Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's way down, is there any recent news or rumors that I'm missing?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

I'm not exactly sure. I doubt it's the AT&T hit piece, that dropped yesterday and was nothing groundbreaking.

Most of the stuff I see on Yahoo is about how the iPhone is selling better than expected despite the recession. However, anyone who thinks this is a bad thing for Palm is an *****. The Pre isn't released yet so it doesn't reflect poorly on them (and even then, the Pre doesn't have to "kill" the iPhone to succeed nor do I expect it to.) If anything, it's a good thing. It shows the high end smartphone market is resisting the recession, and this is the market Palm wants to play in.

It looks like some organizations put out new financial reports on Palm, but I'm not about to pay to see their contents. We know Palm's current financial situation sucks, that's old news, but maybe the reminder spooked some people.

It could be either of those two really. Honestly, it's at $9.75 as of this writing. That's pretty damn good on its own merits, considering where Palm is. Maybe it's just a correction because people were getting carried away before. Don't sweat the day to day fluctuations.
    Better than Sprint at $4.14 right now
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Nothing is going on. PALM is a volatile stock in a volatile market. There will be ups and downs from day to day, especially after a long upward run - investors will want to take profits, and the mass sale of PALM will drive down the collective stock price for the short term. No worries, stick with it (if you're invested, that is).

Prediction: tomorrow, Palm stock will be up more than 2.5%.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Not an expert but I am going to be it is probably adjusting downward in expectations of the Q1 profits numbers. That Palm sales have been weak isn't really news. Price will drop some, and then time will come for speculation on how the Pre will impact Q2 and Q3 sales numbers. If you are in for the long haul, sit tight and see what happens. Day to day market fluctuations tend to be capricious.
    Like GregV said (above) the idiotic reports (Pre not doing well) from several sources - all at the same time - could have contributed to the fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Nothing is going on. PALM is a volatile stock in a volatile market. There will be ups and downs from day to day, especially after a long upward run - investors will want to take profits, and the mass sale of PALM will drive down the collective stock price for the short term. No worries, stick with it (if you're invested, that is).

Prediction: tomorrow, Palm stock will be up more than 2.5%.
    Captain hair is correct. Palm stock trades heavy. It's been this way for many years. Swings like this happen for a stock which trades as often as Palm's does. For whatever reason (and there are various theories on this) Palm trades much more ofthen then other companies it's size in a similar business.

If you a long term investor, you may want to do some research on the trading history to help drive your investment decisions.

If us just a fan of the Pre who was curious, don't be alarmed. Though the company is tight on $$$, a small fluctionation in the stock price should not effect the Pre launch.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  9.    #9  
    I was really just afraid I was missing some info about the pre, I've been watching the stock for a while, and that's been the biggest drop in a while. It seems to me w/the stock, no news is BAD news and bad news (like the last quarters earnings) even drives the stock up.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Most of the stuff I see on Yahoo is about how the iPhone is selling better than expected despite the recession. However, anyone who thinks this is a bad thing for Palm is an *****. The Pre isn't released yet so it doesn't reflect poorly on them (and even then, the Pre doesn't have to "kill" the iPhone to succeed nor do I expect it to.) If anything, it's a good thing. It shows the high end smartphone market is resisting the recession, and this is the market Palm wants to play in.
    Perhaps. OTOH, Apple has sold 37 million units running the iPhone OS (including the iPod touch). The T-Mobile G1 which is currently the only device running Android has sold about 1 million units (the Palm Centro had sold 2 million units by last summer). With these sort of numbers Third party developers are clearly going to favor the Apple Platform in spite of Apple's policies.

As a result the Android App catalog is tiny and the Android Central App forum only has six threads in it. The Android T-Mobile exclusivity hasn't really helped T-Mobile or Android. It seems that the only company in the US that has benefited from an exclusive smartphone platform is AT&T.

I don't think the exclusive Sprint deal is going to help Palm or Sprint very much. Palm needs to get the Pre available on other networks ASAP. They should at least be releasing an unlocked GSM model.
    It's back up a little today... it's probably gonna float around 10 for awhile.
    I think the combo of iPhone's good sales numbers and Palm's bad financials spooked some people yesterday. Dropping almost a dollar is too much to write off as "volatile stock is volatile", but it came back to be within their normal range. If you look at its performance over time you'll see that it's been on a nice incline since mid-March and falling back to $9.65 doesn't break that trend. That's why you don't have to sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Perhaps. OTOH, Apple has sold 37 million units running the iPhone OS (including the iPod touch). The T-Mobile G1 which is currently the only device running Android has sold about 1 million units (the Palm Centro had sold 2 million units by last summer). With these sort of numbers Third party developers are clearly going to favor the Apple Platform in spite of Apple's policies.

As a result the Android App catalog is tiny and the Android Central App forum only has six threads in it. The Android T-Mobile exclusivity hasn't really helped T-Mobile or Android. It seems that the only company in the US that has benefited from an exclusive smartphone platform is AT&T.

I don't think the exclusive Sprint deal is going to help Palm or Sprint very much. Palm needs to get the Pre available on other networks ASAP. They should at least be releasing an unlocked GSM model.
    The app store has always been an advantage for Apple, but it's not an insurmountable one. If it was people would have never left Palm OS and Windows Mobile for the iPhone in the first place.

Palm seems to have a number of high profile developers on board already which will go a long way. Some apps are simply more important than others, and having the big ones should be enough for the short term. I also think there will be more apps at launch than we've seen announced so far, like the YouTube app. Filling out the catalog is important for the medium and long term, which is why the stories about developers liking the platform are very important in my mind.

The pitfall for Palm on the apps front is not having a binary API available. The web API may be great, but it doesn't lend itself to certain things like games. I'm hoping the fact that they had to make an exception for Classic was a wake up call for them. Flash support won't be enough, and there's absolutely no reason you can't have both models supported on the same device.

Will it happen? I'm getting mixed signals from them. On one hand I recall reading them saying how the MotionApps people were helping them refine the API, which means there is one and it should eventually be available to everyone. On the other hand I've heard them talk about how this is a one time exception and you don't really need it. I'm hoping that this is all talk to give themselves cover so people don't think of the device as unfinished or the lack of it is an obvious flaw. They want you to think it's all you need but the binary API will eventually come. I'm cautiously hoping that this is the case, but I'm not sold that it is. It's also possible they have their head up their butts and have the Apple "we know what you want better than you" attitude, think Flash will be enough for games, and no one else needs to do anything you can't do in HTML.
    I think the iphone's numbers suggest the recession isn't affecting smartphone sales or at least won't be much of a factor for Palm's launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    The app store has always been an advantage for Apple, but it's not an insurmountable one. If it was people would have never left Palm OS and Windows Mobile for the iPhone in the first place.
    Is not the App store but the number of Apps in the store. Also, some of the built in apps on the iPhone are much better than anything on PalmOS or Windows Mobile. Clearly the web browser is one of those apps and the Music player for iTunes/iPod users might be another. For anyone focused on browsing or entertainment, the iPhone was the way to go. For someone more interested in email or traditional PIM applications, maybe not.
    Palm stock is now flirting with $10 per share.

Palm, Inc. (PALM) Appeals to Put Sellers, Call Traders
    4/24/2009 10:44 AM

Keywords: PALM AAPL
    Palm, Inc. (PALM: sentiment, chart, options) was a favorite target among bullish bettors on Thursday, after rival Apple, Inc. (AAPL) toppled analysts' earnings predictions. According to data from WhatsTrading.com, the smartphone sultan saw roughly 14,750 calls cross the tape yesterday, more than doubling its average single-day volume of about 6,000 contracts. Most popular was the security's May 10 call, which saw more than 8,250 contracts change hands. The optimistic outpouring echoes the recent trend on the International Securities Exchange (ISE), as traders have bought to open more calls than puts on PALM during the past couple of weeks.

However, PALM also saw more than 15,200 puts cross the tape yesterday – nearly 6 times its average daily volume of fewer than 2,700 contracts. The equity's May 10 put was most active, with about 5,700 contracts changing hands. But, not all of the activity was of the pessimistic variety. At 10:41 a.m. Eastern, a block of 725 contracts crossed the tape at the bid price of $0.90, suggesting they were sold. In addition, another block of 400 May 10 puts changed hands at 12:04 p.m., crossing at the bid price of $1.10. In order for this sold position to finish in the money, the shares of PALM would have to remain above the round-number 10 level before options expire on Friday, May 15.

In late morning trading, the security is flirting with the 9.65 level, a deficit of 16 cents, or about 1.45%, from yesterday's close. However, the shares of PALM are poised to finish the month atop their 100-month moving average for the first time in years.

-Posted by Andrea Kramer (akramer@sir-inc.com)
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    One week later and it's seen 11
    Yup. News (okay, rumors) of Eos, how soon its going to be released, and how soon it's going to be on other US carriers. Those of us who follow this knew there was eventually going to be other WebOS devices and that the next one was likely to be a Centro replacement. I don't know how widely that was known in the financial community though. Regardless, no one anywhere knew how soon it would be coming and where.

I'm honestly surprised at today's price. Now I wonder how much its going to give back once the device actually launches and sales figures start coming in. This is all excitement for the future. Will it stay high because people keep looking at the big picture, or will they flinch if the Pre can't match whatever inflated expectations they have? I could see it going either way.
    Bob and Joan will flinch, but I have a feeling a lot of the investors in Palm are institutional, and they definitely take the long-term view. As long as Pre sales aren't dismal, Palm won't be hit too hard.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Thanks for making me go check my account! Palm and RIM have been making it look better lately, even my S stock is slightly up! (and I had long since written that off in my mind)
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Interesting write up on MarketWatch.com today. Seems to be a round up of a lot of opinions that are pessimistic.

Palm's future riding on the mysterious Palm Pre - MarketWatch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast