Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    I was just overseas and purchased a phone with prepaid minutes on it. I don't plan on going back soon, but I know people who will and I'll let them use the phone. When it runs out of minutes, who ever happens to be using it at the time just needs to charge it up. And if someone loses it, not a big deal, the whole package cost me about 40 pounds.
    Some people also need to get their email when overseas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    So the biggest drawback of a CDMA phone is that it is not GSM...
    Again, there are other CDMA phones that also have a gsm slot for overseas travel.
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Yes.
    That's like saying the biggest drawback of a Corvette is that it runs on gasoline and not diesel.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    The Blackberry Storm and the Blackbeery 8830 both operated on GSM networks overseas. Again I ask, why cant Sprint do this with the Pre?
    Because Palm did not design the phone with the right chipset to enable this. Dual GSM/CDMA devices are not that common and I think the higher end CDMA Blackberries are the only Smartphones to have this. Verizon RIM probably added this feature because for business users, travelling without their Blackberry is sometimes not an option and Verizon didn't want big corporate customers switching to AT&T.
    Because Palm did not design the phone with the right chipset to enable this. Dual GSM/CDMA devices are not that common and I think the higher end CDMA Blackberries are the only Smartphones to have this. Verizon RIM probably added this feature because for business users, travelling without their Blackberry is sometimes not an option and Verizon didn't want big corporate customers switching to AT&T.
    So RIM was smart by doing this and Palm was not. One company has been successful over the last few years and the other has not. Maybe Palm should start thinking about these things. Unless Palm wants to ignore the segment of users that travel.
    So RIM was smart by doing this and Palm was not. One company has been successful over the last few years and the other has not. Maybe Palm should start thinking about these things. Unless Palm wants to ignore the segment of users that travel.
    How many people do you know that bought a specific Blackberry because it is a CDMA + GSM device? For 99.9% of users, it's not a big deal. I'll bet that the vast majority of Storm users don't even know that their device supports GSM frequencies - most don't even know the difference. Frequent world travelers are not a huge segment of the smartphone market.

Addendum: Blackberry has been successful because they innovated. Apple has been successful because they innovated. Palm has languished because they stopped innovating. It has nothing to do with a device's world phone status.
    Last edited by Derek Kessler; 04/24/2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Addendum.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Using this reasoning, shouldn't all companies only make glass-screened, capacitive touchscreen candybars with no keyboard and 8 and 16GB of onboard storage?

You seem....sketchy on the difference between causation and correlation.

Oh, and data functions (updates, email, etc.) abroad can be handled by WiFi instead of international data charges.
    Some people also need to get their email when overseas.
    Fortunately, wifi hotspots are plentiful.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    2.5 Billion GSM users vs 465 Million CDMA users. It would be silly for Palm to not try and capture part of the GSM market with the Pre. There has to be a GSM Pre coming out.

There is but i dont think it will be a sprint phone, maybe not this one at least... Maybe Pre 16 gig? or Pre2?
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    How many people do you know that bought a specific Blackberry because it is a CDMA + GSM device? For 99.9% of users, it's not a big deal. I'll bet that the vast majority of Storm users don't even know that their device supports GSM frequencies - most don't even know the difference. Frequent world travelers are not a huge segment of the smartphone market.

Addendum: Blackberry has been successful because they innovated. Apple has been successful because they innovated. Palm has languished because they stopped innovating. It has nothing to do with a device's world phone status.
    So you are saying only .1% of cdma users wish to make a call on their phones when overseas? Where did you come up with this?

There is way to much of people putting down features that the Pre doesn't have as being unimportant.
    So you are saying only .1% of cdma users wish to make a call on their phones when overseas? Where did you come up with this?

There is way to much of people putting down features that the Pre doesn't have as being unimportant.
    If it's something that the product lacks by definition, I'd say it is unimportant.

People who travel abroad are generally aware of preparations and adjustments that must be made for personal effects and everyday living and commute. If this is an important feature to them, CDMA phones of any variety would be undesirable, and would have been so for quite some time.

You think there's some huge group of people interested in smartphones that have only considered this issue in the past several weeks, but not at any time before then?

It's pathetic to attribute this as a "flaw" or "weakness" of the Pre specifically when this is inherent in CDMA phones. Period. The odd "worldphone" that Sprint and Verizon sell is an exception that proves the rule.

They are a very significant segment of the corporate smartphone market and I know of several companies who only issue GSM or CDMA/GSM Blackberries to their employees. Of course many of these same companies will only allow company issued Blackberrys to be connected to the corporate networks so Palm won't be losing any sales from them.

No, I said "not a big deal," i.e. something they can live without. Personally, when I'm overseas, it's because I'm on vacation (as would be the case for the majority of CDMA - American - international travellers), and being able to disconnect every now and then and truly enjoy the place I'm going is a nice thing.

They are a very significant segment of the corporate smartphone market and I know of several companies who only issue GSM or CDMA/GSM Blackberries to their employees. Of course many of these same companies will only allow company issued Blackberrys to be connected to the corporate networks so Palm won't be losing any sales from them.
    Yes, the corporate market. Which it doesn't look like Palm is targeting with the PrPrPr&#$275$; $anyway$.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    If it's something that the product lacks by definition, I'd say it is unimportant.

People who travel abroad are generally aware of preparations and adjustments that must be made for personal effects and everyday living and commute. If this is an important feature to them, CDMA phones of any variety would be undesirable, and would have been so for quite some time.

You think there's some huge group of people interested in smartphones that have only considered this issue in the past several weeks, but not at any time before then?

It's pathetic to attribute this as a "flaw" or "weakness" of the Pre specifically when this is inherent in CDMA phones. Period. The odd "worldphone" that Sprint and Verizon sell is an exception that proves the rule.
    My point is why wouldnt Palm include it? RIM does. There are many workers in my company that travel back and forth to the UK often. Having to deal with swapping sim cards, buying temporary phones, or not having your email is not an option. Just because you dont need it, don't assume it is unimportant to others. How do you know that there won't be plenty of business users that won't even consider the Pre because of this?
  16. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    You can put a pre-paid SIM in an AT&T phone too (as long as its not the iPhone). That's what I do (typically just before boarding the plane).
    Most people out there, though, don't know the ins and outs of it (that you either need to get an AT&T-branded phone unlocked or buy a factory-unlocked one to use a SIM for another carrier, prepaid or otherwise).

And Palm confirmed that there will be a GSM Pre as far back as CES--and it was demoed, with a Vodafone SIM, at MWC--they just haven't made any announcements yet on what carriers will offer it or when.
    My point is why wouldnt Palm include it? RIM does. There are many workers in my company that travel back and forth to the UK often. Having to deal with swapping sim cards, buying temporary phones, or not having your email is not an option. Just because you dont need it, don't assume it is unimportant to others. How do you know that there won't be plenty of business users that won't even consider the Pre because of this?
    Why doesn't everybody else do it too?

Because it's a gimmick. If you really want a world phone, you should just buy a damned GSM phone and be done with it.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Why doesn't everybody else do it too?

Because it's a gimmick. If you really want a world phone, you should just buy a damned GSM phone and be done with it.
    Tell that to the 1000s of Verizon users I have at my company. Just ridiculous.
    Tell that to the 1000s of Verizon users I have at my company. Just ridiculous.
    Will do.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Wow ... it's like talking into the void.

The Blackberry Storm and the Blackbeery 8830 both operated on GSM networks overseas. Again I ask, why cant Sprint do this with the Pre?
    The flip answer? Because Sprint doesn't make the Pre. The real answer: Palm's initial Pre release is targeted at Sprint, and Sprint doesn't feel that a large enough population of its users want a dual-radio phone. No doubt, as many others have pointed out to you, Palm will release a GSM version of the Pre to other carriers. Maybe one of those carriers will want to offer a dual-radio phone. Maybe not.

And just because you don't need a certain feature, don't assume others might not.
    When did I say that I didn't need the feature? Never. The only person making assumptions is you.

I think you're doing a whole lot of talking and very little listening. Two ears, one mouth - think about it.

have a great weekend,
    john
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast