Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I know this topic has been discussed before as to the availability of it but I am asking a different question. Being on GSM currently, I dont have a good idea of how important it is to have voice and data at the same time. Im sure I do it. I know I have for example when I am using the speakerphone to speak with someone and using googlemaps at the same time to give them directions. This rarely happens.

The question is How important is being able to use voice and data at the same time? How many times do you actually find this to be a limitation. This is specifically being asked to those on Verizon or Sprint currently, or those who have been on both GSM and CDMA. Is this something that happens daily, where you wish you had it? Does it rarely happen? Is it not a big deal?

Thanks
    Although it's a nice feature, most often if I need to view something on the web while on the phone, I have access to a computer. Usually, the only time I don't have access to a computer is when I'm driving. In that situation, I shouldn't be trying to access the web, anyway. (I have only used CDMA phones.)
    It's not SUCH a big deal because we are not used to it I think. It would definitely be nice to be able to do them together especially with the Pre.
    Like to look up a number while on the phone (had that happen to me afew times allready)
    As Bluetooth sucks right out loud on the 755p, I can't say that I've done much of anything on my phone while talking. Better BT support and a faster web browser might make me want such a capability on the Pre. But I still find that talking and listening requires a lot of my brain power, so the only reason I would look up something on the web would be as part of the conversation, and this is pretty rare.

Now, here's a good one: what if Google Documents is available on the Pre and you want to work on something in real time with a colleague? This is a stretch on a small screen, but it would demand talking and accessing the web at the same time.
    Let's say though that you wanted to travel somewhere and you wanted turn by turn directions. It would be nice since the Pre is supposed to "think ahead for you" and it has aGPS, that it would think to cache(temporarily save) a few of the map tiles ahead of you on your trip, so if you did receive a phone call it would interrupt the turn by turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdezarra View Post
    I know this topic has been discussed before as to the availability of it but I am asking a different question. Being on GSM currently, I dont have a good idea of how important it is to have voice and data at the same time. Im sure I do it. I know I have for example when I am using the speakerphone to speak with someone and using googlemaps at the same time to give them directions.
    To some extent, this is a limitation of Google Maps as much as the CDMA / Pre. Using a Garmin GPS on a 755p, for example, the maps are stored locally, and the GPS data doesn't use the phone radio, so you could talk and get turn-by-turn at the same time. Even with Google, it calculate the entire set of turn-by-turn directions up front. Given how quickly the screen updates, I believe it is caching at least a subset of the maps along your route at the time it calculates the route. Assuming the portion of the route you drive while using the phone doesn't exceed the area cached, this might not be a problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    Like to look up a number while on the phone (had that happen to me afew times allready)
    By look up a number, do you mean in your address book? The Pre will do that (as will the Palm OS). If you mean look up a phone number on the Web, then no, the Pre won't do that.

I think simultaneous voice and data would be nice, but the lack of it isn't a deal breaker. Very rarely do I find myself wishing I could do that with my 755.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 04/21/2009 at 01:53 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply. It is nice to have for sure but I guess isnt something that is really used often enough to make a difference.

Thanks, all.
    It comes down to who you ask. If you ask someone who regularly talk and use their phone for data access, obviously its important and a deal breaker for them to get the CDMA Pre, but for someone that hardly ever do both at the same time, it might not matter so much. With me, I like to talk and carry on a text, or IM at the same time which won't be possible on the Pre. It a big negative for me, but not negative enough to not get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    It comes down to who you ask. If you ask someone who regularly talk and use their phone for data access, obviously its important and a deal breaker for them to get the CDMA Pre, but for someone that hardly ever do both at the same time, it might not matter so much. With me, I like to talk and carry on a text, or IM at the same time which won't be possible on the Pre. It a big negative for me, but not negative enough to not get it.
    With CDMA phones you can talk and text at the same time (at least you can on Sprint).
    Quote Originally Posted by tampaguy75 View Post
    With CDMA phones you can talk and text at the same time (at least you can on Sprint).
    true. I do this all the time. Talking and IMing is a different story, but can't have everything. Hopefully they'll roll out 4G quicker so we'll be able to do both at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post

Now, here's a good one: what if Google Documents is available on the Pre and you want to work on something in real time with a colleague? This is a stretch on a small screen, but it would demand talking and accessing the web at the same time.
    Once you've opened your google document, it should be resident in your phone's memory, where you can work on it to your heart's content. You won't need access to the cloud until you want to save it back. True, Google won't be able to auto-save while you are on the call, but that's not a huge problem.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 04/22/2009 at 03:37 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Thanks for the reply. It is nice to have for sure but I guess isnt something that is really used often enough to make a difference.

Thanks, all.
    One major advantage is that calls won't go straight to voice mail if you are using the data connection for something.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    One major advantage is that calls won't go straight to voice mail if you are using the data connection for something.
    awesome
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    A different way of thinking about this is:

With the pre, which is always on and always gathering information from the cloud, how in the heck are you going to be able to receive any calls?
    A different way of thinking about this is:

With the pre, which is always on and always gathering information from the cloud, how in the heck are you going to be able to receive any calls?
    The data the PrPrPr&#$275$; $is$ $going$ $to$ $gather$ $from$ $the$ $cloud$ $is$ $relatively$ $light$-$weight$ - $phone$ $numbers$, $addresses$, $calendar$ $appointments$ - $it$'$s$ $not$ $going$ $to$ $be$ $downloading$ $all$ $86$,$400$ $seconds$ $of$ $the$ $day$. $So$ $long$ $as$ $it$'$s$ $not$ $downloading$ $something$ $that$ $very$ $exact$ $second$ $you$ $get$ $a$ $call$...
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Thanks, Cap'n!
    For a while now on CDMA, a voice call takes precedence over whatever data stream might be in process when the call comes in. Hence, no missed calls.