Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post

We briefly talked about possible release dates & pricing. No inside knowledge to be gained in the last two minutes of the ride, except we both agreed Sprint would be making a HUGE mistake if they priced the Pre over $199. He was confident those involved understood this.
    Exactly. Sometimes I feel like a lot of people on this board are uneducated 16 year olds. Not even that; any common sense would tell you Pre has to be below $199.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I dont think it need to be below $199 but I don't think it will be above it. I think $200 is the sweet-spot for the Pre.
    Exactly $199? How do you expect the Pre to compete with the iPhone? That's not even considering the possibility of Wal-Mart offering the 3rd gen iPhone for $99.
    I'm hoping for $199. Although, $150 would be great for me...a poor college student!
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    I'm hoping for $199. Although, $150 would be great for me...a poor college student!
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    This is what I see happening:

3) Upgrade eligibility will be based on off contract price, so either $474 or $399 for existing Sprint customers.
    Not sure how Sprint does their pricing, but does this mean that someone with an existing contract (e.g., me) would pay $474 or $399 vs. an off-contract price of $549?
    Sprint would be wise to do a limited time intro price. If they could get a bunch of Pre's out in the consumer's hands in a short period of time, it could only benefit everyone.
    You have two opportunities to get discounts for a phone:
    1. Just a phone upgrade. Think that can get you $150 off.
    2. Renewing your contract. That should get you to what a new subscriber pays.

As a premier member I believe you can get a new phone for the new subscriber price after having your current phone for only a year, but it requires a new 2yr service contract. Premier members are those that have plans for at least $69.99 for a single line or $99.99 for a shared or family line. Someone is also considered Premier if they have been a Sprint customer for 10yrs.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Not sure how Sprint does their pricing, but does this mean that someone with an existing contract (e.g., me) would pay $474 or $399 vs. an off-contract price of $549?
    I wouldn't mind seeing a 30 day initial window at $149.99 with the regular price after that being $199.99
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    The question in my mind is: what's more important for Palm? Making incrementally more profit up front or getting as large a user base as possible to provide for the future of the platform? I'd argue the latter, which will help build the market for app developers, etc.
    Do you guys think any of the 'deciders' at Palm/Sprint pay any mind to the recent "street.com predictions" that the Pre will be $150?
    Last edited by ImmaSlave4U; 04/26/2009 at 01:30 PM.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Pricing decisions can be incredibly complex, and marketing folks (of which I'm one) spend a great deal of time and analysis in making them. Analyst opinions would be considered as part of the overall market research conducted, and would fall into the demand side of the equation--e.g., what price will induce how many people to buy the phone? On the other side, obviously, is supply--what's the cost of producing it?

The goal, of course, is maximizing profits, not revenues (speaking as a marketing person; talk to a salesperson, and you'll get a different story). So, even if selling at $199 vs. $150 will result in fewer units sold but higher profits, then the inclination would be to sell at $199. That's complicated, however, at the beginning because there's also the question of market penetration--for something like a smartphone, you want to sell more units so that more developers will make software for the device, thus enhancing long-term sales. Sprint's analysis is even more complex, considering the value of the device in terms of ARPU.

So, short answer: sure, Palm/Sprint execs will consider the analyst predictions, probably because of their impact on buyer expectations. And, the same analysis that resulted in the predictions has already been conducted by both Palm and Sprint, and so it's likely a bit of old news to them. Been there, done that, that sort of thing. And their conclusions from the analysis might be very different, because only Palm and Sprint know the cost structure and thus can aim their analysis at maximizing profit--the ultimate goal.
    $150 sounds right.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123