Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been about as big an advocate for patiently waiting for the Pre as anybody. My feelings about the Pre haven't changed at all.

What has changed is that my Centro met with a rather unfortunate accident today and is DESTROYED. Done. Unsalvageable.

Now, I have a backup dumbphone I COULD somehow limp by with until the Pre launches. But I really don't want to go without immediate access to email, Web browsing, and especially maps.

So...Sprint's offering me a a full new upgrade with the mail-in rebate instantly applied to any new smartphone I want. Centro....Instinct S30 (no, seriously)...Diamond...whatever. Dare I take the chance and prey like hell Sprint makes the May 17th date so I can exchange at launch? If so, which handset?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I've been about as big an advocate for patiently waiting for the Pre as anybody. My feelings about the Pre haven't changed at all.

What has changed is that my Centro met with a rather unfortunate accident today and is DESTROYED. Done. Unsalvageable.

Now, I have a backup dumbphone I COULD somehow limp by with until the Pre launches. But I really don't want to go without immediate access to email, Web browsing, and especially maps.

So...Sprint's offering me a a full new upgrade with the mail-in rebate instantly applied to any new smartphone I want. Centro....Instinct S30 (no, seriously)...Diamond...whatever. Dare I take the chance and prey like hell Sprint makes the May 17th date so I can exchange at launch? If so, which handset?

Take the upgrade. You have 30 days to "change your mind". Your reason will be that the Pre came out... ;o)

Just return it before thirty days and your upgrade will still be available and you won't be out a phone. Now this is a little shady and I can't believe I'm advocating it, but it will work.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Hmm, with how the rumors have looked at this point, I'd say it's pretty risky hoping for the May 17th date in a case like what you're in. It seems like a 50/50 shot at this point, and depending on how much the Pre costs without a contract, you might get screwed over badly.

If you absolutely need a smartphone right now to hold you over, I'd say buy a Sprint phone with no contract off eBay or whatever, personally. I've got the WM Standard (non-touchscreen) q9c right now, and while I'll be immediately replacing it with a Pre, it'd give you maps (with GPS and Sprint Navigation), email (push via Exchange, or every few minutes via IMAP/POP), and web browsing (you'd want Skyfire) for around $125 or so, and then you're still eligible for your new phone discount whenever the Pre does come out.

If you do go the eBay route, make sure the seller has good feedback and is willing to guarantee a clear ESN in case of activation issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Take the upgrade. You have 30 days to "change your mind". Your reason will be that the Pre came out... ;o)

Just return it before thirty days and your upgrade will still be available and you won't be out a phone. Now this is a little shady and I can't believe I'm advocating it, but it will work.
    The only problem that may arise is if the Pre doesn't come out in the next 30 days, which, well, it may not.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I've got a 700p I'll give you for $125. (OR OFFER)
    Last edited by leadtrumpetdave; 04/22/2009 at 06:43 PM.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    ...mail-in rebate instantly applied...
    That sounds like an oxymoron.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I'd go with a Touch Pro, or a Treo Pro, you might not want the pre if it ever comes out!
    Terry
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    The only problem that may arise is if the Pre doesn't come out in the next 30 days, which, well, it may not.
    Or you can just try another phone for 30 days... I tried the Blackberry 8330, Treo 800w, and Blackberry Pearl before reverting to the 8330. Upgrade price every time...
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Or you can just try another phone for 30 days... I tried the Blackberry 8330, Treo 800w, and Blackberry Pearl before reverting to the 8330. Upgrade price every time...
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Just hit up craigslist, you can easily score another centro for under $100, or I've seen the 800w going for around 125. Or throw the dice a bit and hope for a May release. Even if it doesn't come out in may, just trade in whatever you decide on for another smartphone, return that one in June for the Pre. Then report back here with reviews of all 3!
    picking up a used treo is a good idea (wish i thought of it). it will carry u til the pre is available, avoid the extra effort of moving to another OS and be for a minimal cost
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    Just hit up craigslist, you can easily score another centro for under $100, or I've seen the 800w going for around 125. Or throw the dice a bit and hope for a May release. Even if it doesn't come out in may, just trade in whatever you decide on for another smartphone, return that one in June for the Pre. Then report back here with reviews of all 3!
    They only let you swap out a phone once during the 30 days...you can't do it twice and still get the rebates. It's a one-time deal. If that were the case, you could get a new phone every 30 days for the discounted price if you wanted to.
    I wouldn't count on the May 17th date. If it were true we'd have heard more by now I think... I have had to use a dumb phone for the past 6 months and take it from me, there are ways to get by. You can install some fairly interesting java apps on most of the sprint dumb phones out there. They even have an email app you can download to allow you to make it until the end of June (most realistic date). Heck maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised and it will actually come out next month. Is it really worth 2 years or hundreds of dollars when you could have waited 2 months? Really?
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    picking up a used treo is a good idea (wish i thought of it). it will carry u til the pre is available, avoid the extra effort of moving to another OS and be for a minimal cost
    This way you will have a back up phone incase you find your self in this spot again.
    Terryh
    I'd buy another Centro off of ebay or whatever and just sell it later. Exchanging could be a headache as is worrying if you can in time.
    I'll chime in and say go used. I was really hoping my progressively flaky 650 would make it to the Pre launch, but alas, it was not to be. I can't live without it either so I looked at eBay and a few online stores that sell used phones and 650's go for around $90 despite their age. I lucked out and found one at CellularTrendz.com for $55 because it didn't have a camera. The store will also guarantee the ESN can be activated on the carrier they list it for.
    i'd say craigslist instead of ebay for speed of getting the phone.

i was in a similar spot a couple weeks ago, i opted fo the $50 dollar assurian replacement centro instead of limping along with my old treo 650 until the pre came
    .....mail-in rebate instantly applied to any new smartphone I want
    I believe that is a trap tactic and you will not have the 30 day trial period.... when you get a phone from them they tell you, if you plan on switching in the 30 days do not mail in the rebate....................................
    I think part of the reason Sprint is not anxious to give 30 days heads up on the Pre release is that they don't want a ton of people buying other phones intending to to return them for the Pre within their 30.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I think part of the reason Sprint is not anxious to give 30 days heads up on the Pre release is that they don't want a ton of people buying other phones intending to to return them for the Pre within their 30.
    Not to say that doesn't make sense, but the release date uncertainty could just as easily make people hold off on purchasing other phones (like the recently launched Treo Pro) the same way. Sprint's kinda hurt until they get this thing launched either way.

As of this moment, I'm still undecided. I can't say that I haven't given a lot of thought to jumping on another train/phone/OS, and waiting a good little while for bugs to be worked out and apps to get up to speed (kinda like what's happened with the Instinct almost a year later). So now, it's a question of do I want the Pre on launch day or a bit down the line...

Just don't know, really.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast