Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zionixi View Post
    Then why aren't they bragging about there new speed? All they're talking about is all these different applications telling you whats going on in real time? That's not speed. That's user experience.
    You're just being a negative nancy.
    Maybe a bit off-topic, but does anyone notice that Spprint has a 4G/Wimax USB modem on their site already complete with price plans even though Wimax is only available in Baltimore at the moment?

$79.99 for Unlimited 4G in Baltimore (only 5GB allotment in 3G areas).
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Another thing I looked at was the fact that no FCC filing has shown up for the Pre yet. Usually the filing will show up shortly after the device, but the company can request that they don't make it public until a week or two before release.

Does anyone know how Palm has done their FCC filings in the past to see if this fits into their regular pattern of behavior or not?
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zionixi View Post
    Then why aren't they bragging about there new speed? All they're talking about is all these different applications telling you whats going on in real time? That's not speed. That's user experience.
    I think they expect that most people have some idea of what 3G is, so when they say 4G they're expecting people to know that it's "one better."

They don't necessarily know what 4G means when it comes to speed, but they know it's better than AT&T.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Maybe a bit off-topic, but does anyone notice that Spprint has a 4G/Wimax USB modem on their site already complete with price plans even though Wimax is only available in Baltimore at the moment?

$79.99 for Unlimited 4G in Baltimore (only 5GB allotment in 3G areas).
    That has been there for a while. I know because WiMax was supposed to be rolled out in Dallas already. I contemplated it for a short while as a replacement for DSL with the ability to go mobile. (I decided against it anyway, because I need a consistent connection at home.)

I believe the WiMax equipment is installed in other cities, such as D.C., Chicago, Austin, and Dallas. I have seen blog posts of people in Dallas and other cities who can connect to the WiMax service, although I don't know if Sprint will actually give people outside of Baltimore a WiMax data plan. Also, I believe Clearwire has installed the WiMax network throughout much of the Northwest.

This may be closer to implementation than they're letting on.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    . . . ludicrous speed . . .
    [Apologies for OT]
    I sure hope that's a Spaceballs reference!
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    To throw some more gas on the fire, let's not forget that the infamous Roger McNamee threw out a couple of interesting quotes:

- "The Pre going to be a million times -- well, not a million times -- several times faster than the iPhone." (which I'm sure was in terms of the Internet)

- "The Pre is going to run rings around [Apple] on the Web."

The guy was known for making statements out of turn, and certainly this could just refer to the browser's speed given the processor, etc. But still, I find it quite interesting.

And then throw in the Palm CEO's comments about not charging less than the iPhone when the Pre is so much better. Again, could be taken many different ways, including just referencing multitasking, WebOS, etc., but still... Palm would definitely be able to charge significantly more for a Wimax device.

And besides: what else do we have to do right now except speculate?

Edit: Also, I looked at the commercial, and the "4G" is definitely on the Pre's screen as it fades away. And ads like this are done very carefully--something like that could hardly be a mistake. Again, depends on what the definition of "is" is, but still....
    Well a 4G device out against iPhone 3.0 would definitely have a better chance even with the limited market penetration of the 4G network.

4G see it's one louder....

Plus it would be nice because I don't see Apple being able to just add that in the last month if Palm releases with this feature.

Simultaneously, though, I think this one is a long shot. As i noted before in this thread, possible? yes. Likely? no. Though I would be more than happy to eat my words.
    Zero chance the Pre will be WiMax. Sprint advertising state they are "bringing you the first 4G" i.e. sometime down the road in later products. If the Pre had WiMAx they most certainly would have mentioned that when it was announced, when it was most important for Palm to make an impression. No way they would keep that up their sleaves for a later surprise - especially since they may not have had a chance if the phone was not received well back at CES. So. sorry, zero chance of Wimax in the Pre.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Sir~mycroft, you wrote "Zero chance the Pre will be WiMax." My dear sir, may you live to eat those words.

My guess is that if it's not WiMax initially, it will be soon. That's Sprint's goal, isn't it? WiMax for all.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post
    Sir~mycroft, you wrote "Zero chance the Pre will be WiMax." My dear sir, may you live to eat those words.

My guess is that if it's not WiMax initially, it will be soon. That's Sprint's goal, isn't it? WiMax for all.
    I'd love to eat my words. Unsalted even. But I assure you this Pre, the one that will (hopefully) be available in less than two months, will not be wimax ready. You will need the Pre2 and new hardware for that.
    VisorPhone Clone
    Sir~Mycroft, OK, WiMax on Pre2. Maybe 2010.

Do you think we'll get a surprise on the Pre? If so, what thinketh thee?
    I would argue more against this pre being WiMax Enabled when it clearly says on its tech specs on sprint that its 3G EVDO Rev A enabled.

Now unless sprint all of sudden says "SURPRISE!".... I don't see it happening.
    I love lolcats
    zionixi - No raining on parades here... All we crazy Pre fools have going for us at the moment is idle, rampant speculation. Otherwise, we'd go even more crazy.

Taking the speculation to another level: maybe the hardware's there, but the question of whether or not to enable it still requires testing and significant infrastructure rollout. Hence, no word from Sprint/Palm and no adding the capabilities to the specs. After all, if they can remove specs (e.g., tethering), then they can add them--that's the meaning of "specifications subject to change."

Or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    [Apologies for OT]
    I sure hope that's a Spaceballs reference!
    Yes, of course! Thanks for catching it--usually my references go unnoticed.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    zionixi - No raining on parades here... All we crazy Pre fools have going for us at the moment is idle, rampant speculation. Otherwise, we'd go even more crazy.

Taking the speculation to another level: maybe the hardware's there, but the question of whether or not to enable it still requires testing and significant infrastructure rollout. Hence, no word from Sprint/Palm and no adding the capabilities to the specs. After all, if they can remove specs (e.g., tethering), then they can add them--that's the meaning of "specifications subject to change."

Or something.
    I think including an entirely seperate radio fo WiMax into the Pre that would only have limited appeal for a long while would make the device far too expensive, and unnecessarily so. As another poster said, perhaps in 2010 with the Pre2 (or the Post, as it will be called - by me.)
    VisorPhone Clone
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    We only know what Sprint/Palm has told us about the radios so far - we still don't have any FCC certification documents or any knowledge of what modems are inside - it's entirely possible that they slipped a WiMAX chip inside so they could say at the release date announcement, "Oh, and one more thing...".

Likely? Probably not. But possible? Absolutely.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    I have theory that the Palm Pre will be WiMax capable. Granted, normally a phone company will reveal that kind of info when they announce the phone, but there may be reasons why they did not. At least two that I can think of:

- Sprint is not ready to get all official about WiMax rollouts
    - Palm knew the phone would generate enough buzz already. Maybe they figure they can leave WiMax as icing on the cake.

Additionally, I used to have a contact who was pretty high up on the food chain at Palm. In February 2006 I learned from him that they were working on a WiMax phone and that they would be releasing it by the end of 2007 - along with Sprint rolling out their WiMax network. Obviously this never happened, as Sprint didn't have their ducks in a row in time. But I know the rumor was legit because I got majorly chewed out by posting about it on my blog - my contact came very close to being fingered when Palm launched an internal investigation to find the source of the leak.

So the fact is Palm has had WiMax on their radar since before early 2006. They were slated to be the phone launch partner for WiMax way back then - so why not now? The Pre is Palm's last chance to save their dying business, so there is no better time than the present to launch with WiMax and start taking back some market share.

The Pre is the revolutionary device that was MADE for high speed data/WiMax - hell it's even shipping with "Web OS." There is no device out there that needs WiMax more than this. If they had a device ready for WiMax in 2006 and now the network is about ready for the phone in 2009, would it make sense NOT to ship with WiMax capabilities?

Additionally, Sprints new advertising is heavily promoting their 4G network. Even going to the Pre's page on their site: Sprint: Meet the Palm Pre will say "bringing you the first 4g network from a national carrier." They say the same things in their commercials and then show the Pre for a few seconds right at the end.

A commenter on the "will you switch to sprint?" blog post claimed that a Sprint employee told them the Pre would have WiMax. It's not much, but it's something.

One last thing I want to point out is that AT&T is nervous - they're all in a hurry to roll out their 7.2Mbps HSDPA for some reason (I've used it and it's awesome) - even though nobody is really complaining about their network speed. Could it be because WiMax is so close and they can feel it? On the other hand, how is Sprint planning on keeping up?

The Pre would have to support both EVDO Rev. A AND WiMax - it has been advertised up to this point as Rev. A capable. Plus, until the WiMax network is completely rolled out, you wouldn't want Pre users stuck without something relatively fast. But every 3G phone out there comes with 2G fallback, so why wouldn't a 4G phone come with 3G/2G fallback?

I'm not saying I'm convinced that the Pre will have WiMax, I'm just saying there's a chance and even a little bit of reason to suggest it.

What do you guys think?

I spoke with a Sprint sales rep that even said the Treo Pro can do wimax. I said not in my book but this guy does not have his ducks in a row (he is convinced that the Pre and Pro do wimax)! I don't know why customers should know more than the Sprint employee's do. I guess Dan H. needs to be hit with this in upgrading their staff to be more informative and not give out false information. This was a store in Odessa, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    Additionally, I used to have a contact who was pretty high up on the food chain at Palm. In February 2006 I learned from him that they were working on a WiMax phone and that they would be releasing it by the end of 2007 - along with Sprint rolling out their WiMax network. Obviously this never happened, as Sprint didn't have their ducks in a row in time.
    Look every handset maker would have been working on wimax at that point. that was not leak, not a trade secret, it is just a simple basic thing everyone would have been doing.

the fact is if sprint were to release a wimax handset it woudl set high expectations that they can't meet, which would be an extremely bad message -- especially for Sprint. wimax rollout is going to cost a fortune.
    again...from Sprint themselves (via svinge @ twitter)

Sprint says it expects to offer tri mode 4G/3G/WiFi phone in 2010 #4G
    10:38 PM Apr 17th from TwitterBerry
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast