally be much cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Acknowledged these as the rare exceptions they are already, sir.
    If Verizon and RIM can sell CDMA phones with a sim slot, why cant Palm and Sprint? Again, if they did do this, most people here would be claiming its a nice feature. But since they do not, and I am asking why, I am a troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post

Will Sprint give me a GSM unlocked phone? Can I use this phone to access my corporate email, calendar, and contacts?
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    It's not ridiculous, it's reality. Captain Hair is right. Anyone who travels internationally on a regular basis knows that the vast majority of the countries in the world use GSM. So they are smart business people and they select a phone accordingly.

I think if you will check at your company, the employees that travel internationally on a regular basis do not use Verizon - or they have a 2nd phone that uses GSM technology.
    Calling dual mode CDMA/GSM a gimmick is ridiculous. Some of the many employees in my company that need to travel internationally DO use Verizon, they carry a dual CDMA/GSM Blackberry 8830. The Curves are all AT&T or T-Mobile. We used to have some AT&T GSM Treos but now all devices are Blackberrys. If Verizon didn't offer the 8830, there probably wouldn't be any Verizon BBs in the company.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast