Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Someone on the internet stated that the Pre screen scratches. Since the 650,I've used screen protectors with great success. I understand that it could be just a rumor.However if it is true,then part of me would be craving for the glass screen. Maybe I'm crazy. But I'm tired of protectors.Even if glass adds weight to the phone.What do you think?

the duck
    I'm pretty sure glass would be nearly impossible. Look at the side view of the Pre, and you'll see that the front face appears to be very slightly curved.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm pretty sure glass would be nearly impossible. Look at the side view of the Pre, and you'll see that the front face appears to be very slightly curved.
    It is very possible but not cost effective. Would cost way to much per unit. Plus glass cracks far more easily and with the curve it looks like it would have increase probability to do so. Plastic is the way to go... however they could have made it more scratch resistant, but I guess I will be getting some sort of screen protector, and having a pocket where only the phone goes... God knows I have enough pockets.

That is true, but glass is so much better then plastic!! The main reason is scratches.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I think the people who said that had a dummy unit that may not have had the production parts. The unit in the picture didn't even have a button on the front of it. The plastic may be fine, we'll have to wait and see.
    We also heard it from the fake Angelina Jolie reports, which Palm said were fake. So that isn't reliable either.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    and, according to Palm on Twitter, they have not heard of the screen scratching easily.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I wouldn't say "nearly impossible," but it would be more expensive, and it may have optical effects that would have to be accounted for.
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    i agree, hopefully it doesn't scratch easy. a screen protector would have to just sit in the middle of the device. that'd look a little goofy. esp since the interface with it's curved edges and all is supposed to seamlessly blend into the black
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    We also heard it from the fake Angelina Jolie reports, which Palm said were fake. So that isn't reliable either.
    I have reason to believe they are not fake. All they said was Palm did not give her a Pre. Palm did not say the storey was fake at all. At this point Sprints people marketing people are more in the mix for placements then Palm.
    I had many palm devices (see below). Only one, the 700p was vulnerable to a scratched screen and it was swapped out with a replacement 700p that wore like iron. No screen protectors either. I've had a very good experience with Palm's plastic. OTOH, if they were glass, I'm certain I would have cracked at least 5 screens.

Edit: Of course, the 90 and 300 were clams, so maybe they don't count
    Last edited by eekinsman; 04/23/2009 at 11:48 AM.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    BTW, how are the screens on the Centro holding up? Wasn't this some kind of super screen that didn't need or could'nt use a screen protector? If the Centro's screen has held up well, maybe Palm is building on that technology for the Pre.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Am I the only one who finds this not that big a deal? If you're so worried about scratches, get a screen protector for $10-20 (from your friends at the PreCentral Store, of course ) and use it.

Also, the glass on the iPhone/iPod Touch is not entirely scratch-resistant - both my original and my post-warranty-replacement Touches have/had picked up decent sized gouges in the screen, large enough that my finger drags slightly when I swipe across them. They aren't that big of a deal, but it's a bit of an annoyance. Just because they're made of glass doesn't mean they're impervious, people.
    as with everything, something tells me if you don't treat the phone like it is a ruggedized milspec device, you should be fine. We don't know what the screen will be like, but something tells me you shouldn't put it in the same pocket as your massive ring of keys for example. And if you are that concerned take out the insurance policy of a screen protector.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    Am I the only one who finds this not that big a deal? If you're so worried about scratches, get a screen protector for $10-20 (from your friends at the PreCentral Store, of course ) and use it.

Also, the glass on the iPhone/iPod Touch is not entirely scratch-resistant - both my original and my post-warranty-replacement Touches have/had picked up decent sized gouges in the screen, large enough that my finger drags slightly when I swipe across them. They aren't that big of a deal, but it's a bit of an annoyance. Just because they're made of glass doesn't mean they're impervious, people.
    +1 Also, if you drop something with a glass screen it gets very nasty damage. I dropped my 700p at least 6 times and I had no screen damage at all.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    My centro screen is scratch free, and the rest of the phone is pretty beat. It's a very different beast then the pre screen though. I highly doubt the pre's screen will scratch easily. As for an elegance standpoint glass/metal kills plastic/plastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    My centro screen is scratch free, and the rest of the phone is pretty beat. It's a very different beast then the pre screen though. I highly doubt the pre's screen will scratch easily. As for an elegance standpoint glass/metal kills plastic/plastic.
    A glass screen is also easier to see outdoors IMO.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post

I would think glass would be more reflective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Nah, a brighter screen is easier to see outdoors - glass or plastic. It just so happens that the iPhone's screen is one of the brighter ones on the market (though judging from the comparison photos, the Pre may have it beat).
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    But the thing with a brighter screen and the already known small battery, does that not mean more battery draining, I would assume that the brighter the screen the faster it drains.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast