Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Totally agree, I have been saying since day one the Price Point is going to be the biggest issue for sucess. Now I do not have a clue what the Profit Margin is or the Break even point but if this is priced at $149 its going to fly. Heck i might buy 2 lol. $199 ok I gotta think but sure. $249 ehh maybe I can wait for it to come down. $299 gotta think about that $299+ No way , I will stick with my Centro. In a normal economy price wouldnt be such a huge issue BUT when you got BB, Iphone and GoogleAndroid G1 for $199 or cheaper its a huge issue if you want to have a successful rollout of a new phone and brand new operating system. I seriously think more than anything the price will determine if it is a success. And ofcourse the Palm fanatics will get this phone no matter if its $500 but the genral public will not pay more than $200 for a phone even in a good economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Lina View Post
    If priced correctly, I expect the Pre to do more than alright! Honestly I think there will be quite a few people who purchase it day one. After the initial launch, when it's out in the wild, I expect it to sell like crazy. The Apps for this phone will make it or break it. Actually that's really all Apple has going for it.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 04/19/2009 at 08:35 AM.
    Well we know that's not necessarily true about pricing on phones. If the phone is hot, people may still pay. But Palm would be wise to keep it low to midrange to grab as many people as possible. $250 is the highest it should go IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Its the market right now. bad sales of higher priced phones. Read this article this week from MSNBC . High priced phones are not selling and cheap ones are. Why do you think the Iphone and G1 phone are all under $200 now and BlackBerry has priced there phones under $200. If Sprint/Palm prices it above $200 they are shooting themselves in the foot. The general public does not buy expensive phones anymore (especially now) . Phones over $200 are not selling well . My opinion is that is Palm/Sprint does make this phone over $249 they will have issues selling it , then again I think this is common sense. Again dont know there break even point but they can have a winner if they can keep it close to $199.

Smartphone consumers opt for 'cheap chic' - Wireless- msnbc.com

Cell phone makers are expected to report buoyant sales of lower-priced, feature-packed smartphones as consumers opt for "cheap chic" amid the global recession.

Research in Motion, the second-largest maker of smartphones after Nokia, surprised investors on April 2 with strong profits fueled by consumer-oriented, more affordable Blackberry models, and gave a rosy outlook.

Nokia is set to report a sharp fall in January-March profits when it releases quarterly results on April 16, with strong sales of its cheap touch-screen 5800 smartphone expected to be one of the few bright spots.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well we know that's not necessarily true about pricing on phones. If the phone is hot, people may still pay. But Palm would be wise to keep it low to midrange to grab as many people as possible. $250 is the highest it should go IMO.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 04/19/2009 at 06:47 AM.
    I guess I just don't get why a low price makes any difference. With the possible, but sadly unlikely, exception of keeping an existing SERO plan, this phone will require a minimum commitment of a $70/month plan for 2 years. That's $1680 before taxes. I estimate the unsubsidized cost of the Pre at a minimum of $600. Is a $150 or $250 price tag really going to fool anybody?
    This week the tech guru in the WSJ gave Apple's improved version of it's WebOS a good review. He did say it has some issues for PC vs Mac users. BlazorBoy
    You dont pay the $1680 all at once. If the phone cost $600 but they gave the option to pay $40 a month it would be different. And the cost of Plans are a Constant and the price of the Phone is a variable. If you walk into a store and theres 3 laptops $600 , $650 and $900 and they do essentially the same thing with some variations the cheaper ones will fly . The cost of Internet service , say $50 to Verizon Fios dosnet enter into the equation for most its a fixed cost.

Folks are looking for a Smart Phone , they see a Iphone for $199 , a G! Android for $179 , A BalckBerry Bold for $199 , a Instinct 530 for $49 , a LG Versa for $199 , a BB Curve for $99 , Treo pro for $199 and a Palm Pre for $300 . Which one looks out of place on this day and age. The HTC Touch pro was not a big seller for Sprint even with alot of hype on it at $249, Bet it would have done better at $199.

Quote Originally Posted by balboadave View Post
    I guess I just don't get why a low price makes any difference. With the possible, but sadly unlikely, exception of keeping an existing SERO plan, this phone will require a minimum commitment of a $70/month plan for 2 years. That's $1680 before taxes. I estimate the unsubsidized cost of the Pre at a minimum of $600. Is a $150 or $250 price tag really going to fool anybody?
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    This week the tech guru in the WSJ gave Apple's improved version of it's WebOS a good review. He did say it has some issues for PC vs Mac users. BlazorBoy
    Apple does not have a version of WebOS, improved or otherwise. The reviewer was discussing Mobile Me, which is an Apple service for email, calendar, and online storage. You are able to access the service from an iPhone, iPod Touch, PC, or Mac. It's not an operating system.
    Analyst predicting the end of Pre:
    World Of Wallstreet: PALM after its PRE phone fails...
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234