Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Now as a frequent traveler, I've always been curious about the timezone implementation on phones.

Blackberries put everything into Zulu (GMT) and prevent you from seeing the timezone the meeting is in. Example... Meeting at 1:00 EST in NYC cannot be distinguished from a 10:00AM meeting in LA. Yes, it displays the same time, but for people who deal across multiple timezones, it reminds you not to call West early in the morning. (Done it... )

Palm OS had a pretty decent implementation of it, but it was proprietary and there were ALWAYS problems syncing to Outlook because Outlook had their own method. Exchange servers are just as bad...

I'm wondering how the Pre will handle timezones while trying to keep information in the cloud. Do you think they'll just reference GMT without tracking the timezone the meeting is in (besides initial entry, like a BB)?
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Now as a frequent traveler, I've always been curious about the timezone implementation on phones.

Blackberries put everything into Zulu (GMT) and prevent you from seeing the timezone the meeting is in. Example... Meeting at 1:00 EST in NYC cannot be distinguished from a 10:00AM meeting in LA. Yes, it displays the same time, but for people who deal across multiple timezones, it reminds you not to call West early in the morning. (Done it... )

Palm OS had a pretty decent implementation of it, but it was proprietary and there were ALWAYS problems syncing to Outlook because Outlook had their own method. Exchange servers are just as bad...

I'm wondering how the Pre will handle timezones while trying to keep information in the cloud. Do you think they'll just reference GMT without tracking the timezone the meeting is in (besides initial entry, like a BB)?
    What would be great is if it used the GPS to change you Pre clock to the correct time zone automatically!
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Do you think they'll just reference GMT without tracking the timezone the meeting is in (besides initial entry, like a BB)?
    Most likely that, as it's Linux. That would keep everything nice and tidy.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    What would be great is if it used the GPS to change you Pre clock to the correct time zone automatically!
    Palm OS does it just fine off of cell towers right now.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Most likely that, as it's Linux. That would keep everything nice and tidy.
    Yes, but how do I track the initial timezone? It would be nice if they still reference the timezone...
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Back to the original question - I hope that Palm's method works with timezones instead of the zulu time kludge - it seems like a cop-out on RIM's part there.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Palm OS does it just fine off of cell towers right now.
    That is great! I hardly ever travel, but I can see how that would be useful if you did.