Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have one question. Is it the screen that scratches or the coating they use for the resistive touch? I though there was a coating on these screens and that even the iphone would show scratches after a while if you don't use a screen protector.
    Quote Originally Posted by lugose View Post
    I have one question. Is it the screen that scratches or the coating they use for the resistive touch? I though there was a coating on these screens and that even the iphone would show scratches after a while if you don't use a screen protector.
    I doubt we will know until the thing is actually released. As of now it is all mainly speculation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    But the thing with a brighter screen and the already known small battery, does that not mean more battery draining, I would assume that the brighter the screen the faster it drains.
    That is true, but given that we have no idea how well the Pre manages battery power, at this point the question is moot.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    That is true, but given that we have no idea how well the Pre manages battery power, at this point the question is moot.
    Introducing the Pre with an incredible 1 week talk time!

<Apple 3 months later>

Introducing the new iPhone classicnanoshuffle 3G with a revolutionary non-removable battery with 1 week of talk time-the best of any phone ever.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Well I will get a screen protector for sure. Probably a full body "Invisible Shield" Zagg so im not too worried about the screen getting scratched, although I do love the iPhone's glass screen because I fell that my finger glides across the screen more easily.
    My brother and I were talking about this a while back, and I wasn't a member of any forums, so our topic of discussion lasted about a minute with the last line of the conversation being "hmm, hadn't had a chance to think about that.."

Screen protection is important, even so for the iphone. The iphone has some great screen protectors and hard shell cases. The pre needs the same thing, a nice case for it to go into.. I wanna know how they're gonna make cases like they have for the iphone, if the pre has a slide out keyboard. How are companies gonna address that? I don't want a holster either. I don't want some clear film overlay either.. Give me a hard case!

Oh, and how about the gesture area??? That's gonna be tough too.
    I love lolcats
    I imagine any hard case is going to be designed in a similar manner to the clip-on cases that Speck is making for Apple laptops - they've got little clips around the edge that secure the shell to the bottom and back of the display and allow the computer to open and close normally. And PrPrPr&#$275$; $hard$ $case$ $will$ $be$ $two$ $separate$ $pieces$ - $one$ $that$ $attaches$ $to$ $the$ $top$ $of$ $the$ $Pre$, $edging$ $around$ $the$ $screen$ $and$ $gesture$ $area$ $maybe$ $with$ $a$ $thin$ $transmissive$ $overlay$ $for$ $the$ $aforementioned$ $screen$ $and$ $gesture$ $area$, $and$ $a$ $bottom$ $that$ $covers$ $the$ $entire$ $lower$ $half$.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I imagine any hard case is going to be designed in a similar manner to the clip-on cases that Speck is making for Apple laptops - they've got little clips around the edge that secure the shell to the bottom and back of the display and allow the computer to open and close normally. And PrPrPr&#$275$; $hard$ $case$ $will$ $be$ $two$ $separate$ $pieces$ - $one$ $that$ $attaches$ $to$ $the$ $top$ $of$ $the$ $Pre$, $edging$ $around$ $the$ $screen$ $and$ $gesture$ $area$ $maybe$ $with$ $a$ $thin$ $transmissive$ $overlay$ $for$ $the$ $aforementioned$ $screen$ $and$ $gesture$ $area$, $and$ $a$ $bottom$ $that$ $covers$ $the$ $entire$ $lower$ $half$.
    [rant] Those are worthless, someone knocked my Macbook Pro off my desk and it was in a padded case as well had a Speck hard case and the computer bent right in half. Apple wanted $1500 to repair that even though I had Apple care [/rant]

Regardless, it should protect it from scratches.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

Well I hope that it has a good design... (and also nice and hip haha)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    [rant] Those are worthless, someone knocked my Macbook Pro off my desk and it was in a padded case as well had a Speck hard case and the computer bent right in half. Apple wanted $1500 to repair that even though I had Apple care [/rant]

...So that this doesn't happen.
    I love lolcats
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post

Was the desk 20 feet tall?

I have no doubt that they wouldn't do much good against a fall - they're relatively thin given the mass of the computer they are protecting. That said, I had one on my old MacBook Pro and it definitely save the computer from a rather abrupt encounter with a steel door frame.

And AppleCare covers typical warranty things - not accidental damage.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I think the people who said that had a dummy unit that may not have had the production parts. The unit in the picture didn't even have a button on the front of it. The plastic may be fine, we'll have to wait and see.
    Which picture are you referring to?
    ... I don't want some clear film overlay either.. Give me a hard case!
    I can only speak for the zagg film, but it is as good as any case that I've used. The problem with the hard cases is that they rub over time and leave marks (at least with my experience). The zagg skin is really pretty durable and has kept my 700p pristine with several drops (even rough concrete).
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ellianth View Post
    Which picture are you referring to?
    Sorry, I assumed everybody here is a fanatic with nothing better to do than read every story and look at every picture of the Pre and knew exactly what I was talking about.

Palm Pre finds a totally unofficial home in China
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    BTW, how are the screens on the Centro holding up? Wasn't this some kind of super screen that didn't need or could'nt use a screen protector? If the Centro's screen has held up well, maybe Palm is building on that technology for the Pre.
    Yeah... it scratches. There are two areas of scratches on my Centro's screen from playing solitaire. I think I used it for maybe 6 months or so. Broke the solitaire habit when I got the 800w and it has no scratches at all, and I have been throwing it around and carelessly putting it in the same pocket as my keys. The casing has more damage than the screen. I will definitely treat the Pre better than the Treo!

Since no stylus is needed for this phone, I doubt it will scratch easy unless you consistently let stuff rub against it in your purse/pocket.
    Was the desk 20 feet tall?

I have no doubt that they wouldn't do much good against a fall - they're relatively thin given the mass of the computer they are protecting. That said, I had one on my old MacBook Pro and it definitely save the computer from a rather abrupt encounter with a steel door frame.

And AppleCare covers typical warranty things - not accidental damage.
    Nope, about 2.5 feet. The weird thing is that someone else I know dropped their MBP, and they replaced the whole thing free of charge... very typical for me not to get good service (happened with my 700p too).

Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I think the people who said that had a dummy unit that may not have had the production parts. The unit in the picture didn't even have a button on the front of it. The plastic may be fine, we'll have to wait and see.
    Engadget pic with the brightness/contrast turned up.

Okay, silly question that I think has already been implied here: do capacitive touch screens work with screen protectors?
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Okay, silly question that I think has already been implied here: do capacitive touch screens work with screen protectors?
    Yeah they do, have for a while. I mean even the DS has screen protectors and those screens get touched pretty damn often. With a finger and stylus.
    Good deal, thanks! Sounds like that answers the concern about scratches...
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    The screen on a friend's first 755p and Centro scratched.Playing games can cause the scratching.After awhile,the problem on both phones became more and more noticeable.Now he's using a protector.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast