Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    How about they say that the iPhone's UI is old and outdated as compared to the Pre.
    Actually, that sounds like a few of the chronic complainers here. But let's do the same compare and contrast with the iPhone when it launched:

Under the "Applications" category, you'd have almost a blank slate.

Same goes for "Business" and "GPS". A lot of the rest is stuff that would apply to any AT&T GSM phone vs. any other CDMA phone. I mean, listing "Global Roaming" as an iPhone 3G advantage three separate times? Very sad.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    It's called "Grasping at straws."
    Sounds like they used a political speech writer for this one.
    And c'mon Apple, how many apps did YOU have at launch?
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Most of the points have to do with the fact that the iPhone is GSM and the Pre (for now) is CDMA. This will change once the GSM version of the Pre becomes available.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    The Pre's multi-touch interface? Not intuitive? Let me try and hash this out...

Oh, you mean like starting to compose a new e-mail, then realizing you need to check something in a message in your inbox, and having to either throw away the message you were writing or save it as a draft to check the older message, because the OS doesn't support multi-tasking? Oh wait, that's an iPhone? Sorry, let me try again...

Umm, maybe it's starting a radio stream in an application, then attempting to move to another application to, oh I don't know, maybe get actual work done, only to have the radio stream stop playing as soon as you leave the app? Oh, iPhone again? Hang on, I'll get this eventually...

Could it be the whole idiotic idea of opening one app to do some form of work, realizing you need to look up a piece of info on Wikipedia, and therefore exit the app you were in, launch the web browser, find the info you need, write it down because it doesn't have copy/paste (yet), then exit the web browser and relaunch the app, wait for it to finish loading, and finally get back to work? What? That's the iPhone yet again? Hmmm... I'm not finding anything really all that unintuitive about webOS then...

In all seriousness, I will admit that one of webOS' more troublesome properties is its reliance on the gesture area, which is simultaneously total genius and possibly its greatest flaw - while the gesture area's benefits are that it offers a wide range of functionality to the user while taking up a minimum of space, it's also an extremely opaque method to inform the user of what that functionality is. As a developer, when I read that the "back" action is considered a primary interaction in webOS etiquette with the same level of importance as tap, swipe, and flick, I immediately got a bit nervous - how do I let my users know where and when they need to use a "back" to get where they need to go?

Now, the way the developer guidelines laid out in the webOS book describe it, the "back" gesture is a "blessed by Palm" feature, so I'm hoping that once users figure out the default apps, their experience with the "back" gesture from the base OS will be enough to train them in how to expect to use it in various kinds of third-party apps, but I'm still expecting that I'm going to have to create some sort of "quick-start" video or slideshow tutorial for first boot to help less-experienced users figure out the interface (and of course, anger more experienced users who already understand the interface metaphors by making them sit through a class in how to use a Pre all over again...).

Now, Palm has historically been pretty good about offering a decent OOBE (Out Of Box Experience), with a good newbie tutorial and a list of how to get basic things done. And with Sprint and their ReadyNow service onboard, hopefully the less technically-aware users will get some basic but useful, one-on-one training before they even walk out the door with their Pre. But it still worries me that my users may be forced to figure out an interface paradigm that isn't incredibly apparent at first blush (hell, it took me a few minutes when I read and then watched the CES event to finally figure out what was going on).

The quick-launch and Launcher gestures are less troublesome, because both of those can be duplicated to the satisfaction of 90% of users by just pressing the center button, although the iPhone's "Home Button" paradigm might leave some users scratching their heads initially when they press the center button with a card open and it goes to Card View instead of straight to the Launcher. Damn Apple and their mental reprogramming of everyone's brain circuitry...
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    This only goes to show that at&t is scared. That is the only reason you put together a document like that, they know the pre has a lot of great features and will take a lot of at&t customers over to sprint (like me).
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    It's called "Grasping at straws."
    Absolutely right!

"I wish my lawn were goth, so it would cut itself." -unknown
    Awwwww AT&T a little jealous??? Poor AT&T with inferior network and phones.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Oh, while I remember, might I add that it's hilarious for AT&T to brag about the iPhone's "GPS/Global Nav" capabilities when it currently is impossible (or almost so) to get an actual navigation (AKA, turn-by-turn) program for the device? It currently has no GPS/Global Nav functionality in the way that users would expect - yes, you can get GPS from anywhere in the world, but you can't get turn-by-turn navigation from there yet, and it could be a while before that becomes available even post-iPhone OS 3.0 - and since the devs will have to BYOM (bring your own maps), it's gonna be expensive to buy a TxT app, when the Pre comes with one for free.
    I think if a salesman in an AT&T store were to feed me these lines if I asked about how the iPhone compares to the Pre, it would actually make me want the Pre more because they are so obviously lame. I don't blame AT&T for putting together such a document, but you would think they could come up with a few more points in the iPhone's favor.

More than anything, I think this shows the degree to which AT&T feels uncomfortable answering those iPhone vs. Pre questions, and the frequency at which they think they are going to have to answer them.
    Get angry all you want but it works. Sprint/Palm should be even more aggressive when marketing and go at em... Meet the Pre...ADD commericals..yeah yeah..but fights are more entertaining Get on offense..
    They should definitely be emphasizing the AT&T Wi-Fi network because their actual 3G network is fragile whenever it's heavily used, if you have AT&T 3G service at all, that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Get angry all you want but it works. Sprint/Palm should be even more aggressive when marketing and go at em... Meet the Pre...ADD commericals..yeah yeah..but fights are more entertaining Get on offense..
    The last time Sprint did that, it didn't work out particularly well.
    Well...sprint tried it with the Instinct. LOL That was kind of doomed..

But the Pre is a bit different. It's still the best strategy but you gotta have the product to back it up with. The Instinct was garbage.
    What's funny is that the Instinct succeeded pretty much in spite of those lame ads. It is still a top seller for Sprint, and the primary engine of those Simply Everything plans.
    Maybe it was successful, but its not in the same category as a smartphone is all i'm saying. The fact its a top seller may indicate how lame some of sprint's phones are and that they don't push its consumer (touch diamond) ones at all.

Water under bridge really. The Pre is where they're going and they need to do some competitive advertising and go at em directly. Even if they reach, it sparks conversation. And if the product is lame..well it was going to fail anyways right?
    this is great
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NBENZ View Post
    This only goes to show that at&t is scared. That is the only reason you put together a document like that, they know the pre has a lot of great features and will take a lot of at&t customers over to sprint (like me).
    Exactly right, their internal research must suggest that they have something to be worried about.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast