Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am hoping to switch (in july, when I hit 22 months) but only if the Pre has good reviews and no major hardware/software hiccups. If it doesn't have good reviews, I'll probably stick with a regular ol' dumbphone.

However, anything would be a welcome change from what I use now (Samsung SPH-M300). Its battery life is horrible; one time I didn't use it for an entire day and it still needed recharging the next morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    I am on no fence whatsoever because i'm still rocking a 700Wx that i've been trying to upgrade for 2 years now. Tried everything from a Mogul/Touch/Q9c/Touch Pro and all were disappointing.

So the Pre is a Godsend 'cause it would have been probably Touch Pro 2 for me most likely.
    The Touch Pro 2 does look sweet but its got WinMo which I don't exactly like. The Pre though, will just be too awesome for anyone to handle.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    i jumped over the fence in jan. i love the iphone and will keep that on my work line but the pre will be my main phone. it seems that palm made an iphone and gave it a treo keyboard, the best of both worlds!
    Quote Originally Posted by davetati View Post
    I will buy one for the wife since it will be a big improvement over the Centro for her, and I'll get a chance to play with it and see if I really like it
    omg, i REALLY need to hurry up and get married so i can do the same thing!!
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    The only reason i became interested was from the news that it can run Palm classic OS emulation. This makes it a whole different machine. Without this ability, i wouldn't even bother.
  6.    #46  
    I've become a Godfather, by-extension, so I find myself recording all sorts of cute baby moments with my camcorder. Unfortunately, there's not always time to grab the camcorder. At times like that, the Treo's ability to record video comes in mighty handy... handily... whatever.

The Pre not having video is not the end of the world, but it means that's one less all-in-one element my phone has. In that case, it's a bit of a doozy. I use it so much.

*sigh*
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Diction View Post
    The only reason i became interested was from the news that it can run Palm classic OS emulation. This makes it a whole different machine. Without this ability, i wouldn't even bother.
    Unfortunately the emulation may be of limited utility without hotsync.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Someone asked me why I cared that Bluetooth and gps functionality won't extend into "Classic."

I was curious about how you'd need to use Hotsync through Classic, if you don't mind sharing. Off the top, I can't think of an application (besides contact syncing) for which Hotsyncing would be essential.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Someone asked me why I cared that Bluetooth and gps functionality won't extend into "Classic."

I was curious about how you'd need to use Hotsync through Classic, if you don't mind sharing. Off the top, I can't think of an application (besides contact syncing) for which Hotsyncing would be essential.
    Hotsync is old--I barely use it since I'm using EAS, however, I do still need to use it to sync tasks and notes with Outlook, and there are some good applications that sync up with a desktop application (Docs to Go, Adobe Reader come to mind).
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Hotsync is old--I barely use it since I'm using EAS, however, I do still need to use it to sync tasks and notes with Outlook, and there are some good applications that sync up with a desktop application (Docs to Go, Adobe Reader come to mind).
    I've never synced with D2G and can't imagine the value of syncing AR.
    HotSyncing is fundamental to at least one application that I've come to rely on: Ultrasoft Money (flawlessly syncing with Microsoft Money). It's also the reason that my 650 better not die on me.

I agree that it's not so important with other things.
    Chalk me up as still on the fence. Too many unknowns.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  13.    #53  
    I've gotta say, despite being fairly Pre-agnostic, myself, I still am quite shocked when posters say that the Pre is definitely not for them. I'm blown away.

I should probably see a doctor.

Pocket Quicken is the most important app I would want to Hotsync. It's useless to me otherwise. The other non PIM app I have that uses hotsync is eWallet.

Syncing of WebOS PIM data via the cloud is a seperate issue of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    HotSyncing is fundamental to at least one application that I've come to rely on: Ultrasoft Money (flawlessly syncing with Microsoft Money). It's also the reason that my 650 better not die on me.
    If your 650 does die on you, can't you just buy a 680 or Centro (aka 690).
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davetati View Post
    I will buy one for the wife since it will be a big improvement over the Centro for her, and I'll get a chance to play with it and see if I really like it
    I am planning on buying one for my wife and see how it works.
    I've gotta say, despite being fairly Pre-agnostic, myself, I still am quite shocked when posters say that the Pre is definitely not for them. I'm blown away.
    Shocked??? There are several solid reasons someone may decide a Pre is not for them.

1) No GSM in the US this year.
    2) No Desktop sync
    3) 3rd Party app support such as PocketQuicken
    4) No hard buttons for Phone etc.

Presumably solutions to some of these issues will appear over time.
    Interesting. I just bought my wife an iPod touch which I am using to check out the iPhone OS.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I guess my concern is more with the data than the programs. The videos of the emulator look good, and moving older Palm OS programs onto the Pre will be a matter of drag and drop. However, without the Hotsync, how will I backup data? If the phone is lost or broken, I can replace it and the programs as well. But what about my data???
  20.    #60  
    Shocked??? There are several solid reasons someone may decide a Pre is not for them.

1) No GSM in the US this year.
    2) No Desktop sync
    3) 3rd Party app support such as PocketQuicken
    4) No hard buttons for Phone etc.

Presumably solutions to some of these issues will appear over time.
    Did you miss the parts about my own Pre-agnosticism and seeing a doctor?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast