1.    #1  
    Will the Pre feature an active stand by home screen where I can see my email, messages, appointments, weather, time, moon phase and such all in real time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Diction View Post
    Will the Pre feature an active stand by home screen where I can see my email, messages, appointments, weather, time, moon phase and such all in real time?
    No, in the standby screen there is just a big clock. There is a video of it somewhere on these forums...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  3.    #3  
    Are you serious? Can it be changed?

I want this to be a productive device, not a pos like the iPhone.
    Yeah. I am a scatterbrained mess if I don't know what today's lunar phase is!

I'm sure there will be a plethora of today screen options from 3rd parties if the one included does not suit you. I know everyone complains about having to get stuff 3rd party, but I don't expect Palm or anyone else for that matter to know exactly what I want for every facet of my device.

That said, Palm, the more user-configurable options, the better!
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    The home screen will show the time AND dashboard notifications, including new emails, new messages, calendar events, and i'm sure weather from some weather app. Any app can put things in the dashboard, so even moon phase is possible when someone writes the app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Modular View Post
    The home screen will show the time AND dashboard notifications, including new emails, new messages, calendar events, and i'm sure weather from some weather app. Any app can put things in the dashboard, so even moon phase is possible when someone writes the app.
    Right, my mistake!

I do really hope we get some kick *** 3rd party stuff!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Yeah, these kind of questions are hard to answer specifically right now because simply we don't know what 3rd party apps will eventually come out or be possible.

I mean, I know on WM a number of the things you said (moon stages, weather) are not natively present but can be done with a 3rd party app. But prior to PPC/WinMo moving from WinCE to an entirely new format it wasn't really possible to know.

My favorite idea is still a "Wild Card" idea that you can configure to display bits of information on it, that essentially can be kept as the "top card" of your deck so you always have some needed information right there for you.
    Are you serious? Can it be changed?

I want this to be a productive device, not a pos like the iPhone.
    I knew I shouldn't have got this pos phone since it doesn't show the moon phase or every single bit of information at a glance including cpu and ram usage.... oh wait, its not out yet...
    No. This isnt windows mobile. Pre uses a dashboard system for those notifications which keeps them available and visible, while not dominating your phone like a today screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Yeah, these kind of questions are hard to answer specifically right now because simply we don't know what 3rd party apps will eventually come out or be possible.

I mean, I know on WM a number of the things you said (moon stages, weather) are not natively present but can be done with a 3rd party app. But prior to PPC/WinMo moving from WinCE to an entirely new format it wasn't really possible to know.

My favorite idea is still a "Wild Card" idea that you can configure to display bits of information on it, that essentially can be kept as the "top card" of your deck so you always have some needed information right there for you.
    I like this idea of the "Wild Card"--would be even cooler if it had a special shortcut to go to it instantly, kind of like Dashboard on Mac OSX. This should be dirt simple to implement on the Pre for anyone who knows the languages.
    Has anyone out there heard any reliable info on the date Palm plans to introduce the Pre? My poor Treo 650 is on its last legs. It's been a trouper but it's time to upgrade... TIA.
    Quote Originally Posted by billwill View Post
    Has anyone out there heard any reliable info on the date Palm plans to introduce the Pre? My poor Treo 650 is on its last legs. It's been a trouper but it's time to upgrade... TIA.
    Current rumors point to May 17, and there's a whole thread for discussion of that over here.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    If it does not have Moon phases, I am not buying! But I will buy it if it can read the mind off the person you are talking to.

14.    #14  
    Damn no moon Phase!?

I just want a today screen. It needs to be productive. It's not a toy.
    Damn no moon Phase!?

I just want a today screen. It needs to be productive. It's not a toy.
    That's what the notification bar is for. That's what Synergy is for. That's what a multi-tasking OS is for. The only reason something like Windows Mobile or Palm OS or Blackberry OS needs a home screen is because it's not easy or intuitive to get all of the information you need quickly - the Pre looks likely to change that.

That said, I have no doubt that an intrepid developer (or a dozen) will create home screen for you to put onto your Pre.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Someone is Werewolf!
    Since they are allowing third party development, I'm sure you'll be able to do whatever you want with it