Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What are the odds that the REAL reason for the Pre not having an SD slot is that they needed room for a WiMax chip? Maybe thats part of the whole "no one can hold the pre but us" thing? It would be the surprise to trounce all surprises. No one would THINK to look for it. Of course they aren't going to advertise that until it is fully baked...and then now it just makes for a "wow" factor

OK probably not...but at least I got it off my chest.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    probably not
    Yeah, the odds are not good
    Yep, the odds are somewhere between slim and none.
    as cool as that would be, not gonna happen.
    Not exactly that excited even if true because wimax isn't coming to my area anytime soon. I'm sure that's true of a lot of areas. Why put the chip in then?

Yeah, ok..to ensure future compatibility. But you do want people to buy future webOS phones right?
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Not exactly that excited even if true because wimax isn't coming to my area anytime soon. I'm sure that's true of a lot of areas. Why put the chip in then?

Yeah, ok..to ensure future compatibility. But you do want people to buy future webOS phones right?
    you're right.
    I don't know about the states, but europe is going for lte instead of wimax. So if palm really sacrificed the sd-reader for a chip we'll never use, then they can expect europeans to get very mad at them. unless they have an lte chip for the european version maybe. but I'd still rather have micro-sd then an lte chip.
    The reason that I can figure for there being no SD slot in the pre was the overall thickness of the phone. But that's just personal speculation.

As for Wimax.......I think that there's a very very small chance it'll be stock in the pre, as sprint goes out of their way to advertise that they've got 4g in their new ads. Also Palm's obviously hiding something with the no touch policy, they've got some nugget of info that they're holding onto until release.
    all the reasons for the Pre not having microSD is total BS. It's obvious that Palm is taking a page out of Apple's "how to make money" handbook. I don't fault them for doing it, but i just wish they didn't lie so much about it. The truth is microSD would take almost no space. It would take about as little as a GSM sim card (which sprint won't have anyways). Palm saw how well Apple has done with their incremental updates, and they want in on that action. There's a reason Palm is starting out at 8GB internal... it's cause 16GB is right around the corner. They'll follow that with 32GB and so on. They'll have to keep chasing Apple. Not everyone will purchase the 16GB update, but they're counting on a pretty good chunk of people that will want the latest and greatest, whether they need it or not. It's worked for apple, so why not Palm?
    I don't know why Palm won't let anyone hold the Pre, but my ever hopeful love of my previous Palm products (including the wrist PDA from Fossil) says "oh please, let there be something very good that will surprise everyone." WiMax would be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

Sprint will have WiMax in the following cities by the end of 2009:

Atlanta, Chicago, Charlotte, Dallas/Ft.Worth, Honolulu, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, Portland and Seattle.

The following cities will be rolled out in 2010:

Boston, Houston, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.

That's 35+ million people who will have access to WiMax by the end of this year.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Sprint will have WiMax in the following cities by the end of 2009:

Atlanta, Chicago, Charlotte, Dallas/Ft.Worth, Honolulu, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, Portland and Seattle.

The following cities will be rolled out in 2010:

Boston, Houston, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.

That's 35+ million people who will have access to WiMax by the end of this year.
    I don't see anything close to Ohio on that list. <_<

"'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    I don't see anything close to Ohio on that list. <_<

They could launch in other cities in 2010. Just depends on how well the 2009 rollouts go.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Ahh..no Miami? Miami is 6 million by itself with tons of tourism. SoFla has almost 10 million users that love to spend money.
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    Ahh..no Miami? Miami is 6 million by itself with tons of tourism. SoFla has almost 10 million users that love to spend money.
    what's more surprising is that Los Angeles isn't even on that list. I dunno what the heck they're thinking. Personally I'd be ecstatic if they brought it to San Diego, but I'm sure that's no where near the top of their list. We do have a lot of wealthy people and tech companies here though, so it would be an awesome place to have 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post
    I don't know why Palm won't let anyone hold the Pre, but my ever hopeful love of my previous Palm products (including the wrist PDA from Fossil) says "oh please, let there be something very good that will surprise everyone." WiMax would be cool.
    What about the Pre being a worldphone like the BB8830 or the Samsung Ace I-325, now that would be a nice surprise! Adding GSM, We have not seen the approval from FCC yet guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    What are the odds that the REAL reason for the Pre not having an SD slot is that they needed room for a WiMax chip? Maybe thats part of the whole "no one can hold the pre but us" thing? It would be the surprise to trounce all surprises. No one would THINK to look for it. Of course they aren't going to advertise that until it is fully baked...and then now it just makes for a "wow" factor

OK probably not...but at least I got it off my chest.
    wow, what have you been drinking?

As I have said before, Sprint isn't looking for phones to be equipped with wimax right now, just data cards.
    the reason it doesn't have sd slot is because iPhone does not have sd slot.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post
    Palm and sprint have said that they are not letting other people hold it so they can make sure that everyone has an equal opportunity and not letting one company have any more hands-on time, than the other. They're trying to be "fair"
    I love lolcats
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zionixi View Post
    Palm and sprint have said that they are not letting other people hold it so they can make sure that everyone has an equal opportunity and not letting one company have any more hands-on time, than the other. They're trying to be "fair"
    Yesss, "fair". We're trying to be "Fair". That's the ticket!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast