Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnguy View Post
    Yeah, you are all acting like adults.

Many of you are putting words in my email that were never there.

1) i will never own an iPhone either. It has problems I had hoped would be overcome with Pre. Some were but USB host is a requirement for me, now (which limits me, but that's life... for a while... this IS changing and the Pre will be behind in just a few months).

2) I never claimed that I bought the Pre expecting USB host to work. Frankly, I didn't expect it to and w&s prepared to sell it when it didn't. In the past, Palm has stated that none of their devices have USB host. I proved them wrong (and some of the PalmOS devices have it, too, but without the power supply). Hence, I needed to try it to know for sure.

Could we stay on topic, please? The Palm Pre does not have a USB host port. Sorry for my editorial comment that threw some of you into defense mode.
    Wait a minute... WTF do you expect about this post?

They did not enable the USB host. Well, no power supply, anyway. I'll try it, again, with a powered USB hub, but my Palm Pre is going onto eBay. I'm no longer a Palm customer/user. I had hopes they would do it right, but they just don't get it... (And with no other way to expand the storage, what were they thinking?)
    On this post YOU say (not me) that:

1) Your Pre doesn't have USB Host (they didn't stated that never, althought they have had products that works as Host)

2) You'll put your pre on auction (easy to suppose you're doing it BECAUSE it doesn't have USB Host, that again, Palm never stated it has)

3) You'll no longer be a Palm customer (BECAUSE, AGAIN, it doesn't have USB Host, that again, Palm never stated it has)

If you don't try to troll this thread, tell me which reasoned analysis you made before buying the Pre if USB Host is a must have for you.
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbcmd View Post
    the 800w has this capability?
    Yes,
    i am using it
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I will try my 800W cord on Pre and see how it behaves.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    okay folks ,
    I tried it , nope
    negative.

I have the microUSB cord which I used for 800W.
    plugged it in to my Pre .
    Then plugged the flash drive,
    it doesn't work.

I wish I had a file manager ( like windows explorer) so that I can see if there is any drive added to pre.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    If you don't try to troll this thread, tell me which reasoned analysis you made before buying the Pre if USB Host is a must have for you.
    Yes, I made the mistake of letting you into my world by saying that I will not be keeping my Pre due to this omission, but I feel the trolls are the ones who have to beat down anyone who does not agree with them on a bulletin board. What is so offensive about me telling people what I will do?

If you don't care about USB host, fine. I don't fault you for that. For me, it's very important. I never claimed to be mislead nor did I expect it to work, frankly. For me it's simple; try it. If it works, I will use it for my development needs. If it does not work, I'll sell it to someone who can find a use for it. In the past, Palm claimed that the 800w did not have a USB host port but that was untrue. Hence, I cannot trust what Palm advertises or tells me in the developer forums (which is where I was told, by a Palm employee, that the 800w did not have a USB host port).

What's "trollish" about that?

I thought I was doing the Treo Central community a service when I told everyone how the 800w has a fully function USB host port. Then I thought I was doing the same when I saw this thread and reported that the Pre does not support this.

Fact: Treo 800w has a USB host port
    Fact: Pre does not have a USB host port

If you want to make personal attacks, kindly do them in private.

I'll promise to stick to the facts and not opine in the future. Seems these boards are no place for opinions.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    okay folks ,
    I tried it , nope
    negative.

it doesn't work.

I wish I had a file manager ( like windows explorer) so that I can see if there is any drive added to pre.
    Two for two, folks. It simply doesn't work. And I did try my powered USB hub as well... still nothing.
    Yes, I made the mistake of letting you into my world by saying that I will not be keeping my Pre due to this omission, but I feel the trolls are the ones who have to beat down anyone who does not agree with them on a bulletin board. What is so offensive about me telling people what I will do?

If you don't care about USB host, fine. I don't fault you for that. For me, it's very important. I never claimed to be mislead nor did I expect it to work, frankly. For me it's simple; try it. If it works, I will use it for my development needs. If it does not work, I'll sell it to someone who can find a use for it. In the past, Palm claimed that the 800w did not have a USB host port but that was untrue. Hence, I cannot trust what Palm advertises or tells me in the developer forums (which is where I was told, by a Palm employee, that the 800w did not have a USB host port).

What's "trollish" about that?

I thought I was doing the Treo Central community a service when I told everyone how the 800w has a fully function USB host port. Then I thought I was doing the same when I saw this thread and reported that the Pre does not support this.

Fact: Treo 800w has a USB host port
    Fact: Pre does not have a USB host port

If you want to make personal attacks, kindly do them in private.

I'll promise to stick to the facts and not opine in the future. Seems these boards are no place for opinions.
    I'm sorry, but you have to admit you sure looked like a troll in your post about the Pre. It sure looked like you bought the Pre thinking this feature was there and then were mad at Palm because it wasn't so now you're getting rid of it. Go back and read your post. Here, let me quote it for you:
    They did not enable the USB host. Well, no power supply, anyway. I'll try it, again, with a powered USB hub, but my Palm Pre is going onto eBay. I'm no longer a Palm customer/user. I had hopes they would do it right, but they just don't get it... (And with no other way to expand the storage, what were they thinking?)
    Now it appears that you bought it as an experiment, fully expecting that it might not have USB host capabilities, and fully planning on selling it right away if it didn't have it. If so, you could have said it in your original post, but instead you claimed to be mad () about the lack of it. So, sorry about that, but you sure looked like you were trolling (picking a miniscule lack of a feature or a flaw and judging the phone by that one thing). You can't get upset at everyone for jumping on you, though.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    So I guess I don't understand why people feel they need to jump all over others in a forum like this. If someone says something that's untrue, correct the statement. If someone says something you disagree with say so, but why attack the messenger? A real troll will not be put off by attacks. Only reasonable people will be and then you lose them and their reasonable insights.

Knowing that Palm probably doesn't care about my personal feelings, I should have refrained from making my "mad" and other statements about them, but I was really hoping for the best (not that they led me to believe what I was hoping for would be there). It was late and my emotions got the better of me.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Bsnguy
    Iam eager for the hack to come out.
    This USB host thing is very useful feature.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Bsnguy
    Iam eager for the hack to come out.
    This USB host thing is very useful feature.
    It's probably not going to supply power, though. And it won't be that useful without drivers. If it works at some point (or on some device) then I begin the banging on doors (or email addresses) to get information on doing the custom driver I need. To be clear, even if the flash drive (or my custom hardware) powered up, it might not have been useful.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I have to try that , i.e. connecting to a powered External hard drive.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    It doesn't work, either.

Even if it gets hacked to turn on the USB host port, it will need the externally powered devices, is my point.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    It doesn't work, either.

Even if it gets hacked to turn on the USB host port, it will need the externally powered devices, is my point.
    So you are saying a hack would enable it to talk to a powered external USB drive, but the Pre won't power an external drive ?

How can you tell ? because the power didn't pass thru the cord ? or the flash drive didn't get the power ?

or is it in the specs somewhere?

Nevertheless , I will be happy even if it works with powered USB drives.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    So you are saying a hack would enable it to talk to a powered external USB drive, but the Pre won't power an external drive ?
    If there is a hack, it won't enable power, I would not think.

How can you tell ? because the power didn't pass thru the cord ? or the flash drive didn't get the power ? or is it in the specs somewhere?
    I have custom hardware that I connect and I can see (via my LED) if the +5V is there. It will be there if the USB port will power it and if the board will autosense when a USB host cable is present (which is was). This is done with a simple switch so it should work. Since it doesn't, I suspect there is no power supply or, at the least, it will not autosense. It would be a really silly design to do the later (with no cost savings at all) which is why I draw the conclusion that the power supply is simply not there. There are no specs that claim USB host is supported at all which also makes me believe it's not there.

I want to reiterate that it's probably false hope to think a simple hack will be coming. The data needed to do it is tightly held and not available to the public. License agreements buy the manufacturers preclude them from sharing it and if they are found to have leaked it, they are in deep doodoo. The Qualcomm chipsets that are in just about every HTC phone, for example, have had this capability for >5 years yet no one has hacked it, yet (and I do have the data to do it, at least partially, but there are drivers needed that I cannot get my hands on as they must be licensed).

There is hope that Android will be fixed (not hacked as there is published support for at least some of what's needed) but even then it's not been done, yet, and the G1 phones don't have the power supply, physically, either.

Finally, even if there was Pre hack today, there are no drivers (probably) or applications to use whatever you attach. That's a harder nut to crack as how does one get/install the driver? How about writing one (like I need to do)? If a flash drive powers up, what's going to use it? I could see the MP3 player being able to access it, but there would need to be a driver and I suspect it's just not there.
    I am interested in the USB host capabilities of the Pre as well. I'd like to be able to connect to a printer or document scanner.

For what it's worth-over at the hackndev website, they have managed to put linux on several palm devices, which under palmos had the hardware capabilities to be usb hosts, but not the software capabilities. With linux running on the treo 650 and 680, they were able to activate the usb host and connect to memory cards, usb bluetooth sticks and a couple of other devices. They did have a problem with not enough power supplied to the devices, which they solved by plugging devices into a powered usb hub.

The palm pre is a different hardware, but it does run linux, so a similar approach could probably be done on the pre.

Hackers at predev.wikidot have already figured out how to get root access to the pre.

You could try going to one of the devopers forums and offer use of your device plus a cash bounty to entice a developer to come up with a way to activate usb host.

Also, if your custom hardware works on linux, it should be possible to port the driver to the palm.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Very cool and encouraging... The PalmOS devices did have the hardware support for USB host although I don't know any PalmOS program that used it (or could). Power is an issue with any phone as they, typically, will peak out at 100 mA (speed is also an issue as only full-speed, not high-speed, mode is supported).

The chipsets are very different in those old devices from the Pre, though, so while similar techniques are needed, different implementations will be needed and that data may be hard to find (but enterprising people abound).
    If it were going to work at all, I believe your drive would have to be powered, as in a powered usb drive or a hub with an ac adapter. Something to that effect.

Lack of a file management system was one of the reasons I returned my Pre.
    okay folks ,
    I tried it , nope
    negative.

it doesn't work.

Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    If it were going to work at all, I believe your drive would have to be powered, as in a powered usb drive or a hub with an ac adapter. Something to that effect.
    It still won't work...

The host port seems to not be active. There is work to try and twiddle the bits to force it to be active, but that still won't guarantee that it will work (there needs to be a switch on the board, also). This is not only software, folks. The hardware has to be on the board, too.
    yah. I actually mentioned that back on the first page. Coming from a Nokia Internet table you needed a hack to get the process started.
    It still won't work...

The host port seems to not be active. There is work to try and twiddle the bits to force it to be active, but that still won't guarantee that it will work (there needs to be a switch on the board, also). This is not only software, folks. The hardware has to be on the board, too.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12