Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Would palm or a 3rd party developer be able to make a program that would allow the palm pre to be a USB host. This would be cool to be able to plug in a card reader with a 32gb card. Could this be possible?
    probably technically possible, but i dont see it implemented soon
    This has come up before--the hardware has to support it. Not clear whether it does or not. If it does support it, then it's only a matter of time before Palm or someone else provides software to make it work.

Apparently, the 800W has this capability.
    The Maemo guys might be able to help. The MicroUSB OTG standard is supposed to have the microAB plug, which determines the operation mode depending on the cable. But on my N810 I have a utility to force the USB into either Host mode or Peripheral mode without the cable.

If the Pre hardware is OTG capable, then it could be done.

EDIT: just found the cable on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Micro-USB-Host-Ca...3A1|240%3A1318
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    the 800w has this capability?
    Do Android devices have this capability? Wouldn't they be the closest in comparison to hardware support since both OSes are Linux based?
    the Treo 800w, being a true Palm design, has the USB hosts capabilities. Head over to its forum & you'll read it can be a host for USB soundcard, an ultrasonic probe or even a 1TB WD hard disk. The Treo Pro, being a HTC ******* child, can't.

Let's hope Palm don't mess around with TI Omap's USB OnTheGo capability for the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Do Android devices have this capability? Wouldn't they be the closest in comparison to hardware support since both OSes are Linux based?
    The OS is irrelevant, the mainboard / CPU driver is. After all any Linux computer can host any USB devices as long as the drivers exists. Same with iphone, WM or Symbian phones.
    All OnTheGo is is another fancy way of saying a device can USB Host. And mess around how? It's not like there's ever been an announcement that it will be capable of doing so. USB hosting is not a universal feature regardless of what tradename you call it.

Unless you're saying you hope they don't go there in general for fear of screwing up the Pre... Then disregard the above.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    Let's hope Palm don't mess around with TI Omap's USB OnTheGo capability for the Pre.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I am saying I hope Palm gave the Pre USB host capability. A surprise bonus if you will. The CPU is capable & the driver is available. I didn't say Palm claimed / advertised this ability.
    Palm didn't advertise it for 800w either but it works. Advertising "OTG" means that they would have had to go through "OTG" compliance testing as defined by USB-Implementors Forum. Palm may not have done. Palm probably made sure that it works with the audio headset that comes with 800w and stopped there.

If not advertised, let's hope OTG functionality is left enabled in Pre at the least.
    The Pre rally needs host capabilities - look at how small they are making flash drives. Get one of the below in micro USB flavor and viola! Who needs MicroSD?

http://m.gizmodo.com/site?t=ZEW7M0P5...0Q&sid=gizmodo

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/04/unusually-tiny.php
    Last edited by sir_mycroft; 04/22/2009 at 01:18 PM.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbcmd View Post
    the 800w has this capability?
    Yes Doctor

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...ort-lives.html
    The Pre would no longer fit in a form fitted case or cradle.

That is if the goal is to always leave it in which would be the goal in lieu of a mSD card. It would also look like a big zit on the nice side curves of the Pre.

Nice for side by side or stacked USB slots.

Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    The Pre rally needs host capabilities - look at how small they are making flash drives. Get one of the below in micro USB flavor and viola! Who needs MicroSD?

Gizmodo Post Detail

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/04/unusually-tiny.php
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    I am saying I hope Palm gave the Pre USB host capability. A surprise bonus if you will. The CPU is capable & the driver is available. I didn't say Palm claimed / advertised this ability.
    They did not enable the USB host. Well, no power supply, anyway. I'll try it, again, with a powered USB hub, but my Palm Pre is going onto eBay. I'm no longer a Palm customer/user. I had hopes they would do it right, but they just don't get it... (And with no other way to expand the storage, what were they thinking?)
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnguy View Post
    (And with no other way to expand the storage, what were they thinking?)
    Um, iPhone?
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnguy View Post
    They did not enable the USB host. Well, no power supply, anyway. I'll try it, again, with a powered USB hub, but my Palm Pre is going onto eBay. I'm no longer a Palm customer/user. I had hopes they would do it right, but they just don't get it... (And with no other way to expand the storage, what were they thinking?)
    You're abandoning Palm and your Pre because a product didn't have a capability that they never advertised or hinted about in any way whatsoever? What made you think it would be there? There are some things to dislike about the Pre, but having bought one with no removable storage, it seems odd to return it for lack of removable storage!
    that would have to be one of the dumbest reasons I've heard to return the Pre. I really thought they were going to activate the milkshake blender function too, but they didn't. Bastards. Mine's going back too.
    Forget him.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Forget him.
    Yeah, you are all acting like adults.

Many of you are putting words in my email that were never there.

1) i will never own an iPhone either. It has problems I had hoped would be overcome with Pre. Some were but USB host is a requirement for me, now (which limits me, but that's life... for a while... this IS changing and the Pre will be behind in just a few months).

2) I never claimed that I bought the Pre expecting USB host to work. Frankly, I didn't expect it to and w&s prepared to sell it when it didn't. In the past, Palm has stated that none of their devices have USB host. I proved them wrong (and some of the PalmOS devices have it, too, but without the power supply). Hence, I needed to try it to know for sure.

Could we stay on topic, please? The Palm Pre does not have a USB host port. Sorry for my editorial comment that threw some of you into defense mode.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast