Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am use to listening to Sirius on my Sprint Touch using a program to access Sirius. I do have a Sirius account and can listen online. I am definitely getting the PRE, but will the PRE be able to get Sirius through the Sirius website. I can assume their won't be an APP available for a while. I think you need a flash player for it to work through the browser.

Since their will be an emulator inside WebOS, is their an app that was made for PalmOS?

Please let me know if anyone knows any answers, or I am just going to have to wait until the PRE comes out to see if it works.
    thats a good question, i too am curious. However, i think this has been discussed, i just do not recall the answer.
    Here is what bugs me about Sirius. They want more money for the CD quality stream....but....you only get that one the computer, and not in the car. I have about 4 grand in the sound system in my car, and I guess the rule of thumb is, the better your system, the more you hear how crappy it sounds. When satellite radio first came out, people at the places selling it all said "you have to listen to it, the difference is like night and day". Yeah.... the old fashioned radio sounds better! So considering you get Sirius to listen to in your car, why should I pay more for a CD Quality stream that I can only enjoy on the computer??

Corporate Bastards!
    I do believe that some of the Sirius channels are bundled in with Sprint TV though there has been some changes too of the Sprint TV lineup recently, so I'm not sure.

As of yet, there has not been an announcement of a Sirius application for the Pre. There definitely is not one for Palm OS.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Hopefully the developers behind StarPlayr might give the Pre a look over. They got rejected by Apple for the iPhone app. I use StarPlayr on my MacBook Air, I already pay Sirius for a subscription it's crazy that they want to charge subscribers to listen when it's always been free. I still listen for free using StarPlayr. Maybe they'll take an interest in the webOS and Pre since Apple and Sirius gave them the shaft.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    Maybe they'll take an interest in the webOS and Pre since Apple and Sirius gave them the shaft.
    I suspect that will happen with several developers of apps that 'conflicted' with Apple's interests (i.e. iTunes sales).
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    I suspect that will happen with several developers of apps that 'conflicted' with Apple's interests (i.e. iTunes sales).
    Exactly. The smart thing that Palm has done is have an App Store on the device so there is some kind of approval process that will please Sprint, and Palm, but also allowing "side loading" of apps on to the Pre. Kind of like what us jailbroken iPhone users do. Palm realizes it's in their best interest to create an iPhone App Store like way of getting apps, but unlike Apple they'll also allow people to "side load" apps on the Pre.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Here is what bugs me about Sirius. They want more money for the CD quality stream....but....you only get that one the computer, and not in the car. I have about 4 grand in the sound system in my car, and I guess the rule of thumb is, the better your system, the more you hear how crappy it sounds. When satellite radio first came out, people at the places selling it all said "you have to listen to it, the difference is like night and day". Yeah.... the old fashioned radio sounds better! So considering you get Sirius to listen to in your car, why should I pay more for a CD Quality stream that I can only enjoy on the computer??

Corporate Bastards!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Slightly off topic.... but why bother with Sirius if you can just use services like Shoutcast? I use it on my Sprint Touch with Kinomaplay and a lot of stations are available at 128 kps or even 192! (and it's FREE)

I hope Pandoras sound quality is better on the Pre version than it is on the WinMo version, because that's just about how Sirius sounds not just on my Touch (with Starplayr) but also in my car. I was listening to some Top 40 station last night while driving home...and some songs sounded excruciatingly bad! Solution...turn the radio off (nevermind having to PAY for it monthly), and just listen to the V8 camming and scaring ricers.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    I do believe that some of the Sirius channels are bundled in with Sprint TV though there has been some changes too of the Sprint TV lineup recently, so I'm not sure.

As of yet, there has not been an announcement of a Sirius application for the Pre. There definitely is not one for Palm OS.
    Sirius Mobile (and XM Mobile on AT&T, Alltel, and BlackBerrys), at least in the past, were not direct simulcasts of the actual channels that they were supposedly mirrors, but actually separate jukebox stations with much smaller playlists aimed at ADD listeners who wanted to hear hits-style music in the genres they were listening to fast - in other words, the damned teens and their new-fangled musicphones... (Get off my lawn!)

Now, that changed a bit when XM rolled out the BB app, because it also offered live simulcasts of XM Comedy (now Raw Dog) and The ViRUS (AKA The Opie & Anthony Show and the Ron & Fez Show). I do not know if that change affected the other stations or the other devices that offered XM Mobile, because I've never had a device that could use it. But I did have Sirius Mobile on my old Samsung A900 (ahhh, the Blade - the only RAZR copycat that got it right), and it was 100% inferior to actual sat-rad.

(Note - I'm a highly bigoted XM Radio fan who believes that Sirius was, is, and will forever be a steaming pile of crap - commercial-free FM radio with short playlists and dumb morning-zoo-style jocks - whereas XM had wonderfully deep playlists and intelligent, soft-spoken but informative DJs pre-merger, so maybe I'm not the best one to ask about Sirius Mobile...)

Back on topic...

The problem with developing a SIR/XMRO app for any mobile device is two-fold - first, you need a way to talk to Siri-XM's servers, authenticating your stream and accessing channel and stream data; then second, you need either a way to play WMA natively, or a system to live-transcode the WMA stream into a format your device can play, and then rebroadcast the converted, device-friendly stream to your device.

The Windows Mobile players have it easy - they can play WMA til the cows come home, so all developers had to figure out was talking to the SIR/XMRO servers, which is pretty simple stuff. Other devices, however, have to deal with a transcoding service, because pretty much nothing else (modern, at least) supports WMA natively. Now, if the device supports codec adding, devs could license the WMA codec for their users' use and add it in (a la Kinoma Player), but of course, Apple insists on the iPhone that devs are worthless piles of dog doo-doo and should have no rights to add any functionality that the great Jobs doesn't deem fit. (Oops, did I say that out loud?) Thus, for iPhone apps to stream SIR or XMRO, they would have to transcode into either AAC or MP3, so that the native QuickTime player could play the streams. (which would work out great for us Pre users, since the Pre supports both as well)

NiceMac had built up an entire service, called StreamSmart, which was supposed to be the Holy Grail for SIR/XMRO streaming - you would give StreamSmart your log-in info (which it encrypted so it was safe), and it would log-in to XMRO or SIR for you, receive the stream, transcode it into any format necessary, and then send it onto your player, with additional features like lyrics or album art thrown in as value-adds.

It was pretty brilliant, if possibly a little hard to imagine scaling to a few hundred thousand or even million users. Unfortunately, Siri-XM decided to finally use a little clause in their TOS on their online service to shut them down. (This is most hysterical, because there is a rather large underground community of XMRO and SIR apps that has been around for years without a hint of pushback by Siri-XM - in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if 10% or more of the traffic that XMRO gets is from apps like the XM Online Vista Gadget, XaMp Studio, and StarPlayr.)

Now, where we stand is that Siri-XM has promised to release an iPhone OS app for their streaming services by the end of this quarter - whether that means release to users or release to Apple's joke of an review process is unknown. But what this means is that Siri-XM will likely begin offering MP3 or AAC streams direct from their own servers, although they might be coming from some secret addresses to throw off homebrewers who might want to jump on them. So, it may be that making a Pre app could be reduced to figuring out a way to impersonate the iPhone app and use its streams.

Man that was a rambling, long post...

Corporate Bastards!
    ahhah, Now I know what will slow you down sonny.. haha
    The sound system? That's just traction control!
    what I have been wondering is will the pre have flash support.
    flash support has been announced, but last i heard it hasn't been confirmed for being there on release
    Slightly off topic.... but why bother with Sirius if you can just use services like Shoutcast? I use it on my Sprint Touch with Kinomaplay and a lot of stations are available at 128 kps or even 192! (and it's FREE)
    Because sirius has different content than shoutcast. its not always about music. the talk radio, wether and traffic, cnn, msnbc and lots more stuff.
    its not always about music. the talk radio, wether and traffic, cnn, msnbc and lots more stuff.
    yeah, but shoutcast is about a lot more than music

talk radio? there are dozens, probably hundreds, of talk radio stations on shoutcast, from online only to commercial station simulcasts.
    traffic? maybe i'm spoiled, but in seattle i can check traffic flows from either the department of transportation website or on google maps. hopefully the custom palmos app that gets the direct information on traffic flow from the DOT will be ported to webos. listening to a satellite station for traffic reports seems, odd. if i wanted local traffic and weather the 6 simulcast local stations on shoutcast would seem a more logical choice.

i really appreciate shoutcast for the old time radio drama channels, even better than audio books for long boring drives.
    yeah, but shoutcast is about a lot more than music
    Sometimes people have preferences. not everyone wants to listen to shoutcast, just as not everyone wants to listen to sirius. it shouldn't bother you that some people want a sirius or xm app.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by errhead View Post
    talk radio? there are dozens, probably hundreds, of talk radio stations on shoutcast, from online only to commercial station simulcasts.
    Can I get Opie & Anthony on Shoutcast? No. Can I get Ron & Fez on Shoutcast? No. Can I (hypothetically, I never would actually do so) get Howard Stern on Shoutcast? No. How about the Lazlow Show, the Covino & Rich Show, Jay Thomas, Deepak Chopra, Scott Ferrall, etc., etc., etc...

As much as I despise what Mel Karmazin has done to this company, he knows better than anyone else in the radio industry that talent sells (cliche as it is, the phrase rings true: content is king), and there are people - including myself - who are willing to pay a monthly fee to hear the content that they love, nationwide, even in the middle of nowhere where there's no EV-DO or HSDPA (or even 1xRTT/EDGE, in a lot of cases...).

I can understand why a lot of people would be unable to understand why people would pay for radio - frankly, I did for several years myself. But then I finally just gave in and threw myself at it, influenced heavily by my discovery and subsequent enjoyment of O&A on FM. And you know what? I finally got it - satellite radio is a service that requires a paradigm shift to truly enjoy - if we are willing to pay monthly to get better and different video content (cable/satellite TV), why not do the same for audio content? Unfortunately, that necessary change in thinking is what locks it down to a relatively niche audience.
    i dunno any of those poeple so i can't say for sure
    i know i can get all the right wing folk easy enough, multiple channels/time delays of savage/limbaugh/beck/levin/ingrams/etc
    if those folk you were talking about are popular i'd assume their stations are available on shoutcast as well

well, the opie and anthony show is on wrox, which is on shoutcast, listening now.
    most of those others appear to be satellite only, so you have a good point about people with specific content needs that are a sirius monopoly
    Last edited by errhead; 04/22/2009 at 07:52 AM.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by errhead View Post
    well, the opie and anthony show is on wrox, which is on shoutcast, listening now
    No it isn't, unless it's some pirate feed that some dumb "pest" put up. (Or it may be a feed of older shows from their FM days that the pest community put up.) O&A are SXM-exclusive since last month, when CBS Radio stopped simulcasting the first half of their show (and replaced it with a Top 40 station - just what NYC needs - another station to play Lady GaGa and that stupid New Jersey song... I guess that's what's hip "NOW"...).

Also, have fun getting those Shoutcast stations in the middle of nowhere - despite what we lucky city-dwellers may think, 3G is still a developing technology, one that's primarily deployed in city/large town markets at the moment. Great for commuters, but when you get out on the open highway (or even worse, some rinky-dink 2-lane road), you're gonna find that those Shoutcast stations will barely work on 1xRTT or EDGE, if you can even get those services - have fun getting any cell service at all on some of the lonely country roads in the Midwest or the SoCal deserts. Meanwhile, I'll be cruising along rocking my tunes and hearing my talk radio, all broadcast in pure digital stereo from 62 miles high.

Sure, there's the occasional signal obstruction (sorta sucks pulling into a fast food drive thru and hearing your signal drop out), but being able to hit the open road for a long roadtrip and never having to touch the dial to change stations is a sublime experience that every person needs to experience to truly appreciate.
    Last edited by Libb; 04/22/2009 at 07:59 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast