1.    #1  
    I haven't heard too much talk about this so I wanted to ask.

Some Palm devices have had stability issues in the past - for whatever reasons. What do we know or suspect about the stability of WebOS (or on the Pre, specifically)?

I got the impression that Palm will have more control...
    1) ...over which applications get on the Pre and
    2) ...over how deeply they can access its core.*

I also noticed the lack of a reset talk or button. I don't know if this should be cause for confidence or concern.

What do you think (and why)?

* - and that's all I'm gonna say about that since that's not my area of expertise
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    How can anyone be sure of what has not been released yet???
    Last edited by Merovingian; 04/17/2009 at 07:28 AM.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    With the underlying Linux, I think that you can count on a high level of stability.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    How can anyone sure of what has not been released yet???
    Long day, today?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    With the underlying Linux, I think that you can count on a high level of stability.
    Linux, as a core, doesn't ensure stable software. Disciplined software development with well-established, adhered-to standards and capable developers ensure stable software. So the real question is whether or not the WebOS team is up to this challenge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Linux, as a core, doesn't ensure stable software.
    But it probably makes it likely that individual program crashes won't kill the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    How can anyone sure of what has not been released yet???
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkMoar View Post
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    O.o

Anywho, without having had hands-on time, its hard to say for sure what the stability will be like, but from all we've seen, it looks pretty stable.
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams

Follow me on Twitter
    I'm expecting some hangs and crashes here and there for a few months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Linux, as a core, doesn't ensure stable software. Disciplined software development with well-established, adhered-to standards and capable developers ensure stable software. So the real question is whether or not the WebOS team is up to this challenge.
    I agree. Also it is much easier for programmers to do their job when designing a system from the ground up for the purposes for which it will in fact be used. Garnett became an unwieldy monster because they were pushing it to do all sorts of things it was not designed for. WebOS on top of Linux has a much better chance at being stable since it was designed from the get go to be constantly connected.

I am hopeful for very good stability. WebOS WILL crash, but hopefully this will be a very infrequent event. I would be happy with 1 crash per month or less. Apps might crash more, but I doubt it.

I don't expect the Linux core to ever crash--it is very mature and very stable.
    Well, the main reason for the PalmOS's instability was its poor memory management. Linux core right there should solve that, making it much more stable than the PalmOS.

Interestingly though, at CES, an attempt to load engadget.com in the browser caused not only the browser, but the whole device to crash.
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkMoar View Post
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Interestingly though, at CES, an attempt to load engadget.com in the browser caused not only the browser, but the whole device to crash.
    Ouch! But one hopes that with several months and a proper testing regimen that they've been able to fix bugs like that.
    It's just an OS + some software, it will crash. Besides, its all new. Don't expect it will not crash (or lock-up) just because its Linux. Even the iPhone crashes, Nokia's crash, so what's the big deal? PalmOS, left to itself, doesn't crash... it is (mostly) the added applications.

Note: I'm not saying it should crash. I'd be great if webOS never crashes.