1.    #1  
    I found it here April 2009-Verizon Wireless Get out of ETF with the picture and video messaging fee increase! - SlickDeals.net Forums

April 2009-Verizon Wireless Get out of ETF with the picture and video messaging fee increase!
    This is being discussed in a previous Deal Talk thread Link, but I did not not see a thread dedicated to this. If there is one, please mod alert and delete.

I just did this an hour ago, and was let out of my contract after only 20 minutes on the phone with two different people. I had to change my wireless plan from unlimited messaging to a plan where I was able to add a quota messaging plan in order to qualify for this. I downgraded online to the plan where you add the messaging bundle for $5, $10 or $15/month. I made the changes effective for 4/27 (which was my next billing cycle start date), and even though the change was not effective yet, they still waived the ETF.

In any event, in the latest bill, there is a change in pricing, which states:

"Picture and Video Messaging Pricing Change
    Effective 05/03/09, when you send a picture or video message to multiple
    recipients, you will be charged once for each recipient. If you already have
    a messaging bundle, these messages will apply towards your bundle
    quota. If you are on a Pay-as-You go plan or exceed your bundle quota,
    you will be charged $.25 per recipient. " (Thanks MLaritz)

This is a price change (See below) and therefore falls under the wonderful "material adverse effect" clause of the contract.

Our Rights to Make Changes

Your service is subject to our business policies, practices and procedures, which we can change without notice. UNLESS OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW, WE CAN ALSO CHANGE PRICES AND ANY OTHER CONDITIONS IN THIS AGREEMENT AT ANY TIME BY SENDING YOU WRITTEN NOTICE PRIOR TO THE BILLING PERIOD IN WHICH THE CHANGES WOULD GO INTO EFFECT. IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE YOUR SERVICE AFTER THAT POINT, YOU'RE ACCEPTING THE CHANGES. IF THE CHANGES HAVE A MATERIAL ADVERSE EFFECT ON YOU, HOWEVER, YOU CAN END THE AFFECTED SERVICE, WITHOUT ANY EARLY TERMINATION FEE, JUST BY CALLING US WITHIN 60 DAYS AFTER WE SEND NOTICE OF THE CHANGE. (from Verizon's website)

The Tier 0 rep did was unable to do anything, so I spoke to a supervisor. I explained to the rep who at first, stated the "material adverse effect" clause only applies to "plan changes" not messaging. I calmly explained to him that this was not in the original contract I signed, and if I were to exceed the quota, the exceeded money would have a material adverse effect on me. He then said "Well, we're talking about possibilities here and no guarantees that you will exceed." I said "Well, what if I do one month, then I will have a material adverse effect on me." He put me on hold, then tried to get me back to my old plan which was unlimited messaging to anyone. I simply told him I downgraded because I couldn't afford the plan I previously had, and that changing plans was not an option. He put me on hold again, and came back and that is when I explained the following to him. When I did, he confirmed that the price increase statement means the following:

If you're on a quota messaging plan (let's say, 500, as in my case), currently any picture/video messages you send to more than one recipient counts as one message deducted from your total bundle, and if your exceed your quota, you're charged $.25 per message, regardless of now many people you send the pic/vid message to. (If you send a picture message to 5 people how, it counts as one picture message, and if it exceeds your quota, you would incur a charge of $.25, the price of one picture message)

After 5/3/09, however, any picture/video message sent to more than one recipient deducts from your message bundle as one message per recipient and if you exceed the quota, you will be charged $.25/per recipient (If you send a picture message to 5 people, it will count as 5 separate messages. If you exceed your quota, and send a picture message to 5 people, the single message would count as 5 separate picture messages, and a charge of $.25 per message will be incurred, making the total cost for the 'one' message $1.25).

After this explanation, he put me on hold one more time, and in about three minutes, he came back and said "As a one time courtesy, we'll waive the ETF for you." He then notated the account, and we parted ways.

I hope this helps other people out. Please post success stories and failures in here.
    Hmm, maybe I don't have to wait until July..... Muhhahahahaha!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    Hmm, maybe I don't have to wait until July..... Muhhahahahaha!!!
    Be careful how you do this because you could have problems porting your number as the porting does the cancelling of your account and the problem becomes that you can't port until you're out of contract.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  4.    #4  
    I could care less if I got a new number. But it would be nice if you could keep it. You never know where another number has been
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Be careful how you do this because you could have problems porting your number as the porting does the cancelling of your account and the problem becomes that you can't port until you're out of contract.
    Yeah that's pretty much my concern right now, porting my numbers over. I actually don't mind waiting until my contract is over in July but my girls line is due in July of next year. I was planning on getting 2 Pre phones for ourselves. According to this I have 60 days after the change which would give PALM enough time to release the damn thing which should be in May or June.

The lady that posted this said they noted her account which is a good thing. I just tell Sprint to port our #'s over then whoever is in charge of cancellations can see our accounts were noted with ETF waived. I'm definitely going to do some research before taking the plunge.
    Quote Originally Posted by nosepicker View Post
    "As a one time courtesy, we'll waive the ETF for you."
    Bah! it's called living up to the contract you signed, not a "one time courtesy"
    loser lol

to the OP, nice job beating verizon at their own game!
    It's post like this that convince me going unlocked GSM is the only way to go. Sure they hang a $100 rebate carrot and a discounted price carrot in front of you hoping that you'll bite.

I'll never buy anything other than an unlocked GSM.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

I called and they won't listen to me at all. As a matter a fact, when I got to a manager they wouldn't let me talk to anyone else and said that they would notate my account accordingly so that they will continue to advise me of the same thing. They have done that before. I have spoken to managers who threaten to do that and then you can call 50 times, they won't transfer you and all they do is repeat the notes over and over. They over withdrew 2500.00 from me a couple months ago. It took them 3 weeks to refund it and I was the criminal. I may just pay the ETF just to get away from them.
    i despise vzw.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    You can port your number at any time during or after your contract is up. If you port during your contract, your risk paying the ETF.
    I have recently tried this with Verion. I downgrdd my unlimited txt plan to a txt bundle (500). Then called 4 days later and spoke to 4 different people and they would not allow me to cancel and waive the etf. This was about an hour conversation of her going back and forth with me saying no and me saying you are not following your own contract she just kept repeating that she will not waive the fee and that my plan would not be affected by this change. I also brought up the FUSC change and still nothing.

I decided to call back like 10 minutes later and try again, I got a nice guy whos computer just crashed he was the first person i talked to, I made jokes about the blue screen of death he was experiencing and just talked to him. I explained to him i couldnt afford my bill anymore and he tried to convince me that other plan would be better. I simply told him that I cant afford the bill any more due to job loss "wink wink" he said i understand put me on hold for a minute then he returned and said we would give you 2 free months of service i said no and then he said okay we will note your account and waive the Early Termination Fee, my account would automatically close at the end of my billing cycle so now i can port to ATT for iphone. : ) this deffinitly works and is very helpful Thank You to all who posted.
    Not even going to wait for the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Not even going to wait for the Pre?

After reading the posts I figured it was worth a shot so I called Verizon and spoke to a CSR who at first seemed to not understand the point I was making about the rise in the picture text rates. She told me" We've been charging >25 for quite some time" I then had to read her the paragraph outlining the change. She put me on hold, came back and agreed that was the new policy. I then explained that I wanted to excercise my right to opt out. She again put me on hold. This time a bit longer, came back and said that yes I did have the right to cancel my service without ETF. She put me on hold one additional time and came back with a supervisor that took me through the remaining steps. I was able to port over my numbers with ATT and to my new iPhone I called again to verify that it was written in the notes for my account that they will be waiving the ETF. They get you in the end as they initially charge you the ETF, then you have to wait until the next month's bill for it to be credited back. Let's just hope they hold up their end of the bargain. I'll report back if they don't
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    I just did this and IT WORKED! Took about 20 minutes. My wife was in a contract with VZW until 6/10 and we're planning on getting Palm Pres on the 6th. I wasn't really looking forward to a $120 ETF.

The level 1 rep obviously didn't know what I was talking about, so she transferred me to a supervisor, whom was reluctant to comply. He said something along the lines of, "You don't even use the MMS capabilities, so this doesn't apply to you." Nice try

I then read off the terms and conditions, and explained my right to opt out within 60 days of the notification. He then got flustered and replied with, "Ok, your account has been disconnected and we'll send you a final bill in the mail. Bye!"

Thanks for posting this!
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    I did this way back when I dumped VZW and switched to Sprint, about 2 years ago (few months later I used the same tactic to switch my wife over to Sprint's SERO). We never had a text messaging plan and back then we didn't text much (she had a RAZR, a pain to text with).

Surprisingly in our case, VZW didn't really wrestle much to let us out (they did try, several times, to convince us with tons of credits, but our mind was set) and even the porting took place within a day -my own number ported within hours, I kid you not.

Ever since I have had nothing but good service from Sprint (albeit we never really need to call them and even then, I try chat first) and coverage around here is great, my dusty Treo 755p beats my friend's iPhones loading websites.
    How to get out? Easy, pay the ETF. Amazes me how so many people try to find loop holes in everything
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    How to get out? Easy, pay the ETF. Amazes me how so many people try to find loop holes in everything
    It was either pay $120 or spend 20 minutes on the phone. I don't make $360/hr, so this was worth it to me.

Besides, if they make changes to your plan, you have every right to opt out of the contract. That's what a contract is. It's even in their terms and conditions. They bank on people not paying attention to these changes and then hammer them in overages. Maybe if they'd get phones other than the Storm or their crippled version of the Touch Pro, I wouldn't have needed to cancel in the first place.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
  19. enjoyingsilence
    I just left Verizon and was fully aware of the recent contractual changes mentioned in the OP's post. And truthfully, I loathe Verizon enough as it is, and had enough problems with them.

In life, you get to a point where you're like (for lack of a better word) screw it. I'm *could* more than likely get out of my contract, with no ETF. But honestly I'm sick of fighting Verizon/Whorizon and their crap customer service, and goodness knows they'll go tit for tat, minute for minute on this one. It was better to just pay them the fees, and be gone with them.

It's just a phone number. I have a grandcentral/google voice account that most of my clients use, and I can always re-inform other people of a new number