Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Go say that that over at crackberry... the storm is a perfect example of WE WANT THE PHONE NOW!! I Promise I won't complain if it's buggy.. People are complaining big time. And are calling the phone a failure, and now it's buy one get one free!

Palm is in a time crunch... damned if they do damned if they don't.
    Yeah, but we're talking about the SDK, and the people who matter for that are the developers... people who clearly realize what a beta means. Besides that, the Storm was released and they claimed it was a finished product upon release. If Palm released the beta SDK publicly, they'd say clearly it was the beta SDK, I'd imagine.
    Shazam is nifty.....but thats about it for me.
    My wife uses it every now and then....nothing I would use regularly. Its more of a Whiz Bang kinda thing.
  3. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Go say that that over at crackberry... the storm is a perfect example of WE WANT THE PHONE NOW!! I Promise I won't complain if it's buggy.. People are complaining big time. And are calling the phone a failure, and now it's buy one get one free!

Palm is in a time crunch... damned if they do damned if they don't.
    At this point, the Pre is ready enough for Sprint to have it in ads (TV and print). They wouldn't do that if they didn't feel it was ready and on schedule--whatever that schedule is. It seems more a question of how much buzz Palm and Sprint want to build in the general public (vs. the tech community that's been paying attention since January) than making sure the firmware is fully baked.

And I'm sure Rubinstein & co. were watching closely as Verizon launched the Storm and deemed it an object lesson in what to avoid.

If you want to go into any of that further, it's probably best to do it in another thread.

As for Shazam... hard to say. They might have meant Garnet. Or they might be taking a wait-and-see approach on WebOS. Or they might have applied for the dev program, be waiting, and not ready to comment. Whichever you pick, we'll have to wait and see.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I use Shazam and find it very useful. I think if the Pre sells in large enough quantities an app will be created for the Pre. Why wouldn't they create an app that would sell in large quantities and turn a nice profit, of course they will develop one.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah, but we're talking about the SDK, and the people who matter for that are the developers... people who clearly realize what a beta means. Besides that, the Storm was released and they claimed it was a finished product upon release. If Palm released the beta SDK publicly, they'd say clearly it was the beta SDK, I'd imagine.
    +1!! Exactly what I was going to say. Beta SDK and beta phone are 2 VERY different things. I don't expect Palm to release a buggy phone. Personally, I'd beta test it for them if they had an option, but when they release it to the general public it sure as heck better be solid. The SDK on the other hand is used by developers and developers only. There are few people that would even know what to do with an SDK, and those people better understand what BETA means. It would be nice if I had as much of an opportunity as every other developer out there. I don't expect that they will give tech support or anything like that, but release the SDK and let us hack it out ourselves.
    why would any developer who isn't on the in with the SDK for a phone that hasn't been released really care to develop for it? I would imagine many would take a wait and see attitude. Not worth getting upset about it at this point. If three months after release with the Pre selling well they still say they have no plans, then it'd be a shame if it doesn't get a developer's attention.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    This is definitely a cool app, but I've never actually used beyond testing it to see how well it works, and it works VERY well.

For me, this falls under the toy category.
    I wouldn't give up hope, in fact I would implore more people to email Shazam and ask for a port to the Palm Pre. They can't ignore a lot of people asking for a Pre version if we make ourselves known.
    They made it for Android.

They'll make it for Pre.

And if they don't, others will.
    Luckily for me, if I hear a song I like I just have to look at the Winamp or Pandora "Now Playing" info and I know what it is.
    Some internet radio sites just stream with no titles of individual songs given. Like those on iTunes(yeah I know, don't laugh, but there's some good dance music stations there).

HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yeah, or if there's a song playing during a TV show or something it works well too.
    Seems Shazam and other companies are in hot water for patent infringement. Did Palm dodge a bullet with Shazam showing no interest in the Pre?

http://news.techwhack.com/10347-tune-hunter
    NachoB, did you ever go back and clarify your question? Any updates? (maybe they have changed their minds considering the relative popularity of the Pre)
    The WebOS SDK currently does not have an API for the microphone.

So until then, Shazam will probably continue to not have any plans of making an app.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    NachoB, did you ever go back and clarify your question? Any updates? (maybe they have changed their minds considering the relative popularity of the Pre)
    Nah, I never did. Just a wait and see game for me. Don't think my pestering them will make it happen any sooner than planned (if it is planned)
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Shazam isnt the only app out there that does music identification, have yall heard of Midomi? Does the same thing on the iPhone, and IMHO is much better.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Shazam isnt the only app out there that does music identification, have yall heard of Midomi? Does the same thing on the iPhone, and IMHO is much better.
    When it was free. Isn't free now from what I've seen. I used to use shazam and midomi interchangeably when they first came out for the iPhone. Shazam got better at recognizing the actual songs, but midomi had the feature of humming or singing a song for recognition. It was nice, but not as accurate as I wanted it to be. And now they charge for it.
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!
    Even if I had to pay for it, I would.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    I suspect they can't do this right now. I don't believe there is an API in the SDK yet that can record audio.
    Quote Originally Posted by backlund View Post
    FWIW, not everyone can even get the SDK yet. Until it's readily available to everyone, some apps are going to be left out. I too, am hoping Shazam hops on board once the Pre comes out.
    That's a negatory good buddy. The SDK is out to everyone as of a month ago.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast