Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Not to say that doesn't make sense, but the release date uncertainty could just as easily make people hold off on purchasing other phones (like the recently launched Treo Pro) the same way. Sprint's kinda hurt until they get this thing launched either way.
    Nah, Pro s selling very well according to my sprint store and also a guy I know who deals with brightpoint (bulk sales).

the solution for you is simple, get a centro off of ebay. you can sell it in two months for 50% or more of what you pay. your net cost is bound to be about $50.
  2.    #22  
    First off, let me sincerely say "Thank you" to Aero. This is probably the most civil exchange we've ever had, and I'd like to wipe the slate clean and use this as our starting point henceforth. I hate having lingering bad blood with anybody.

Second, thanks to everyone else here for the advice. But those wascally wabbits at Sprint called me and offered me a free Instinct S30 overnighted, and promised to honor the 30-day window for return. I decided to take it. The more I thought about it, the more I saw this as a win-win-win.

Maybe the Pre will make May 17th, and maybe it won't. If it's that amazing (but arrives at the end of June), and I absolutely have to have it, I will shell out the cash and sell the Instinct to offset the cost.

If the phone arrives on May 17, I can check it out for a day or two at Best Buy, make sure it's all that, and swap away. If it's not, then I can simply wait out my window for bugs to be fixed, Flash to arrive, apps to be built, and possibly even a better hardware model to arrive.

Either way, I'm not going to be off my main line for more than a couple of days, and I'm kinda looking forward to giving straight smartphones a break and seeing how the other half (flashy mediaphones) live for awhile. The only thing I'm apprehensive about is the virtual keyboard - I've not liked any as of yet, even the iPod Touch - but I'm told once you get used to them, they're fine. I've never given any more than a few half-hearted tries, so we'll see.

Anyway...still looking forward to the Pre like mad. Just have a new toy to help ease the wait, I guess. The 3.2-inch screen, media capabilities, Sprint nav, and Pandora app for Instinct will almost be like a preview of the Pre, I think.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Ok I know this is not the subject of this thread but since you have made a decision I would think it is ok to ask.
    I tried an Instinct a wile back I did not like it at all, I did not know they have a new model out, what is the diffcerence between the old, and the new?
    Thanks
    terry
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    Ok I know this is not the subject of this thread but since you have made a decision I would think it is ok to ask.
    I tried an Instinct a wile back I did not like it at all, I did not know they have a new model out, what is the diffcerence between the old, and the new?
    Thanks
    terry
    Slightly bigger screen, an improved browser plus the latest Opera Mini onboard, Sprint Mobile Email that'll sync with my work calendar and contacts, double the amount of RAM, slightly more responsive touchscreen. accepts larger microSD cards, and updated veriosn of most of the apps the first Instinct shipped with.

It lost a few things too (not as many accessories shipped with it, Rev. 0 internet instead of Rev. A, etc.). But I'm gonna give it a shot for now.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    ok never herd of Rev. 0, is that what the first centro had?
    Thanks again
    Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    First off, let me sincerely say "Thank you" ....... Instinct will almost be like a preview of the Pre, I think.
    Nicve to see the board was able to help u out. Enjoy the instinct
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I wonder why they downgraded the internet on the new Instinct. They got bashed for that on CNET.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8.    #28  
    Dunno. But after I've put it through its paces, I'll let you all know what's up.

In the meantime, bring on that Pre!
  9.    #29  
    Alright...

...I don't think many here are clamoring for this, but I figured I would follow through anyway with my feelings on the Instinct S30, and how it pertains to the Pre.

I got the copper-backed Instinct S30. First off, it's a beautiful-looking device. The new metallic bezel and curves really, really improve the look from the original. Functionally, it's surprisingly robust and well-thoughtout. The lock screen needs a long button press to unlock, and when calls come through on the phone while it's locked, you have to slide up to answer them. So I never accidentally answer or hangup on people trying to get the phone out of my pocket like I did the Centro.

They added Opera Mini 4.2 pre-installed, and it works beautifully. They still have the original browser - in a slightly improved version - but I barely use it. It's the default browser, and it really only comes in handy for landscape browsing, which I rarely do. Opera Mini is a great portrait browser, but a HORRIBLE landscape one. So they kinda work together.

I was amazed at the responsiveness of the touchscreen, too. It's resistive, but I haven't needed a stylus but once (and I improvised since this doesn't come with one like the original). The landscape keyboard is really nice, too. My favorite on an all-touch device BY FAR (and includes the portrait one on the iPod Touch). I was also amazed at the features out-of-the-box. It comes with a good version of Sprint Mobile Email, an improved Calendar app, and (for those kvetching about the Pre not having this) a very nice Alarm Clock app. There's also a decent Notes app. That - along with the browser - covers about 95 percent of what I used my Centro for.

The entire OS is pretty speedy too, now that they've doubled the RAM from the original. I had a couple of app freezes (mostly the original browser choking on a page and running out of memory), but it's a snappy experience day-to-day. The media player is very improved too, and it has EQ and 3D/surround options. Loading up media is drag-and-drop simplicity. I've never been a SD card fan, but I see no reason not to get a 8GB card and load her up. Finally, the Live Search app and GPS are just as amazing as everyone says. I REALLY hope the Pre gets an equivalent at this at one point. It's a real differentiator from the iPhone.

This phone actually makes me more excited for the Pre. For one, I transitioned very easily to all-touching-and-swiping all of the time, and if the Pre is this snappy, it'll be an easy transition to use it. I can now NEVER, EVER go back to a screen smaller than 3-inches. It's just a world of difference. The 3.2-inch screen of the Instinct is beautiful, and it makes my iPod Touch seem a little obese, actually. I wonder how the fatter, yet slightly smaller Pre screen will feel in my hands (I'm anticipating it'll work just fine)...

Finally, I hope the Pre gets the voice command app. One of my major quibbles with iPhone and other all-touch devices (and likely the Pre if I don't want to open the keyboard) is the amount of tapping and swiping it takes just to get to a contact, when hardware QWERTY phones have one-button access. The stellar voice recognition on the Instinct S30 gives it back to me, because I only have to hold down the right call hardware button, say "Call X", and it is DONE. It even recognizes nicknames like "Sweetie".

All that aside, I'm more excited than ever for some Pre features...Non-disruptive notifications being chief among them. The notifications on the Instinct are identical to the iPhone, and just this morning, I got an annoying series of texts from a friend who should've combined them into a blast email. With Pre, I could've ignored him until i was ready to read them and not have him interrupt my browsing. No such luck on Instinct.

The Instinct is a really nice, unfairly maligned handset all-in-all. I'm more hopeful than ever that the Pre will eventually take some of the best features and slap them on a real smartphone, multitasking OS with memory to spare for the built-in web browser. That would be...something.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12