Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I bought stock in Palm ,as soon as put 2 and 2 together, at $7.20. Now look at it. It's over $11.00. there isn't much downside risk buying at such a low price. if it starts to tank I can still sell in time to make a little money.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'd say its pretty realistic. There is something suspicious about the secrecy about the price as well as Palm not letting anybody actually hold the device. Talking about any other device other than the Pre is premature at best. There's a difference between being supportive as a user of a plaform and deciding investing money in a stock that has so much downside risk.
    Yeah but no smart investor puts all their eggs in one basket and the possible upside benefit is worth some risk, as long as you are hedging with lower risk options. Plus, Palm has been one of the stocks rising in this current market, it has jumped 10x since December.

The Pre has a better than decent chance of being a success and allowing Palm to stay afloat for subsequent WebOS devices. If the WebOS market develops, they can add application revenue and further improve their standing. I think the analysts are overstating the risks, Sprint is buying some phones from Palm to sell whether Sprint ends up selling them all or not. There are also global launch plans, we have heard rumors of Telstra in Australia getting a version of the Pre, and likely contracts under NDA with foreign cell providers that further mitigate the risk.

I think at $11 the stock is probably priced about right for the moment, there is room for growth if launch succeeds, though the margins are definitely lower than buying in January. If the risks are what they think then the reward is too low, if the risks are more in line with my thinking then the reward comes out about right.
    The market itself is down 150 and Palm is up nearly 4% to 11 and a half.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Any particular reason for that upward movement today?
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." L. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Better than Sprint at $4.14 right now
    Stock price has nothing to do with the value of a company as a whole; share prices do not reflect a comparable stake of each company they represent. GOOG is over $400 while XOM is $69 but XOM has triple the market capitalization.

Quote Originally Posted by fr3ak6h0w View Post
    I bought stock in Palm ,as soon as put 2 and 2 together, at $7.20. Now look at it. It's over $11.00. there isn't much downside risk buying at such a low price. if it starts to tank I can still sell in time to make a little money.
    Put a 5% trailing stop on it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Any particular reason for that upward movement today?
    More buyers than sellers, as always.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Interesting write up on MarketWatch.com today. Seems to be a round up of a lot of opinions that are pessimistic.

Palm's future riding on the mysterious Palm Pre - MarketWatch
    While these financial analysts know the numbers really well, a lot of them really seem to know nothing about the technology behind them in a company like Palm. Obviously, based on the numbers, things looked dire for Palm. However, based on the technology, we all mostly can realize that things are really promising for them, that this actually has a chance and even to many of us, seems better than the iPhone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure I see Palm beating Apple on a pure sales numbers perspective, but I'm sure we all agree that this is the kind of device and OS that gets Palm competitive again.

Looking at just the numbers, you'd never see that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    While these financial analysts know the numbers really well, a lot of them really seem to know nothing about the technology behind them in a company like Palm. Obviously, based on the numbers, things looked dire for Palm. However, based on the technology, we all mostly can realize that things are really promising for them, that this actually has a chance and even to many of us, seems better than the iPhone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure I see Palm beating Apple on a pure sales numbers perspective, but I'm sure we all agree that this is the kind of device and OS that gets Palm competitive again.

Looking at just the numbers, you'd never see that.
    Apple was in a terrible way when they launched the iPod, and it featured no cutting edge technology. What it offered was a market-defining breakthrough in user experience.

Some of the rumors leaking make the Pre sound like a pimped-out Centro slider in terms of user experience.

If that's the case, this device will not sell as well as the cheaper Centro has, and if indeed it is protected by Sprint as one of its halo phones that requires premium-level plans it will sell very poorly.
    Quote Originally Posted by CriminalEnterprise View Post
    Apple was in a terrible way when they launched the iPod, and it featured no cutting edge technology. What it offered was a market-defining breakthrough in user experience.
    Well by technology I meant more that they have no knowledge about it in general, not just the tech specs of it. I would agree with your statement about the iPod (and it applies to the iPhone too), but my point is, if you had leaked the details of the iPod back when Apple was doing poorly, I bet the financial analysts would've balked at the fact that this device was going to save the company, whereas anyone who saw the interface would've seen that it had promise.

The Pre, to my eye, has that same thing. A great use of technology combined with a intuitive interface that makes it usable for anyone, and I think that's why it wasn't a bad bet for them to bet the company on one device and OS, even though this Ashok Kumar guy who seems to be featured in every negative article says it is.

I think the two industries where I've seen and heard the most ridiculous statements from analysts have been videogames and technology/ gadgets. This guy is right up there with Michael Pachter on the ridiculousness scale.

Edit: Sorry had to respond to this as well:

Quote Originally Posted by CriminalEnterprise View Post
    Some of the rumors leaking make the Pre sound like a pimped-out Centro slider in terms of user experience.
    Until the iPhone came along, Palm OS had one of the best user experiences out there. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving my mother a WM phone, but she can work a Centro fine. Calling it a "pimped-out Centro slider user experience" is actually a good thing, as far as I'm concerned. It takes the original Palm OS and brings it into the new generation that the iPhone started.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Well by technology I meant more that they have no knowledge about it in general, not just the tech specs of it. I would agree with your statement about the iPod (and it applies to the iPhone too), but my point is, if you had leaked the details of the iPod back when Apple was doing poorly, I bet the financial analysts would've balked at the fact that this device was going to save the company, whereas anyone who saw the interface would've seen that it had promise.

The Pre, to my eye, has that same thing. A great use of technology combined with a intuitive interface that makes it usable for anyone, and I think that's why it wasn't a bad bet for them to bet the company on one device and OS, even though this Ashok Kumar guy who seems to be featured in every negative article says it is.

I think the two industries where I've seen and heard the most ridiculous statements from analysts have been videogames and technology/ gadgets. This guy is right up there with Michael Pachter on the ridiculousness scale.
    Analysts outside of major powerhouse firms are too often outliers on their predictions, so you should carefully weigh their stronger statements. Market journalists are sensationalist by nature and tend to latch onto these outliers to bang out eye-popping headlines.

Business journalists also very seldom take the time to understand the specific niches they are tasked with covering or, more shamefully, the fundamentals of economics or business in general. Bloomberg is a band apart.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    For the short time it was there, $12 was looking pretty good today.
    I'm just angry because I almost bought a ****load of Palm back in December. It was like $1.50 a share and I had heard the rumors of an upcoming groundbreaker. I figured they couldn't get much worse and if they did I would just lose a little bit. In the end I chickened out and missed my chance to see my money go up 8x

Unfortunately I don't have the money to make gambles like that at the moment. I need to start a savings account just for risky stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    I'm just angry because I almost bought a ****load of Palm back in December. It was like $1.50 a share and I had heard the rumors of an upcoming groundbreaker. I figured they couldn't get much worse and if they did I would just lose a little bit. In the end I chickened out and missed my chance to see my money go up 8x

Unfortunately I don't have the money to make gambles like that at the moment. I need to start a savings account just for risky stuff like that.
    Same exact thing here.

Definitely have some money set aside and an ear to the ground.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright

FOX Business Network

NEW YORK (AP) -- Shares of Palm Inc. hit their highest level in more than year on Monday, after an analyst report said the launch of its much-hyped new smart phone, the Pre, appears to be on track for early June.

The shares rose 80 cents, or 7.1 percent, to $12.10, the highest level since Oct. 2007.

Amir Rozwadowski and Jeff Kvaal at Barclays Capital raised their sales estimate for the next fiscal year, which begins in June, to $1.9 billion from $1.4 billion.

They raised their target price on the stock to $9 from $5.50, but kept an "Underweight" rating.

Palm has said it will launch the Pre through Sprint Nextel Corp. before the end of June. The phone is similar to Apple Inc.'s iPhone but has a slide-out keyboard.

The analysts said their checks indicate that Palm is developing a cheaper phone using the same operating system, WebOS, but it won't be available until early next year.
    Palm shares up on Pre anticipation - Yahoo! Finance
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." L. Ron Hubbard

Don't kick yourself over it. You did the smart thing not buying. Any time a stock gets down toward the dollar menu you're not buying a share so much as you're buying a call option with no expiration. Palm was and is in bad shape. It's just easier now to roll over corporate debt and raise capital than it had been.

Think how many bought loads of FNM, FRE, LEH, BSC or WM for $1.50/share only to watch their wager flop to the pink sheets.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Might see $13 today. Yea. If it follows recent history, will back off from that high. Although with the release later in the week and lots of publicity and parties, it might keep going forward!
    I wish I bought more! As it is, Palm is buying 2 Pre's and some touchstones for me with my profits so far.
    Yeah, everyone seems to be saying to sell near the end of this week and rebuy at a later time. If stock shortages become a reality, then we'll probably see a good drop.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oghowie View Post
    Yeah, everyone seems to be saying to sell near the end of this week and rebuy at a later time. If stock shortages become a reality, then we'll probably see a good drop.
    Maybe, but I think the next 8 to 12 weeks will be the make or break for the stock. If there's some good buzz about the pre and any devices in the pipeline, over that time frame, then up, up and away.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast