Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    The Pre's multi-touch interface? Not intuitive? Let me try and hash this out...
    [ [ epic smackdown ] ]
    This is why I love phonefights! Epic rant!
    LOL..maybe i'm wrong..

Say i'm a media and i hear about Sprint's upcoming release. And I know about Apple's (yawn..they do so every year). I find a way to make both interesting and do the inevitable comparisons. Sprint vs AT&T.

Now maybe Palm doesn't want that..i don't know since their marketing is usually bizarre. But even if they lose most of the mock comparisons they're still being mentioned as the OTHER heavyweight. And this educates the masses that hey..there's a competitor out there..check em out. Palm? A Pre? The iphone will get the press..always does. But in this case, its not the Storm or G1 as the "other" guy, but the Pre. And from being a nobody (which the Pre is basically), this coverage should be much desired.

I find it hard to believe they'd (the mainstream media) will simply report on Apple and ignore another major carrier with such an awaited release. Palm/Sprint is too much spice to the usual Apple blah blah to ignore.
    Quote Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post
    Most of the points have to do with the fact that the iPhone is GSM and the Pre (for now) is CDMA. This will change once the GSM version of the Pre becomes available.
    When a GSM version of the Pre is available in the US, it will hopefully be sold by AT&T anyway so the point is moot. In the meantime, those of us who do want our smartphones to be GSM, aren't going to be buying a Pre. Ironically the iPhone isn't a great choice either since what you want is a unlocked quad band GSM phone and the iPhone is the one quad band phone that AT&T will not unlock.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    OK - Here's my answer to each one of their objections about the Pre:

1. Multitasking
    2. Multitasking
    3. Multitasking
    4. Multitasking
    5. Multitasking
    6. Multitasking

And one last one...

Multitasking
    I have never wanted the Pre more.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post

1. Multitasking
    2. Multitasking
    3. Multitasking
    4. Multitasking
    5. Multitasking
    6. Multitasking

And one last one...

Multitasking
    The iPhone OS has always had multitasking. Developers just aren't allowed to run stuff in the background.
    Wait a minute... voice roaming in 205 countries? What, are we counting Texas and Quebec as independent sovereign nations, 'cause I'm pretty sure there are only 203 countries out there, many so small that they hardly warrant mentioning in a "We have roaming there!" list (i.e. Vatican City, Monaco, etc) when it could be from a single tower on the border. I'm also willing to bet there are a good number of countries that do not have cell phone service at all - Pitcairn Islands, Nauru, Tuvalu, etc. So 205 = bull****.

Sheesh. At least it shows AT&T is aware of the direction the winds are blowing.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    What's funny is that the Instinct succeeded pretty much in spite of those lame ads. It is still a top seller for Sprint, and the primary engine of those Simply Everything plans.
    I seriously doubt that. SPRINT never released the numbers.
    If they sold couple of millions , they be bragging.

Many folks returned it with in the 30 day period.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The iPhone OS has always had multitasking. Developers just aren't allowed to run stuff in the background.
    I've always had the physical ability to go into a bank and insist they give me large sums of money. Unfortunately, those pesky laws keep getting in the way. Thus, I'm poor.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I doubt though,
    lets not talk about technical possibilities of the phone, lets talk about current hardware software the phone has.
    As of now , iPhone doesn't have it.

When they implement it , boy billion applications will have an impact ( both positive and negative).
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I've always had the physical ability to go into a bank and insist they give me large sums of money. Unfortunately, those pesky laws keep getting in the way. Thus, I'm poor.
    +1
    "not intuitive" - aahhh!!! this sounds like the other (irrational) belief that all phones must be slim.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post

1. Multitasking
    2. Multitasking
    3. Multitasking
    4. Multitasking
    5. Multitasking
    6. Multitasking

And one last one...

Multitasking
    oh yeah, couldn't agree more.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I seriously doubt that. SPRINT never released the numbers.
    If they sold couple of millions , they be bragging.

Many folks returned it with in the 30 day period.
    Carriers: Sprint and T-Mobile | Sramana Mitra on Strategy

"The PDA and Touch device category ARPU exceeds $80, and the number of CDMA subscribers with PDA and touch devices grew 125%. Sprint’s industry-leading CDMA data ARPU of $17.75 has grown by 21%. The Smartphone and Touch categories accounted for about 30% of its handheld device sales, driven by strong sales from Instinct and HTC Touch Pro."

That's for Q4 2008, BTW - well after the Instinct launched, so if it's still driving their ARPU and sales figures, it's safe to say it's a success. The total number of Instincts sold is unknown, but it set a sales record at Best Buy, and Best Buy is pushing the new Instinct S30 as well. Plus, a super-Instinct with 5mp cam and a different OS is dropping on Sprint later this year. Not the signs of failure. As an "iPhone killer"? Yes. But not as an independent handset.
    For those who were momentarily perplexed by the acronym ARPU like I, it stands for "average revenue per user."
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I doubt though,
    lets not talk about technical possibilities of the phone, lets talk about current hardware software the phone has.

When they implement it , boy billion applications will have an impact ( both positive and negative).
    What's frustrating is that the iPhone DOES have it, but it's limited to Apple core apps. You get something awesome off the app store like Pandora or the supposedly upcoming Hulu app...you're just SOL.

Essentially, as an iPhone user, you're a child:

"Wait...why can't I do X?"
    "Because I said so."
    I don't see how this proves any fear on AT&T or Apple's parts.

They're preparing a game plan. Prep work sounds like the only rational response to an opponent - whether one considers that opponent to be much of a threat or not.

Not preparing would be lazy and stupid.

The content is weak in some areas, but there are weaknesses in any offense or defense - some more conspicuous than others.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I doubt though,

The iPhone OS is based on the Mac OS X which itself is based on the NeXt OS. The NeXt OS was built on the MACH micro kernal from Carnagie Mellon University (with BSD apis and an an Objective C based GUI toolkit).

From wikipedia

Mach is an operating system microkernel developed at Carnegie Mellon University to support operating system research, primarily distributed and parallel computation. It is one of the earliest examples of a microkernel, and still the standard by which similar projects are measured.

"The project at Carnegie Mellon ran from 1985 to 1994, ending with Mach 3.0. A number of other efforts have continued Mach research, including the University of Utah's Mach 4. Mach was developed as a replacement for the kernel in the BSD version of UNIX, so no new operating system would have to be designed around it. Today further experimental research on Mach appears ended, although Mach and its derivatives are in use in a number of commercial operating systems, such as NEXTSTEP and OPENSTEP, and most notably Mac OS X (using the XNU kernel). The Mach virtual memory management system was also adopted by the BSD developers at CSRG, and appears in modern BSD-derived UNIX systems, such as FreeBSD. Neither Mac OS X nor FreeBSD maintain the microkernel structure pioneered in Mach, although Mac OS X continues to offer microkernel Inter-Process Communication and control primitives for use directly by applications"

Mach (kernel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Windows NT was also originally based on a microkernal architecture. Commercial OS implementations have moved away from that approach due to performance issues switching the CPU between user and kernal mode.

Some Apple applications on the IPhone do use multitasking for background processing (e.g. the Phone App, the Music player, the service that can talk to Exchange Server). Third Party apps are not allowed too.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I don't see how this proves any fear on AT&T or Apple's parts.

They're preparing a game plan. Prep work sounds like the only rational response to an opponent - whether one considers that opponent to be much of a threat or not.

Not preparing would be lazy and stupid.

The content is weak in some areas, but there are weaknesses in any offense or defense - some more conspicuous than others.
    I don't think it's wrong that AT&T is preparing a game plan to counter the Pre, because it's obvious the Pre will be a pretty major contender when it comes out. The problem with what they're doing is creating a list of complete and utter BS to train their sales people with. There are couple benefits to the iphone/AT&T vs Pre/Sprint, so if they really want, they can focus on those. To say things like "the gestures are not intuitive" is just going to **** off knowledgeable customers. I'd be personally insulted if I was an AT&T customer and they tried feeding me this kind of BS.

Off hand, I would say that the iphone/AT&T benefits are: larger screen, 16GB storage space, and having a leg up on apps. If they were smart, they'd also add on being able to use voice/data at the same time.

Unfortunately for Apple/AT&T, if they're going to get into a comparison war, they are going to run into a HUGE problem. The iphone just doesn't have the same capability and features as the Pre.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The total number of Instincts sold is unknown, but it set a sales record at Best Buy, and Best Buy is pushing the new Instinct S30 as well.

While sprint keep claiming "best selling " ... i wouldn't seriously consider that.
    If they really sold them well and kept adding customers , they would have given numbers. ATT & APPLE publicize the numbers. ATT & APPLE provide specific numbers ( like they sold 5 million in three months of 2009).

I respectfully disagree with anyone who says sprint sold instincts and made money. Sure they might have sold them , but who is counting the returns.
    I can name a sprint store that had 60 % returns on the instincts they sold.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast