1.    #1  
    A dveloper just confirmed that he developed a Twitter client for the Pre on Precentral in the comments
    http://www.precentral.net/developers-webos-lives-hype

I've been developing a twitter client for the Pre over the last couple weeks, and I can attest that it's an awesome developer experience. The best part is that you basically develop it all in Safari 4 with their excellent web inspector, so the rev time is very quick. And it really is all JavaScript and HTML, so except for having to learn the particulars of the Mojo framework, widgets, and classes, it's just like normal web programming. And they really do seem to give you "full access" as a developer, e.g. I can (and will) add Plaxo as a first-class synergy data source for contacts and calendar and hook into their core sync and data engines. So while like any new platform, it has a learning curve and sometimes behaves in unexpected ways, overall I'm thrilled as a developer and I'd say it does indeed live up to the hype!

Submitted by Joseph Smarr
    And they really do seem to give you "full access" as a developer, e.g. I can (and will) add Plaxo as a first-class synergy data source for contacts and calendar and hook into their core sync and data engines.
    This makes me very excited. Not as a Plaxo user (which I'm not), but the fact that I can add something like Plaxo (or Yahoo or Windows Live or...) as an equal to Google and Facebook in Synergy makes me very very VERY happy.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Just the first of the awesomeness we are going to see in the coming months!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    wuzzah!!
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    I hope they make a nice YouTube app, and maybe a MySpace one that'll be as integrated as Facebook is! MySpace would be stupid not to....doubt they will let Facebook have the Pre to their own!

Quite frankly, I don't quite understand the obsession behind Twitter, I really don't!
    me neither. Facebook status is better since you have more features than just a tweet
    ps nice camaro manny
    Thanks! Had it since new, not stock.
  9.    #9  
    I hope other developers will chime in just too get an idea what kind of apps we can expect. I would also wanna hear from at least one iPhone developer as to how easy/hard it is too port over an app to webOS, or if they have to rebuild from scrach.
    Actually Tweeting is no longer a frivolous activity. If one is selective on who one is following, there's a mine of useful info being twitted out there e.g. breaking news and even medical tweets e.g. bbheath, mdconsult etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    I hope other developers will chime in just too get an idea what kind of apps we can expect. I would also wanna hear from at least one iPhone developer as to how easy/hard it is too port over an app to webOS, or if they have to rebuild from scrach.
    The iPhone SDK is based on a set of traditional GUI APIs implemented in Objective C (sort of a cross between Smalltalk and C++) so you should expect that almost all apps will have to be rebuilt from scratch.

BTW The software technolgy in the iPhone is based on the NeXt workstation that was the hot technology back in the late 80's. It was very advanced compared to the Sun Workstations and Macs of that time (the PC world was a complete mess then).
    I've been eyeing the new camaro. That car will save GM's hinnie
    Quote Originally Posted by nosepicker View Post
    I've been eyeing the new camaro. That car will save GM's hinnie
    Nothing but fed-guided bankruptcy is going to save GM's hinnie. I see Ford overtaking GM sales by the end of 2010.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    They need to file for bankruptcy and to restructure. The new camaro will eat the stang alive, I just worry they missed the curve.
    They need to file for bankruptcy and to restructure. The new camaro will eat the stang alive, I just worry they missed the curve.
    Nah, while the Camaro is a marginally better car than the Mustang, it's not "eat alive" better. Besides, in the evolving automotive market, it's not cars like the Camaro or Challenger or Mustang that will make or break a company - think Ford Fiesta and Honda Insight. Small, affordable, efficient people movers. There will always be a market for Camaros and Mustangs, but they are not (and never have been) the back bone of the companies, just the pretty crystal crowns.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    wrong forum, but I love the subject so i will continue it a little.

I think that the camaro definitely missed its window. The challenger is amazing and I actually like its lines way better than the camaro. I love those back tail lights mmmmm...

But the fact of the matter is, people have been waiting for that thing since 2006. We are now 3 years in the process. People have bought there new "throw-backs" Mustang, Challenger... Even though they're not throw backs, people also bought there muscled Chargers, 300c's and GTO... the Camaro is just not gonna sell in the market that we have. Definitely not v-8.... I'm sorry. I know it stings... v-6 camaro? eww.... but thats the only thing i see them sell.

and I've said my peace.
    I love lolcats
    I wish i knew something about camaro's :-)

This is a really good to see ; developers getting excited about what they can do w/ the pre. This is the 1st step, the next step is what kind of money they can make.

also - we still have the unknown. Will these programs crash a webos app, like the current Palm OS can be crashed by 3rd party apps.? if they do, forget it
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The iPhone SDK is based on a set of traditional GUI APIs implemented in Objective C (sort of a cross between Smalltalk and C++) so you should expect that almost all apps will have to be rebuilt from scratch.

BTW The software technolgy in the iPhone is based on the NeXt workstation that was the hot technology back in the late 80's. It was very advanced compared to the Sun Workstations and Macs of that time (the PC world was a complete mess then).
    I was of the understanding that Objective-C was a super-set of C, so that any apps developed intelligently using C (i.e. apps where the User Interface is completely separate from the code that does most of the work) can be re-coded for the iPhone with a few API changes. The only area that would need a complete rebuild is the UI, really.

Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    also - we still have the unknown. Will these programs crash a webos app, like the current Palm OS can be crashed by 3rd party apps.? if they do, forget it
    God I hope not! Biggest advantage of WM: A crashing app doesn't take down the whole goddamn OS. I'd be surprised if any modern OS would collapse just because a single app crashed, especially in this case as they're not even native code.
  19.    #19  
    I wish we can hear from ONE iPhone developer that's also developing for webOS with the sdk early program.