Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    did anyone mention Amazon music downloads are at a higher bitrate than ones from itunes? Though with a limiting 8gb, that might not be a good thing.

Just a shame they focused on so many unknowns and spun negatives instead of focusing on the positive things about the iphone.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    did anyone mention Amazon music downloads are at a higher bitrate than ones from itunes? Though with a limiting 8gb, that might not be a good thing.

Just a shame they focused on so many unknowns and spun negatives instead of focusing on the positive things about the iphone.
    Amazon is encoded at 256 kbps MP3, whereas iTunes is at 256 kbps AAC. Only difference is the file format, which on a phone (or most consumer devices) is a difference you're not going to notice. If you have something good enough to tell the difference, you don't want to be listening to a compressed format anyway.

iTunes used to be encoded at 128 kbps with "iTunes Plus" carrying a premium with 256 kbps tracks, but they abolished/merged/expanded Plus to just be regular iTunes.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    ahhh...missed the merger. You will hear a difference using the right cans though. Using basic buds as opposed to my denon canal buds. And everyone's ear is different. For me, the difference between 128 and 256 is noticeable. 256 to 320kb, not nearly as much and just slightly noticeable compared to a CD.

And I'll take an MP3 that I can play just about anywhere and on anything as opposed to an AAC that's a bit more limiting.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    ahhh...missed the merger. You will hear a difference using the right cans though. Using basic buds as opposed to my denon canal buds. And everyone's ear is different. For me, the difference between 128 and 256 is noticeable. 256 to 320kb, not nearly as much and just slightly noticeable compared to a CD.

And I'll take an MP3 that I can play just about anywhere and on anything as opposed to an AAC that's a bit more limiting.
    Oh, there's no doubt you can tell the difference between 128 and 256 - it's 256 MP3 and 256 AAC that you'll have trouble discerning.

Oh, as a plus to the iTunes Plus merging - it's all DRM free now.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

I don't really see what there is to argue with or disbelieve.
    This is getting no where.
    PDA phone is a big category. ( diamond, 800W, touch pro, treo pro,..... )

PLAIN ENGLISH
    Statement like "SPRINT sold x millions of SAMSUNG' Instinct in 2008" would be simple and cuts to the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Oh, there's no doubt you can tell the difference between 128 and 256 - it's 256 MP3 and 256 AAC that you'll have trouble discerning.

Oh, as a plus to the iTunes Plus merging - it's all DRM free now.

Im an amateur studio engineer, please don't make me get into the differences in compression sizes and the difference between mp3, AAC, and FLAC lol... You're making me want to throw out a whole mess of different articles of bitrates, etc. lol

sufficeth to say.. you're not really gonna hear the difference between 256kb mp3 and a 256kb AAC lol
    I love lolcats
    Pardon me for arriving late to the party, but won't there be a significant size difference between the two - mp3 & aac?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Pardon me for arriving late to the party, but won't there be a significant size difference between the two - mp3 & aac?
    Yup, the mp3 will be smaller.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Yup, the mp3 will be smaller.
    I'd heard the opposite. Hm.

But then, it's been a while - and I don't mess with AAC's.
    I'd heard the opposite. Hm.

But then, it's been a while - and I don't mess with AAC's.
    I might have been wrong, I don't use AAC because iTunes sucks I think it depends on the file, encorder, and obvously the bitrate.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

I've discovered that a jailbroken iPhone shows functionality that Apple could have allowed if they weren't so anal. It actually will do most of the stuff that people say it won't, Apple is just a who cripples their own firmware.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I might have been wrong, I don't use AAC because iTunes sucks I think it depends on the file, encorder, and obvously the bitrate.
    Yeah, I meant with all things being equal.

But maybe someone will help us out.
    Well I just encoded a file sourced at 128kbps mp3 and the results at 320kbps were 11.5mb for AAC and 11.7 for mp3. Not really much of a difference if you ask me.

14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I don't really see what there is to argue with or disbelieve.
    mikah,
    can you find information similar to this

T-Mobile sells a million G1s in the US
    Well I just encoded a file sourced at 128kbps mp3 and the results at 320kbps were 11.5mb for AAC and 11.7 for mp3. Not really much of a difference if you ask me.
    I don't understand this scenario. Sorry if I'm missing something.

If you're saying the source was of a lower quality than the resulting file, that doesn't make sense. So I guess I'm misunderstanding that.

If you're saying that the mp3 file was 128 kbps and the aac file was 320kpbs, then the quality is different, so the comparison doesn't meet the requirement of "all things being equal" (to compare that which is unequal - i.e. the resulting file sizes). So I guess you're not saying that, either.

Can you explain that, for me? Again, sorry if I'm missing the obvious.
    I don't understand this scenario. Sorry if I'm missing something.

If you're saying the source was of a lower quality than the resulting file, that doesn't make sense. So I guess I'm misunderstanding that.

If you're saying that the mp3 file was 128 kbps and the aac file was 320kpbs, then the quality is different, so the comparison doesn't meet the requirement of "all things being equal" (to compare that which is unequal - i.e. the resulting file sizes). So I guess you're not saying that, either.

Can you explain that, for me? Again, sorry if I'm missing the obvious.
    Sorry about that, it did not make much sense I will admit.

I took a 128kbps mp3 file and I converted it to 320kbps AAC and mp3 and I got 11.5mb for the AAC file and 11.7mb for the mp3 file. hope that makes more sense to you

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Sorry about that, it did not make much sense I will admit.

I took a 128kbps mp3 file and I converted it to 320kbps AAC and mp3 and I got 11.5mb for the AAC file and 11.7mb for the mp3 file. hope that makes more sense to you
    No, that doesn't make any sense. You're taking a compressed (loss-formatted) file and upsizing it. It doesn't work like that.

That's like taking a JPG and making it larger. You don't have the data to fill the holes you're creating.

You don't really understand digital formats and compressions do you? It's NOT about file size. It's the way by which the information is stored and read.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    No, that doesn't make any sense. You're taking a compressed (loss-formatted) file and upsizing it. It doesn't work like that.

That's like taking a JPG and making it larger. You don't have the data to fill the holes you're creating.

You don't really understand digital formats and compressions do you? It's NOT about file size. It's the way by which the information is stored and read.
    Wow ok then, don't have to get so angry about it. I was just doing some compairison encoding...

I ran another test, this time the source file is a mp3 at 320kbps and I converted it into 128kbps mp3 and AAC. AAC ended up being 4.33mb and the mp3 is 4.28mb; both at 91% compression.

AAC is suppose to have better quality sound from bitrate track. Even converting from an mp3 to AAC is not a proper comparison you would need a FLAC or a real CD because of the following:
    Advanced Audio Coding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did not wish to list them so I figured a link would do just as well.

AAC is suppose to be the successor of MP3 which has been around since 1993 iirc, where as AAC came ~ 4 years later, yet mp3 is still more widely used.
    it wouldn't be a proper comparison if he was comparing sound quality
    for comparing the file size for the two formats at a given bps it's perfectly accurate
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast